Assume v. Presume

I spot a split infinitive... and an assumption (that readers of the text message will have a data connection so that they can action a link).

It says "polite" because that's one letter different from "police" and gets misread as such without being misrepresentation (other than the fact it's not polite).

Reminds me of when I was a small lad, there were traffic police, seperate from the main police force, and they had Triumph motorcycles with a fairing that had TRAFFIC emblazened across the front. One of the local yound lads had a similar Triumph with fairing on which he had emablazoned TERRIFIC.

"That" is an indicator, "which" is a differentiator.

"Which" is falling into disuse, because the modern trend is to use "that" wherever "which" used to be correct (except in a question).

Alphabetical Order: why is it A-Z? I appreciate this probably has its roots in Greek, but who decided alpha should come before beta (etc)?

Another question is ...... Do other languages follow the same order ?
The order in Welsh is:

a, b, c, ch, d, dd, e, f, ff, g, ng, h, i, j, l, ll, m, n, o, p, ph, r, rh, s, t, th, u, w, y

The only surprise is "ng", and it's still clearly based on Greek via Latin.

However, even knowing this (and the subtle differences in the pronunciation of each letter/diphthong), it can be difficult looking things up because the start of the word mutates according to the preceding sounds (English mutates the endings), but only appears in the dictionary under its root so you have to know what the root is! Not very helpful.

Anyone know the Cyrillic alphabet?

Last edited:
What is the matter with the script writers for the news?!!

BBC West local news traffic reports: "all lanes have now re-opened and the vehicles have been recovered" – clearly the wrong way around, it should have been "the vehicles have been recovered and all lanes are now open".

Youth Opportunity Scheme I suppose.

Last edited:
Back