Assume v. Presume

Reducing the number of syllables does not make it right.
I didn't say it does.
I was just saying that it is to be expected (logically, and I know human behaviour is often not logical) that where the same of anything can be achieved with less resources then the lower resource solution is likely to be preferred. Just one aspect of 'common use'.

But both the above usages are in the past tense, so either is correct as far as I can see.
Yes, I think so. But if you put them in a context one may 'fit' better. Eg, tack "and a loud motorbike went past." on the end and the first one seems to work better. Tack "My feet were sore so " on the front and the second works better.
Although I'm sure people use both forms, I can't help feeling something is wrong with the first. It just doesn't sit right. :D
See above :)

The reason for my original comment is the frequently misused form of the type "he was sat in the waiting room". In fact, I rarely seem to hear the correct passive form of the verb these days.

I can hardly believe this (or how topical it is), but spotted on the NT website yesterday!:

C0299F1A-871B-4886-AD08-E249393F6D96.jpeg

Last edited:
I've searched to see if this has been mentioned before and can't find it - but I'll put on my asbestos suit, just in case...

Am I the only one who gets annoyed with the slack use of the term kilo to mean kilogramme? [aside: I was taught to spell it gramme not gram]. As stated on other threads kilo means a thousand. "I'll have a kilo of potatoes, please". "You really want a thousand spuds?".
The current annoying Morrisons advert with turkey £7 per kilo - great value! A thousand turkeys for £7. I've not got enough space in the freezer.

There is an old joke which someone has attributed to Tommy Cooper:
http://www.mkccc.com/humour/t.htm said:
A man walks into a greengrocer's and says, I want five pounds of potatoes please.
And the greengrocer says, we only sell kilos.
So the man says, all right then, I'll have five pounds of kilos.

I'll have a kilo of potatoes, please". "You really want a thousand spuds?".
"a (or 1) kilo potatoes" would be 1000 potatoes. Putting "of" in changes it to mean the most common use of kilo i.e. kilogram
There is an old joke which someone has attributed to Tommy Cooper
It's the way you tell 'em. :roflmao:
Oh, er, that was someone else.

It could possibly be politically correct, but it's completely wrong grammar wise.
No it isn't. Would you say "he too" or "him too"? That tells you whether it should be "I" or "me".
It's "I too."; as in "I too have been touched on the leg by a paedophile."
"I too." is completely different to "I too have been...".
It probably should have commas anyway, as in "I, too, have been...".

That's blx.
Adding the rest of the truncated sentence or by omitting part of a sentence is the way to establish whether to use I or me,.
"Me too". is not a fully formed sentence.
SEE HERE

"Me too" what? Add the 'wheat' and you will see it's wrong.

Last edited:
AvP territory (now moved)

"Me too" (as a complete expression, whether grammatical or not) is well founded in common usage going back decades of not centuries. Using the alternative "I too" would sound pretentious. In a sentence, "I, too, ..." is probably correct according to what follows, because the "too" should be ignored in the construction (and "also" could be better).

Last edited:
AvP territory.

"Me too" (as a complete expression, whether grammatical or not) is well founded in common usage going back decades of not centuries. Using the alternative "I too" would sound pretentious. In a sentence, "I, too, ..." is probably correct according to what follows, because the "too" should be ignored in the construction (and "also" could be better).
As the proposition with which you are agreeing is negative, it should be 'me neither'. There is huge scope for a #Me_neither movement.

Back