Assume v. Presume

Sky at Night mis-spelt "perturbation" on their caption (last night's programme) - they put up "PERTUBATION".

Local radio station asked for people to ring in with examples of the wrong words used in common expressions - here's some of the examples I heard:
  • As easy as falling off a piece of cake (falling off a log/piece of cake)
  • Learning kerb (curve)
  • Splitting image (spitting)
  • Going at it like a bull at a goat (gate).
There were probably many more.

Quest (How It's Made): "each piece is nine tenths of a centimetre thick"

That'll be 9mm then.

A few minutes later: "wire one and a half millimetres thick" - so they do know about mm then!

According to a question on The Chase, there is a word which means "writing materials" and also "standing still". Hmm...

Close, but no cigar. Is a word defined by how it sounds or how it is spelled? The latter in my book.

Actually, I've goofed. I have wound back and the question said "sounds the same as" - they're off the hook. :(

Commonly mispronounced (and therefore mis-spelt) words:

have ("of")
fulfill ("forfill")​

Seems a short list, anyone got any more? I'm sure there was another one bugging me which got me thinking about this post, but I can't now call it to mind.

The way I see it is that "should have" (etc) contracted to "should've" became mispronounced as "should of". Only then does "of" replace "have" - so although it is ignorance it is also mispronunciation. Unfortunately this is endemic in the evolution of language, and no doubt some time soon the dictionary will show "auxiliary verb of perfect aspect" as an alternative definition for "of".

Back