BBC Four HD mux. change

Hello. This seems like a very interesting debate/forum for all you very clever people who understand what the *** is going on when it comes to broadcasting communications. I am just a customer. The first I knew about this was when one of my 'programs to record' went missing. I had a look at BBC Four HD and the EPG said it had moved; if I could" see this message on 106", I was to retune. So I retuned and BBC Four HD turned up on channel 794. I then had a look at the program guide, and BBC Four HD says "BBC Four HD has moved". If you can see this on 106, please retune.
Can someone explain to a bemused customer what is going on in words of one syllable - (no talk of Mux or COM7/COM8, please) so I know when and where I can once again watch and record BBC Four HD, please.
Many Thanks in anticipation
Silverback

The first I knew about this was when one of my 'programs to record' went missing. I had a look at BBC Four HD and the EPG said it had moved; if I could" see this message on 106", I was to retune. So I retuned and BBC Four HD turned up on channel 794. I then had a look at the program guide, and BBC Four HD says "BBC Four HD has moved". If you can see this on 106, please retune.
Can someone explain to a bemused customer what is going on in words of one syllable - (no talk of Mux or COM7/COM8, please) so I know when and where I can once again watch and record BBC Four HD, please.
Is there not also a working version of BBC FOUR HD on 106?
Now that you have retuned your HDR-FOX T2 you should ignore the alternative version of BBC FOUR HD on 794.
You will need to set up any entries in your schedule for BBC FOUR HD again.
Similarly of you want to watch BBC FOUR HD watch it on 106.

Doesn't this rather depend whether Silverback is able to receive the relevant mux at all? Sorry Silverback, but I don't think being technical is avoidable. You can read up what all these things mean here: Glossary (click).

If you remember the old days when TV was analogue, one station was transmitted on one broadcast frequency (or wavelength, if you prefer), so picking up that station (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, and latterly Channel 4 and Five) was simply a case of adjusting the tuning dial to pick up the right channel (except that all but the oldest TVs had preset buttons instead of a dial).

Digital TV provides lots of stations on each channel, so to pick up a particular service (eg BBC FOUR HD) the receiver needs to dial in the broadcast channel (this is known as a multiplex, or "mux"), and then select the relevant service from the data stream on that channel.

To complicate things, each mux can be either DVB-T or DVB-T2. These are different ways of formatting the data stream, and DVB-T2 is more advanced than DVB-T with a greater information capacity, so although DVB-T was in use first the broadcast authorities would like to migrate to DVB-T2, except there are a lot of early digiboxes out there, provided to wean the public off analogue, that will only do DVB-T. So to start with they only used DVB-T2 for the HiDef versions of services that had a parallel StDef version on DVB-T. And then they started pushing the minor StDef services onto DVB-T2 muxes...

Anyway, back to the plot, to get BBC FOUR HD (wherever it has moved to - I don't bother with it), you need to be able to receive the mux it is being broadcast on. In your location, you might not get all the muxes because some of them are transmitted at low power.

The way you find out is by typing your postcode in here: https://hummy.tv/forum/link-forums/digital-uk-coverage-checker.41/

The way to see what services are on what mux is by looking here: https://hummy.tv/forum/link-forums/digital-uk-industry-channel-listings.34/

When you do a tune, your TV or box might do a fully automatic tuning in which case it will probably scan the full frequency range twice - once for DVB-T channels and then again for DVB-T2 channels, or you might have to tell it to look for DVB-T or DVB-T2 specifically. Humax boxes do the double scan. Alternatively you can manually tune a specific mux by selecting the broadcast channel and modulation (DVB-T or DVB-T2). If the auto-scan doesn't pick up the BBC FOUR HD mux, and the coverage checker says it should, then try a manual tune for the relevant mux.

Where is the clue to silverback having a n HDR T2
OK. Sorry, everyone for not posting relevant details in the original posting - but some good detective work going on here!
I have a HUMAX HDR Fox T2. It's running 1.02.20 with its associated custom firmware. My TV Signals come from Winter Hill. After my retune, channel 106 is not present. As previously stated, Four HD is now on channel 794 - but the EPG message still says BBC Four HD has moved - i.e. there are no programmes.
Thanks
Silverback

I have a HUMAX HDR Fox T2. It's running 1.02.20 with its associated custom firmware. My TV Signals come from Winter Hill. After my retune, channel 106 is not present. As previously stated, Four HD is now on channel 794 - but the EPG message still says BBC Four HD has moved - i.e. there are no programmes.
When the message states that it has "moved" it is referring to which frequency it is being transmitted from. The old frequency is just transmitting the message you are seeing on 794, and soon it won't even display that.
If your aerial is capable of picking up the new frequency for BBC FOUR HD then after a retune it should still appear at 106. Yes that does make the message on 794 a bit confusing if you don't know the technology behind it because to watch BBC Four it hasn't moved off 106!

Go into the manual tuning menu and on that menu select 'Channel' 37 and 'DVB-T2'.
MENU >> Settings >> Installation (default password 0000) >> Manual Search
Does it show any signal strength or quality?
If it does indicate a signal then first make sure that 'Network Search' is 'Off' and then select 'Search'.

@BH and Mike.
My post re HDR T2 (#26) was directed at Luke in post #23.;)
I realised that others did not make that (what turns out to be correct) assumption.

My post re HDR T2 (#26) was directed at Luke in post #23.;)
I realised that others did not make that (what turns out to be correct) assumption.
And a loony assumption at that as the last post 3 1/2 years ago was about the HDR-FOX T2 failing, so the Humax could well have been an HDR-2000T.

When the message states that it has "moved" it is referring to which frequency it is being transmitted from. The old frequency is just transmitting the message you are seeing on 794, and soon it won't even display that.
If your aerial is capable of picking up the new frequency for BBC FOUR HD then after a retune it should still appear at 106. Yes that does make the message on 794 a bit confusing if you don't know the technology behind it because to watch BBC Four it hasn't moved off 106!

Go into the manual tuning menu and on that menu select 'Channel' 37 and 'DVB-T2'.
MENU >> Settings >> Installation (default password 0000) >> Manual Search
Does it show any signal strength or quality?
If it does indicate a signal then first make sure that 'Network Search' is 'Off' and then select 'Search'.
Strength 0%
Quality 0%
Doesn't look good, does it?
PS : On the digital coverage checker pointed out by Black Hole, it says that QUOTE A wideband aerial may be required for channels with this symbol QUOTE.
For the current retune, it shows this symbol for all HD channels except BBC 1, BBC2, ITV, 4 and 5. But in the March retune column, this symbol is absent. So is everything going to 'go back to normal' if I wait until after the March retune?
I just want to watch TV. Gah!
Thanks for all the help
Silverback

Silverback

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pain, but would you just double check that when you checked the strength and quality that the screen did display DVB-T2 and not DVB-T.
Duh! I forgot to actually do the search! Having done it, now, after your question, the result is 'No Channels found'
Silverback

I haven’t been able to retune my main TV - a Loewe Bild - to pick up any channels from COM8 since the recent changes, using either automatic scan or manual tuning. Coverage checking shows I should be able to get COM8 channels and more importantly other devices connected to the same aerial, including 2 x HDR T2s, have retuned successfully. Usually the aerial connection to the TV loops via one of the HDR T2s. I reconnected the aerial directly, removing the Humax from the setup, but this made no difference. Unfortunately, the Loewe supplies little helpful information during the tuning process. A Panasonic TV connected to the same aerial picked up the COM8 channels but reported the signal strength as 8 whereas most others are 10.

I have raised this with Loewe and am awaiting their response. I appreciate that there may not be expertise or much experience here regarding this particular TV, but in general do different manufacturers handle tuning significantly differently? I am hoping to get a better idea as to whether to insist that Loewe sort it out or to get the aerial checked.

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to retune my main TV - a Loewe Bild - to pick up any channels from COM8 since the recent changes, using either automatic scan or manual tuning.
Are you sure you have selected DVB-T2 when manually tuning COM8? All services on this mux will be DVB-T2, regardless of HiDef or StDef.

The options offered in manual retune are DVB-T, DVB-C and DVB-S. Elsewhere in the menus there is reference to DVB-T/T2. I receive the other Freeview HD channels and have previously assumed that the naming convention was irrelevant in this case. Incidentally I carried out a factory reset, deleting then reloading all tuned channels in the process, but still nothing from COM8.

Back