Assume v. Presume

It seems to mean someone who has no interest in politics. However much you disagree with Corbyn, that seems to be a strange description of him.

It seems to mean someone who has no interest in politics. However much you disagree with Corbyn, that seems to be a strange description of him.
Really?
Susie Dent (Countdown Dictionary Corner) said:
Mugwump: an old and mocking Massachusetts term for a bigwig who, particularly in politics, is non-committal, aloof, or fickle.
Sounds like Corbyn to me. So, much as I dislike Boris, I think he might have hit the nail on the head with this.

Boris has admitted his mistake now. He was confused with Umpa Lumpas. The desertion of Umpa Lumpas from the Republican to the Democratic party is well documented, of course. As is their sexual abuse of Judy Garland.

He used the wrong word, get over it! He even admits it himself. Nobody thinks the word works, on any level.

The definition of mugwump does not imply a lack of interest in politics as such, more an isolation from the beliefs and opinions of those around him - ie "aloof". One can be aloof without being uninterested (I ought to know!), and sometimes those who deny mainstream thinking turn out to be correct and lauded in history as geniuses of their age (but do I think that applies to Corbyn....).

Last edited:
The definition of mugwump does not imply a lack of interest in politics as such, more an isolation from the beliefs and opinions of those around him - ie "aloof". One can be aloof without being disinterested

Make your mind up! Are you talking about lack of interest or impartiality? They have quite different meanings, and neither applies to JC. You could describe him as having a disregard for the views of other Labour MPs, and possibly voters, but that is a third meaning again.

Sorry, meant "uninterested" rather than "disinterested". Yeah, "having disregard" is vaguely synonymous with "aloof".

I'm not very keen on the definition of "disinterested" as "impartial" - I would use "impartial"!

Costa Coffee sign:

OPEN
EVERYDAY
TILL LATE
Do they need to advertise their ordinariness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back