Assume v. Presume

Who? What? Pronounced??
Chumley-Marchbanks (or maybe Marshbanks)
I can't remember who referred to the name in the double-barrelled form. Probably a radio comedy.
However...
Graham Green - A Gun For Sale said:
Raven said, "I thought you were never coming , Mr Chol-mon-deley", pronouncing every syllable.
"Chumley, my dear man, Chumley," Mr Cholmondeley corrected him.
A right pain that book was when it was used as a "reading out aloud" text in secondary school. Can't tell your Chumleys from your Cholmondeleys.

As anyone who listened to Radio Luxembourg would well know. Spelled K. E. Y. N. S. H. A. M.:)
Yes indeed, and ever since the post at the top I've been trying but I just can not remember what the advert was for :mad:

Thought I'd found a new word to describe the "lunchbox" area when I read the news on the BBC replacement for Ceefax.
BBC News said:
Nurmagomedov beats McGregor and starts brawl
Ugly scenes marred UFC 229 as lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov began a brawl by the octagon after beating Conor McGregor.
Seconds after landing a fourth-round submission, the Russian vaulted the cage and headed towards Irishman McGregor's team, prompting a melee.
Still recovering from the bout, McGregor was then punched in the octagon by one of Nurmagomedov's team
UFC president Dana White said three of Nurmagomedov's party had been arrested.
Ouch!

I think the BBC realised the problem as later reports replaced the third line with: "Meanwhile, McGregor was involved in a bust-up in the octagon with members of his opponent's team."

I wonder if twitface is responsible for these multiple words being written as one. #IWantToHaveAVeryLongHashTagOnMyTwitfaceFeed.

As I cruised by the telly this morning, that insurance scam programme that's on BBC1 had in-vision subtitles which said something like "had of" instead of "had have", when clearly the person speaking said "have". They did it twice in close succession.
Depressing isn't it?

What's more depressing is that your telly is so big that you can cruise by it. :(
All subtitles are a problem. Sky News and RT do in-vision subtitles so small I can't read them - You'd be alright with your big telly. :p
Then there are the subtitles on BBC4 foreign dramas. White subtitles on a white background. Argh! :mad:
I know there have been problems with live subtitling on programmes - usually the optional ones. If you are referring to that nonsense "Claimed and Shamed" they can't even use the live subtitling excuse. Some numpty doing the subtitles post-production needs to listen more carefully. Unless it is automated and the speach recognition software needs tweaking for whatever accent.

:roflmao: Looks like I need some typing recognition software! How the hell that one got through I don't know. I can't blame the speech recognition software for that howler.

What's more depressing is that your telly is so big that you can cruise by it. :(
It's 32". I used it meaning I skimmed the content as it flowed past me rather than sat down to watch it.
If you are referring to that nonsense "Claimed and Shamed" they can't even use the live subtitling excuse.
I think it was called that. But I didn't mean subtitles as in pressing the button on the remote control, which are usually a joke, especially on live programmes. I meant it more like captions of transcribed (disguised) voices i.e. something that's actively been done as part of the production, rather than anything that's happened afterwards, like I guess normal subtitles are (Red Bee Access Services etc.).

You'd expect the local fire and rescue people to know where their firestations are. Notts F&R tweeted:
NFR.png
Ilkerston doesn't exist. It's Ilkeston, and it is in Derbyshire.
What is even worse is that other people are using the hash tag Ilkerston.
Don't they teach geography and spelling in schools these days?

Back