BT

:D

So a lot of people might not have the ring circuit connected and not even know it!

In view of the comments about sustained step-down in ADSL speed, when my voice circuit is restored (which I presume will also fix the broadband), before I plug in the modem again I will strip the house wiring back to a single master socket (which is old-school) and then route it downstream of a micro-filter. Come to think of it I could do that before service is restored.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what they did but service is restored.

Even with my simplified wiring (no extensions, 4m of six-core from the line box to the master socket) I'm still only getting 1.4Mbps! I guess this may go up when the exchange equipment realises the line has improved?

The 'engineer' should have reset your ADSL line to an acceptable pre 'settling in' level. When a friend of mine decided that it was a good idea to switch off his modem when not in use, his D/L speed dropped to abt 500kB/sec. He had another hard wiring fault on the master skt, and after the 'engineer' sorted that, he reset the line card and the speed immediately jumped to 6Mbs and settled down to abt 6.5Mbs after a couple of days. He also told my friend to leave the modem on, else the line card thinks that the line is faulty and reduces the speed accordingly to try to achieve a reliable connection.

Edited by common consent
For the pedants, I use the expression 'speed' here in units of Hz/sec as opposed to the more traditional units of m/sec, mph etc.

4m six core? What's the other end connected to? Battersea power station?

Last edited:
For the pedants, I use the expression 'speed' here in units of Hz/sec as opposed to the more traditional units of m/sec, mph etc.
Hz/s would be frequency not speed. We are talking about speed in units of data (bits bytes etc) per second.

Hz/s would be frequency not speed
Hz/s is a rate of increase of frequency, not frequency nor speed. Trev's first paragraph reads perfectly OK without the pedantry paragraph, so, to be pedantic, it's the pedantic paragraph that needs excising. Or, for the really pedantic, change "speed" to "data rate".

What's wrong with "six-core"?

Sounds like you need to get your ISP to get BT to reset your line. Good luck with that!

Out of interest, what are your attenuation and SNR figures?
How do I get them?

Same speeds this morning - download only half the speed of upload, and much less than I was getting immediately the line was repaired even though I now only have the one socket.

How do I get them?
Usually from the router's web interface. Some do telnet as well. What's the router?
Same speeds this morning - download only half the speed of upload, and much less than I was getting immediately the line was repaired even though I now only have the one socket.
Obviously something is still broken. It may well still be the line, despite what the BT folks tell you.

My voice circuit is clear of crackles now.

The only branding I can find on the router is "O2 Wireless Box II", and I can't find any S/N ratio information, but this doesn't look good:

image.jpg
The speed measurements I took are confirmed, and for some reason the connection was reset in the early hours.

Achieving a faster up than down must have taken some special effort on BT's part. They must really have it in for you :eek:

That happens when you have a noisy/faulty line or switch off your modem when not in use. It happened to me when I had a faulty line and my mate we both were getting about 1.5 Mbs up and about 100kBs down. In both cases the geezer reset the exchange line card and the down immediately went up to 6.5Mbs and has stayed there ever since because he no longer switches his modem off when not in use and my line is no longer noisy. Hence my suggestion at post #73.

Back