Assume v. Presume

[With tongue firmly in cheek - mainly because I don't understand the new usage of the term "leverage" myself - and it usually p's me off that people pronounce it the American way]
It strikes me that sweeper could be leveraged to create medialist titles if necessary.
How on earth can you prise a piece of software out of your Humax using a crowbar and pivot and create media titles? :confused:

and it usually p's me off that people pronounce it the American way
Made me stop and think. I would probably use both pronunciations - for physical effort like to someone struggling to lift a paving slab: "You need more leeverage" but if talking about finance I'd probably use the American "You need more levverage".
As software is not physical I'd probably use the American.

mainly because I don't understand the new usage of the term "leverage" myself
Let's use "persuade" instead. Oh, wait, at least in my workshop that has both meaning too (but more often involves a hammer than a crowbar)

Yeah yeah, I'll hold my hand up to that, but it is tricky thinking of a less Americanised synonym. "Employ" or "use" don't quite cut it. The intention is to express the idea that particular capabilities might be used to good effect.

Let's use "persuade" instead. Oh, wait, at least in my workshop that has both meaning too (but more often involves a hammer than a crowbar)
The "celebrity builder" Tommy Walsh (Ground Force), has been known to refer to his hammer as a persuader.

Back