Assume v. Presume

effect/affect

I'm not convinced these are examples along the same line - misuses (is that malapropism?) rather than mis-spellings?

Nucular, mispronunciation of nuclear, but do offenders spell it that way?

Alot have people say it that whey.

They're there their

The first is pronounced differently. Even though it doesn't begin with a d.

Yes, I'm not talking about homonyms (or close homonyms), I'm focussing on mispronounciations which have been reinforced by spelling. That's not the same as picking the wrong homonym when spelling.

Heard this on BBC Breakfast today. Well, heard half of it, so I'm guessing the context.
The presenter claimed the following scenario gave a correct sentence with the most consecutive ands.

The landlord of the George and the Dragon needed a new sign. He said to the signwriter "Ensure that the spacing between George and and, and and and the are the same". (my attempt at punctuation) 5 ands :eek:. I think, in the written form, this would benefit from some quotation marks. "Ensure that the spacing between 'George' and 'and', and 'and' and 'the' are the same".

Last edited:
That's got whiskers. Here's another oldie:

(Written English class) Jim, while Fred had had 'had', had had 'had had'. 'Had had' had had the teacher's approval.

More context then (totally contrived of course): two pupils constructing sentences, one wrote 'had' and the other wrote 'had had'.

Yes there is, it's the opposite of left and anything that is not wrong.:roflmao:
Or are we talking relativity and large hadron colliders here.

Back