Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

How ??

Afaik There is no known way of decrypting existing HD recordings on a Foxsat-HDR only preventing future recordings being encrypted as they are recorded.

Had they been on a HDR-FOX-T2 that's a totally different animal.
That was my understanding. If we survive into the new year I'm going to look at a generic box, perhaps a Zgemma.
Any particular operas in that, I have a few.

You are aware that you could download some of those from YouTube, right?
I have two other programmes in the series, recorded after the first, which the invaluable custom firmware stopped from being encrypted. I found an SD version of Vienna: City of Dreams on YouTube. I'm happy to buy Blu-Rays where available, but my tastes are apparently so uncommercial I've had to order from France, Germany, Spain and even Australia. I do need to be able to keep recordings.
I thought the UHD HDM was quite a useful demonstration of what the Aura could do.

That was my understanding. If we survive into the new year I'm going to look at a generic box, perhaps a Zgemma.

I have two other programmes in the series, recorded after the first, which the invaluable custom firmware stopped from being encrypted. I found an SD version of Vienna: City of Dreams on YouTube. I'm happy to buy Blu-Rays where available, but my tastes are apparently so uncommercial I've had to order from France, Germany, Spain and even Australia. I do need to be able to keep recordings.
I thought the UHD HDM was quite a useful demonstration of what the Aura could do.
I would be very weary of even taking things Humax promised for granted. The proof is in the experience of users, and that's not nice at all.

I've only searched for two of your things and found them both.

eg:

You can keep these forever. And watched on a 4k tv upscaled is quite passable, if you have cataracts, you even get the BBCHD logo

I would be very weary of even taking things Humax promised for granted. The proof is in the experience of users, and that's not nice at all.

I've only searched for two of your things and found them both.

eg:

You can keep these forever. And watched on a 4k tv upscaled is quite passable, if you have cataracts, you even get the BBCHD logo
The Elgar must be a repeat I missed, unless the poster was an early adopter of the firmware.

That's hardly very scientific is it?
I assure you there is a different answer, but I can't be bothered...
I have no doubt a screen can be calibrated according to some defined standards (assuming controls are available), but that's not my point: you can decide you want an industry standard calibration and put up with it, or you can decide you would like the colours a bit more brilliant, or a lot more brilliant (or even more muted). It's the personal choice of the owner.

I have observed that people with drab lives turn the colour up beyond where I like it, but that's their choice and none of my business. Why does it have to be scientific, unless you need to be scientific for some purpose?

I have no doubt a screen can be calibrated according to some defined standards
But the broadcasters/content providers vary.
SWMBO was watching the latest series (season) of The Crown on Netflix and asked me if I could up the brightness and colour as it was so drab, even though all the other content we watch both Netflix and Freeview/sat is fine.

And don't get me started on sound ... Jamaica Inn anybody?

Just compare your own skin tone with Hollys (unless you are BAME).
Last time I was that colour was years ago after I had been in the sun all day.
If you think her skin tone (and the other geezers) are right, then you are colour philistines. :roflmao:

Flesh tones are not trustworthy anyway, once they've applied makeup so as not to appear pasty. Well, guess what: in real life, people are pasty.

Flesh tones are not trustworthy anyway, once they've applied makeup so as not to appear pasty. Well, guess what: in real life, people are pasty.
That's how I adjust my colour preferences, so that most fair skinned people appear pasty. To me it seems realistic. I'd also judge it against the supermarket adverts so that the orange one looks orange, green looks green, blue looks blue etc.
But not many friends and family like that setting. They seem to prefer oversaturated reds. So much so that everything is just too red. So with the supermarket colour schemes the orange one looks almost red, the green one looks almost orange, etc.
I think many prefer the TV image to pop out more.
After messing about the colour options, there's also the sharpness, brightness and contrast to contend with. Luckily many TVs allow you to adjust the standard/vivid/movie profiles so that it allows people to switch to another one quickly.

Last edited:
That's how I adjust my colour preferences, so that most fair skinned people appear pasty.
But that might not be the calibrated colour rendering which prpr prefers (because to obtain end-to-end fidelity, you would need to compare the colour emitted by your screen with the colour received by the camera, in the studio lights with studio makeup).

There is currently no 4K sources on iplayer. When there was it was HLG HDR so viewed on a 4K TV with HLG capability of course it looks superb (not quite up to a 4K-HDR bluray though.
Graham, the following programmes are currently available to stream on BBC iPlayer in UHD.

• Blue Planet II
  • Dracula
  • Dynasties
  • His Dark Materials
  • Seven Worlds, One Planet
See Here for details.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to obtain a BBC Iplayer URL for any of the UHD content so that it could be downloaded using youtube-dl, as viewing on a TV requires a compatible 4K TV and a fast broadband connection

If you think her skin tone (and the other geezers) are right, then you are colour philistines. :roflmao:
Not at all. There is no orange there. Calibrate your display! Some iOS rubbish no doubt.

Back