• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.0!

This is a major upgrade which changes the look and feel of the forum somewhat but brings a host of improvements too. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and report any issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

Assume v. Presume

I don't think it's possible to be startled by news of the death of a close relative (say), although one might be both surprised and shocked. I could startle you in the process of delivering the news, but not by the news.
I beg to differ, smacking you about the head with the news paper that contained the obituary column would surely startle you.

MikeSh

East Anglian Daily Times today:

New on-the-spot fines have come into force today of up to £150 as part of a new crackdown.

The penalty is now more than twice the previous levy of £80.

OP
OP
Black Hole

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
"I am not sure whether this is a bug or how it is expected to work?" (https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/4000t-scheduled-recordings-timings-wrong.8665/post-121928)

We get quite a lot of this: a sentence that is grammatically a statement, but appended by a question mark as if the reader is then supposed to understand it as a question. Is it a rhetorical question? Why not simply phrase it as a grammatical question, if it is intended to receive an answer, and leave the reader in no doubt of the intention?

"Is this a bug, or how it is expected to work?" - five fewer words, and no doubt as to the intention.

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
OP
OP
Black Hole

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I would go with that one too - there is no other way it could be written in the way it is spoken (purely in writing, it could be avoided: "1000 instances of the letter 'a'").