Assume v. Presume

Probably. Or as they say in Wales "yn ôl pob tebyg". Well that's what Google translate say that they would say. Probably.

I've never heard of a Llundudno, so most likely yes. But not even the Welsh know how to spell their place names: there is a village near here Llantrisant, but the sign at one end of the village has two esses while the sign at the other end has only one.

On similar lines, here's a street in Ryde, IoW.
North end HERE
South end HERE
Seems that they couldn't make up their minds, so covered all bases.

Dammit; inspired by your example I went for Streetview screen grabs to illustrate, and it seems the signs have been corrected!

On similar lines, here's a street in Ryde, IoW.
Déjà vu. I remember pointing out somewhere there is a street in Nottingham known as St James Street, or St James' Street or even St James's Street depending on which map or sign you look at.

Yes, but is the spelling different on the road signs at either end of the street?
Don't think so.
There is another road, a bit nearer to me, where someone (probably Bovis the builders) called it Stavely Road (or possibly Way), but the utility cabinet thinks it is on Staveley Road. I think the builders got it wrong - it should be Staveley as in the old (defunct) Stanton and Staveley Steelworks (or Ironworks as t'internet search has it).

There is a road on the poets estate in Bicester that is called Spenser Close but the sign says Spencer Close. Both are noted poets so who knows which was meant.

I had some pills a year or so ago. The pharmacist came out with the bag and explained in detail about how I had to take one a day in the morning (or evening, I don't recall now).
When I got home and opened the bag the label on the box said to take two a day, one morning, one evening.
I had to phone the chemists to find out which was right :o_O:

"Do not take more than one or two small glasses of grapefruit juice"

How big is a "small glass"? Why does it say "one" when "two" is more than "one"?

No wonder my elderly friend gets confused about her medicines.

No wonder my elderly friend gets confused about her medicines.
My mother is confused enough as it is without mistakes like that on the labels!
The instructions for the previous set of tablets (Simvastatin) were much clearer. Avoid drinking grapefruit juice.

Just heard an ad on BT Sport offering a bet on "either team to win" in the Champions League final. Just off to realise all my assets to raise as much of a stake as I can ...

If the Champions League final always has a winner, then this is clearly a nonsense. Unless they've changed the rules, fixed the final score and it's going to be a draw and you lose all your money - along with everyone else who fell for this scam. ;)

One of the local bus services in Nottingham has this on the website:
ct4n.co.uk said:
Park & Ride Services
Centrelink and Medilink operate from our Queens Drive Park and Ride site just off the A52 (Post Code - NG2 1AP) and Ecolink from our Racecourse Park and Ride site just off the A612 (Post Code - NG2 4BE). Both sites are fully accessible monitored by both CCTV and staff with toilets available on-site. Parking at both sites is free, just pay on the bus for your ticket.
I'm trying to work out why there are "staff with toilets". Something lacking in the punctuation department.

I think the word "both" makes any further punctuation superfluous. Does the free parking mean that you can park there for free without catching a bus, for example meeting up with mates then car-share for the rest of the journey into town?

I think the word "both" makes any further punctuation superfluous.
No it doesn't.
Does the free parking mean that you can park there for free without catching a bus, for example meeting up with mates then car-share for the rest of the journey into town?
Yes, at the first-mentioned site at least as it's also the hospital park'n'ride which is completely free.

I think the word "both" makes any further punctuation superfluous.
Erm, yes and no. Yes, it is possible to work out what it means; No, use of appropriate punctuation would make it immediately comprehensible without having to do a double-take:

Both sites are fully accessible; monitored by both CCTV and staff, with toilets available on-site.

Yes, at the first-mentioned site at least as it's also the hospital park'n'ride which is completely free.
The rules for the Medilink bus have changed. You have to pay unless you have a valid NHS staff/student pass or are using a valid concession card within the correct hours. I know because I had to use it to get to the City Hospital a couple of weeks ago.
I think the word "both" makes any further punctuation superfluous
I know. "Staff with toilets available on-site" is such a stupid concept that the real meaning is obvious. It just looks wrong. I had to read it twice to make sure.
Does the free parking mean that you can park there for free without catching a bus...
Shirley "they" must be aware of this dodge.

Back