Assume v. Presume

I can see the need to clarify which roads are motorways and which are not due to the recent change to allow learner drivers onto them for professional tuition purposes.
Does that not remove whatever need there may or may not have been?
Will they be aware that the sections of road designated A1(M) are motorway or not?
It's not exactly difficult to see the (M) is it? Obviously that is motorway. The blue colour is also a giveaway.
I can see ignorant learners thinking it is OK to practise in their parent's car on these sections of road.
Ignorant learners have to be accompanied by not-so-ignorant non-learners, who presumably are able to correct any such misapprehensions.

I'm mystified why there are no longer signs at the approach to motorways declaring the restrictions. Hell, there are motorway approaches around here that don't even advise the change of speed limit.

What do you call it when there is a target date and the planning is in reverse chronological order with that taget date as the base date?

What do you call it when there is a target date and the planning is in reverse chronological order with that taget date as the base date?
You mean when the answer that you tell your boss is that "We needed to have started this project six months ago to meet that target date". :D

You mean when the answer that you tell your boss is that "We needed to have started this project six months ago to meet that target date". :D
Or work with the client to see if there is some flexibity in the target date and the budget, and whether the client is open to bare the risk in reducing any contingency in the plan.

I'm mystified why there are no longer signs at the approach to motorways declaring the restrictions. Hell, there are motorway approaches around here that don't even advise the change of speed limit.
Saves money.

You are supposed to know the national speed limit and restrictions on the various roads and for your type of vehicle. You are expected to recognise when the spacing of lamp posts means that the speed limit is 30 mph in a built up area. Why waste money putting signs up and maintaining them?:D

A fixed term contract.
Various university contracts I've worked on start with "you will provide x by the end date". Then we have to negotiate [plan] what will be delivered in six months, a year etc.

Why waste money putting signs up and maintaining them?
Money was no object when they were imposing those ridiculous 20mph zones everywhere round here. There are probably more 20 signs than 30 signs now. Then councils are bleating poverty at every opportunity. But we're drifting on to the Driving and Roads thread again...

"Comprises"

What a weird verb that is. Items A, B, and C comprise assembly D. Assembly D comprises items A, B, and C. (Note: not "is comprised of".)

I can't think of anything similar.

The joys of living in rented accommodation - the annual gas check. If I ignore the fact that something recorded wasn't actually checked, I had to laugh at the supposed defect: "testes smoke alarms". What a load of b....x! I don't have smoke alarms in my underwear.

There are many times I go in and not come out with anything extra!
I only point this out because my tired brain had to read this twice. I wasn't sure whether you went into Aldi and never came out again. :D (The "with anything extra" gives the game away - but I did a double take!)

When reading an article, tap the four-lines button on the top menu. This engages Reader View and will strip away the cruft and reformat the page into a clear, easy-to-digest layout with no ads or distracting font choices.
Cruft? Is that a euphemism or a spell-check misreplacement?

Cruft? Is that a euphemism or a spell-check misreplacement?
Not a word I'd ever heard of before - outside the context of a dog show.
However, if you believe Wikipedia ( :rolling: ) then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruft said:
Cruft is a jargon word for anything that is left over, redundant and getting in the way. It is used particularly for defective, superseded, useless, superfluous, or dysfunctional elements in computer software.
Almost any software then!

Back