Assume v. Presume

There's more to satellite than Sky.
I think the reference to Sky was a bit of a generic one as that's what most chavs think of as being the only satellite transmissions and probably have not heard of SES either. I would dispute that the 'more difficult' satellites need an Engineer to install, just a satellite system installer with lots of experience. Unless of course you are talking Jodrell Bank type installations. :)

I would dispute that the 'more difficult' satellites need an Engineer to install, just a satellite system installer with lots of experience.
Well, yes, if they are just going to pick the biggest dish off the shelf and hope.

No. I said an installer with lots of experience. He should know what is feasible in the area concerned.
Any idiot can just pick the biggest dish off the shelf and hope.
Why are you saying that you need an engineering degree for satellite TV installations?

No. I said an installer with lots of experience. He should know what is feasible in the area concerned.
Any idiot can just pick the biggest dish off the shelf and hope.
Why are you saying that you need an engineering degree for satellite TV installations?
Why would it be idiotic to pick the biggest dish? Sounds sensible to me, but then perhaps I am an idiot.

As for pointing it in the right direction, is that hard? I managed to do it up in the signal fringes of Sheffield, where even a flake of snow causes the signal to disappear.:eek:

You seem to be. It would be idiotic to pick a 2M dish to receive 28.2E from the south coast!:roflmao:
Which sat has "signal, fringes" in Sheffield. Surely not 28.2E or 19.2E? And people who deal with Sky tend to call their installers "engineers", when pretty much a tin plate with an LNB, pointed in the right direction would probably do the job. (not sure about weather fade though.;))

:roflmao:
I expect it'll be different now, but after reading the stuff above I scrolled down and hit the bottom of the page ... and there was an ad with a big headline:
Call Us - Aerial Fitters (sic)

I didn't. What I said was that if you want/need a bespoke solution it would be an engineering job to define a solution that meets the requirement specification. A fitter will just stick with what he knows; an engineer can work out a solution to fit the need from the specifications of the available parts, even without prior experience of the parts in question.

an engineer can work out a solution to fit the need from the specifications of the available parts, even without prior experience of the parts in question.

But that isn't an exclusive quality of engineers.

You seem to be. It would be idiotic to pick a 2M dish to receive 28.2E from the south coast!:roflmao:
Which sat has "signal, fringes" in Sheffield. Surely not 28.2E or 19.2E? And people who deal with Sky tend to call their installers "engineers", when pretty much a tin plate with an LNB, pointed in the right direction would probably do the job. (not sure about weather fade though.;))
Have you tried then?

But that isn't an exclusive quality of engineers.
I think that was a pretty close description of somebody who would be described as an engineer rather than just a technician. It's the difference between repeating what one is trained to do (or just following a manual step by step), and exceeding ones training to produce novel results.

I think that was a pretty close description of somebody who would be described as an engineer rather than just a technician. It's the difference between repeating what one is trained to do (or just following a manual step by step), and exceeding ones training to produce novel results.
No, it's more general than an engineer. Scientists do that. So do many medics. Most academics do it. It has nothing to do with being an engineer, IMHO.

((Engineer ==>Creative)&Creative) ==> Engineer

The consequent fallacy.

If you are claiming that creative technicians are all engineers, there are plenty who are scientists, say, not engineers, eg, chemists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scientists investigate and create knowledge for its own end - they do not apply science for practical benefit. Chemistry is a branch of science, chemical engineering is a branch of technology/engineering.

Daily Mail online today said:
It {the asteroid} will pass closest to the Earth at 20:32GMT today coming twice as close to the Earth as the moon.
And
On Jan 24, an asteroid {snip} flew by Earth, coming 30 per cent closer to our planet than the moon.
WTF does that mean exactly. (especially example 1)
The actual figures are 100,214 miles and 162,525 miles respectively.

Back