[BootHDR] A method of decrypting recordings on the HD-FOX T2

Try:

Code:
humax# rm -rf /mod/HDRfs
humax# opkg update
humax# opkg install --force-reinstall BootHDR

and post the output... hopefully that will work. Odd that you can't run installHDRfs directly.

Is that right? Should there be a space after "install"?
Yes, that's right, no space.

Try:

Code:
humax# rm -rf /mod/HDRfs
humax# opkg update

and post the output... hopefully that will work. Odd that you can't run installHDRfs directly.

Yes, that's right, no space.

Thank you!
Finally some success :)

After above instructions it rebooted into HDR mode. I noticed the green on the video instead of the blue.
Now I'll have to experiment some more with copying files etc.

I've had really good exercise over the last few days. My pc is upstairs and the box is downstairs.
I still plan to get an HDR box in the future, but meantime I've got over a hundred hours of recordings and I'm sick of burning them to DVD and so on....

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me

I forgot to post the output:
humax# rm -rf /mod/HDRfs
humax#
humax# opkg update
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /mod/var/opkg/base.
humax#
No packages removed.
Installing BootHDR (1.0) to root...
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/BootHDR_1.0_mipsel.opk.
Configuring BootHDR.
HDF Tool v1.0.2, by af123, 2011.

Opening hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf, 16586527 bytes.

Blocks: 509
Model: 4
System ID: 80bc.7e00

x 1.hdfbin-1-000000.raw (16633856 bytes)

Processed in: 21.56s

created 1380 files
created 125 directories
created 142 symlinks
created 200 devices
created 0 fifos
HDR filesystem extracted...
Cleaning up temp files...

@ Climber.

Having carried out all the above, can you now enable BootHDR using only the remote control?

@ Climber.

Having carried out all the above, can you now enable BootHDR using only the remote control?

No - When the unit is in HD mode nothing will Copy or Move. It gives the message "The file has been added for copy (or move) and it does not move or copy.
When in HDR mode, there is no problem in copying and moving files. It displays what it's doing on the top right hand side of the TV screen.

I cannot see a need for trying to copy/move BootHDR when I'm already in HDR mode. I'm not sure if it can be implemented in HD mode.

Meantime I'm more than happy that I can do the bootHDRmode via telnet.
I've already managed to move/copy lots of recordings and apart from a few little quirks, I'm delighted and grateful.

Thanks for replying. What I was trying to establish was, now you have got it to work by telnetting, was it possible for you go from HDMode to HDRMode using the remote as described in the Wiki extract quoted in post #6.

Thanks for replying. What I was trying to establish was, now you have got it to work by telnetting, was it possible for you go from HDMode to HDRMode using the remote as described in the Wiki extract quoted in post #6.

No - It will not copy or move any file in HD mode.
I'm sure the experts on here may work on that.

Thanks. I would like to see it work without PC intervention so I am resisting changing anything on my box.
Apart from downloading the CF onto USB, everything else has been installed via Webif using my iPad.

I know I have been able to use the remote to copy and move files on the HD box - I believe you should be able to do that with the standard firmware. The custom firmware shouldn't affect it at all and was based on being able to use that ability. I have been able to boot into HDR mode using just the remote, but it's been a while.

Just a note to say that booting my HD into HDR mode using only the remote worked fine for me today. I was then able to use webif to make local copies of iplayer content (I'm not sure that would be possible in HD mode?!).

Awesome work - these mods keep getting better and better everytime I check back here!

You're right, it's not possible in HD mode because the iPlayer stream doesn't seem to be buffered anywhere. It works perfectly well in my experience, so why the HDR needs to buffer it is a mystery and very fortunate for us!

A few days ago, I gave up trying to get my box to boot into HDR mode via the remote.
Today I thought I would have another go at it and finally after a lot of hair pulling I have succeeded.

I'm a little perplexed about the Wiki guide "Decrypt recordings on the HD-FOX T2" though.

When I finally managed to install the HDR firmware, after a few initial hiccups, everything appeared to be working fine apart from not being able to boot into HDR mode via the remote and I settled on that at the time.

I followed the instructions:
"A directory called "*ModSettings" is created on the root of the usb drive, containing a "flag directory". To boot in HDR mode using the remote simply copy the directory "Trigger-HDRModeNextBoot" to the root of the drive, then reboot. This is also safer than running the script as the box will not fully reboot if it is recording something."

This directory was in existence as expected. On moving "Trigger-HDRModeNextBoot" to the root of the drive, the box would not re-boot in HDR mode.

Frustration in having to go upstairs (where my pc is) and Telnet(ing) the box into HDR mode was becoming frustrating, so I then tried numerous things including installing the scripts as per the "Manual installation".
So today I decided to delete the *Modsettings folder and try the manual setup route again.
The *Modsettings folder was recreated (that's if it actually deleted in the first place?) and still no success after moving the trigger ("Trigger-HDRModeNextBoot").

I also now realised that a Settings folder had been created and this corresponded with the text in the polling text.
I then spotted that the last line of the wiki made a different reference on how to boot into HDRmode. I've no idea why I missed this previously. I did see it, but assumed the mentioned Settings folder was probably referring to *Modsettings.

So the "eureeka" moment was achieved when I moved the "Boothdr" folder from "Settings" to the drive root and re-booted.
The manual method was obviously successful.

This makes me wonder about the *Modsettings folder. I never got the box to boot into HDRmode using the instructions for that.
Also it installs with the package when the Settings folder does not.

Maybe it's just me that has got confused somewhere along the way?

A new chapter will begin shortly, as I will be getting an HDR box this coming week.

Thanks for the great work done by all the contributors on here. I'm now a compulsive visitor to the forum.

Well I have tried all I can find on the forum and the wiki but I can't enter HDR mode, my Hummy just freezes the picture. I still have access to the web functions but the remote and the fascia buttons are unresponsive. a power reset is needed. My diag log is
humax# diag hdrmode
Running: hdrmode
----------------------------
Running: ls -l /mod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jan 5 11:58 /mod -> mnt/hd2/mod
Running: ls -l /mod/HDRfs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 5 11:58 bin
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 dev
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Jan 5 11:58 etc
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 home
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 lib
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 media
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 May 13 2011 mnt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jan 8 12:43 mod -> mnt/hd2/mod
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 opt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 proc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 root
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 5 11:58 sbin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 share
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 sys
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 10 2011 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Aug 31 19:13 usr
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 5 11:58 var
Running: df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 15.4M 15.4M 0 100% /
tmpfs 61.0M 32.0K 61.0M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 61.0M 0 61.0M 0% /media
/dev/mtdblock1 2.0M 432.0K 1.6M 21% /var/lib/humaxtv
/dev/mtdblock2 2.0M 1.2M 812.0K 60% /var/lib/humaxtv_backup
/dev/sda1 458.4G 341.3M 434.8G 0% /media/drive1
/dev/sda1 458.4G 341.3M 434.8G 0% /media/virtual
humax#

and no settings folder is created.
I must be doing something wrong can someone point me in the right direction before I reformat the hdd to death.:frantic:

I had this working via the manual installation procedure at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Decrypt_recordings_on_the_HD-FOX_T2 but it seems to have stopped working after I upgraded to firmware 1.15. This might be coincidence, I'm not sure.

Like Vermillion, when booting into HDRmode via telnet the picture freezes but Webif still responds and only a power reset makes the box usable again. I've tried removing my HDRmode installation and installed it via Webif but the result is the same. If I copy the trigger folder from *Modsettings to the root folder and reboot, the box just starts up again with the HD firmware, not the HDR firmware.

I tried a manual re-installation of bootHDRmode, this time using the new HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_1.15_upgrade firmware instead of the Humax HDR stock 1.02.20 firmware - same result. Can anyone give me some advice on troubleshooting this, please?

I have also tried installing this with cf 1.15 and failed to get it working, so you are not alone.

Well at least I'm not the only one. I have also been trying this on custom firmware 1.15 so maybe this is the key factor.
Can anyone confirm it working on their HD-Fox with official firmware 1.02.20 with custom firmware mod 1.15 upgrade installed ?

Well at least I'm not the only one. I have also been trying this on custom firmware 1.15 so maybe this is the key factor.
Can anyone confirm it working on their HD-Fox with official firmware 1.02.20 with custom firmware mod 1.15 upgrade installed ?

Yes I've got it working. I'll post again later tonight and try and offer some advice.
It's not the standard way though, but at least it works. :)

I can't think why firmware 1.15 would have changed anything relating to HDR Mode. I'll have a try on my HD later.

Sorry for the delay in giving details, but I went through the whole exercise as per the below details.
It may well work just starting from instruction 15, but I decided to start afresh.
I'm convinced not all of the commands are likely to be required. Alas I'm no expert on this and I can only give the instructions as per how I achieved it. I'm sure it could be simplified by those on the know. :)
I've never managed to boot into HDR mode by any other means and I've tried numerous version of the modified firmware.

1) Formatted a 500gb hard drive in Gparted (ext3)
2) Installed HD official firmware 1.02-20 via usb
3) Before restarting – removed usb stick and connected hard drive
4) Then> Menu – Settings – System – Data Storage – Select HDD for PVR – “Do you want to assign the currently selected HDD for recording purpose?” – Select YES – Message will confirm selection.
5) Switch off box - plug in usb stick to install custom firmware 1.02 20 mod_1.15
6) Remove USB stick once firmware installed and connect hard |drive before restarting
7) Box connected to network and via browser (192.168.2.8) – My set IP – check your own!
8) Download and install Webif – once installed restart box
9) Go back into Webif (I.P.) and Package Management and install Samba
10) Then go into Setting and tick the box next to “Show development and advanced packages?” and save.
11) Back to package management and install pkgtools and wget
12) Copy firmware “HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf” to mod – you could just leave this as it should download in any case. I preferred the first option! And copied it via a network connection – Humax – Media – Drive1 – Mod.
13) Telnet (Putty and in my case 192.168.2.8) and enter command "opkg install BootHDR". It will take a while to install.
14) Restart box – All files should now be in place including the *Modsettings folder. Try and boot into HDR mode – I’ve never succeeded this way! Even though the trigger returns to its normal place?
15) Go to http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Decrypt_recordings_on_the_HD-FOX_T2
16) Start from the “Manual installation” at “Now we just need to…………..”
17) Create and Save the script “bootHDRmode”. Note I use Notepad and save the files with quotation marks [example (“bootHDRmode”)] to the named folders.
18) You’ll get the message bootHDRmode already exists – just overwrite it. Telnet “chmod 755/mod/bin/bootHDRmode”
19) Telnet “dos2unix /mod/bin/bootHDRmode”
20) Create and save the other two scripts as per the first script.
21) Execute them both as per the guide.
22) I actually carried out the dos2unix command on the last two scripts as well.
23) Reboot the box and there should now be a “Settings” folder below the “mod” folder – Ignore the “*Modsettings” one.
24) Select “Settings” Then move the “bootHDR” folder to the drive root. In my case the Box reboots itself. On the first attempt into just HD mode. I then deleted *Modsettings (via the remote) and restarted. *Modsettings reappeared but on moving “bootHDR” to the root again the box reboots itself into HDR mode and continues to do so each time the bootHDR folder is moved to the root.

Edit was just to tidy a few things up.

Back