BBC Four HD mux. change

They have already had two weeks to sort themselves out. Pull it as anyone left obviously never watches the channel.

They have already had two weeks to sort themselves out. Pull it as anyone left obviously never watches the channel.

I suspect they'll remove it when the guard interval on COM7 changes, that is what is reducing the bandwidth on COM7 so that the channels don't all fit. Why make changes twice when once will do the job?

I'm having similar but perhaps slightly different problem - anyone else?

Fox-HDR T2

COM7 channels disappeared. Once I'd figured out that they'd moved to COM8 I tried manual retune - got them back, then they disappear again. Tried several times. Now I have reinstalled CF (latest) and done a full auto retune. This worked but COM7 and COM8 channels disappear. I've done manual retune and can get them back, but then they disappear again. I have ~78% signal / 100% qualitry on channels 33 and 35 (COM7 and COM8 Crystal Palace).

BTW - I'm getting BBC 4 HD on 106 - I also see a channel entry on 794 but this just carries the retune message.

Is it just me?

Thanks
Stuart

Last edited:
794 will be the BBC 4 HD on COM 7 for anyone that still hasn't retuned. I notice it is now an MHEG page saying you need to return. The guard interval on COM7 and COM8 from Sandy Heath has changed (I checked, my TV shows the detsils) so there is no longer the bandwidth for the channel on COM7.

COM7 and COM8 channels disappear. I've done manual retune and can get them back, but then they disappear again. I have ~78% signal / 100% qualitry on channels 33 and 35 (COM7 and COM8 Crystal Palace).

BTW - I'm getting BBC 4 HD on 106 - I also see a channel entry on 794 but this just carries the retune message.

Is it just me?
That depends on whether you are the only one with (I suspect) an old version of tunefix installed. Update to the latest (or install tunefix-update which will force it, and prevent you having to retune again on Mar 21st when 3 of the CP muxes change frequency).

Ok. Thanks, I’ll give it a try in th morning. I had read elsewhere about Tunefix version possibly being the cause. That’s partly why I did the reinstall. Its a while since I’ve had to fiddle with packages and I couldn’t see a way to update when I looked. I also didn’t know what tunefix-update was (name is descriptive, but description sowed a seed of doubt). Thanks very much for the pointer. Will report back tomorrow.

With a package set like tunefix + tunefix-update you really need to use the autoupdate package as well. The tunefix system gets 'programmed' by prpr with upcoming changes as needed ,and sometimes at fairly short notice before the event. If you don't visit the forum frequently and read the relevant posts and then update the package(s), your system will almost certainly get tangled.

With a package set like tunefix + tunefix-update you really need to use the autoupdate package as well. The tunefix system gets 'programmed' by prpr with upcoming changes as needed ,and sometimes at fairly short notice before the event. If you don't visit the forum frequently and read the relevant posts and then update the package(s), your system will almost certainly get tangled.
Yes, absolutely. I think I probably should now build in an automatic update mechanism to tunefix-update which doesn't necessarily depend on the auto-update package.

Thanks all for the help. Although I'd looked for updates to tunefix (hence the new CF install also), I had missed the button at the top which loads new update details. Did that, updated tunefix and then installed autoupdate. That eventually sorted everything although I seemed to lose the WebIF a couple of times whilst it was doing things. Installed tunefix-update. Tried to manually tune COM7 and COM8 but somehow ended up with channels in the 800 so did a full automatic tune. All seems good now.

Update to Post #21 : Got a message on screen that a retune would be necessary on March 7th. Did that, and BBC Four HD has reappeared on channel 106 (for the moment/until the next forced retune). Man, there's a lot of rubbish channels on Freeview, now (IMHO) :)
Silverback,

I have read this thread and so, with a heavy heart, I ask:

Will I be able to receive BBC FOUR HD anytime soon?

I was receiving Muxes COM7 & COM8 on Channels 55 & 56 respectively from Sandy Heath.

I no longer am.

I automatically retuned twice, and followed Black Hole's suggestion and did a manual retune on Channel 56.

No joy.

Basically, I am asking if anyone knows if BBC FOUR HD and the other useful HD channels will be moved off of COM7 & COM8 to other muxes?

I was receiving Muxes COM7 & COM8 on Channels 55 & 56 respectively from Sandy Heath.

I no longer am.

Unlikely, COM7 and COM8 have been on UHF 32 and 34 from Sandy Heath until today when they move to 55 and 56. If you have already been receiving them on 55 and 56 that will have been from distant transmitters, they're on a Single Frequency Network on 55 and 56. So when Sandy Heath has sorted itself out during today's frequency moves you may be able to receive them.

I wouldn't expect channels to move off COM7 and COM8 any time soon. To move an HD channel to another mux requires either an existing HD channel to be thrown off PSB3, for which the only glimmer of hope would be a swap between BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD's slots when BBC3 closed. But that chance has probably gone due to the BBC Scotland HD plans which they want on PSB3.

Or it requires another national mux to change to DVB-T2, which no broadcaster is going to contemplate given all the old DVB-T tellies that would suddenly lose all channels on that mux.

None of this will change until COM7 and COM8 close at the end of the 700MHz switch off. At that point we might if we're lucky get another mux changing to DVB-T2, but I am personally moderately pessimistic of the chances. We'll be told to watch HD online, ignoring the fact that BBC4 HD online is lower resolution and bit rate and only stereo sound (on Freeview HD the 5.1 sound for some programmes is great).

Unlikely, COM7 and COM8 have been on UHF 32 and 34 from Sandy Heath until today when they move to 55 and 56. If you have already been receiving them on 55 and 56 that will have been from distant transmitters, they're on a Single Frequency Network on 55 and 56. So when Sandy Heath has sorted itself out during today's frequency moves you may be able to receive them.
You are probably correct.

I was using today's results from http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

FYI This is what Tuned Multiplex Information in Web-IF is telling me.
Code:
Channel Frequency     Network            Mux          Type       Channels     
21     474.0 MHz     Cambs & Beds     PSB3/BBC B     DVB-T2 (HD)     7 
24     498.0 MHz     Cambs & Beds     PSB2/D3&4      DVB-T (SD)     13 
27     522.0 MHz     Cambs & Beds     PSB1/BBC A     DVB-T (SD)     23 
36     594.0 MHz     Cambs & Beds     COM5/ARQ A     DVB-T (SD)     20 
48     690.0 MHz     Cambs & Beds     COM6/ARQ B     DVB-T (SD)     28

If they have just moved from 30s to 55 & 56 your aerial may not have enough gain at those frequencies. I had that problem when Rowridge did this a few months ago and had to fit an additional aerial. If you're in a strong enough signal area you might just need a wideband one instead.

Back