BT

I have more urgent things n my plate than to go through all that hassle with Sky at the moment, but I suppose I will have to in the end.

Is fitting another modem as simple as plugging it in? This one seems to have connection credentials, the password for which is obscured.

Well you'll need to configure it with your ADSL credentials, but mostly yes it is that simple. How do you think most people would cope otherwise?
You should know these details. Or did your existing router come pre-configured or does it have some clever auto-config thing (TR-069)?

I suppose I might have the username and password somewhere - it's been a long time!

The modem has cleared its uptime count again, at 0212 hrs. My speed stats are now .45 down, .73 up.

Something really weird happened in the night. I woke up to find my phone ringing. I have a call blocker which only allows whitelist CLIs to ring through, everything else goes to messaging, but my whitelist is set to wild-card callers from various STD codes (including my local STD). When I came to, I thought there must be some emergency, but the call ended as I picked up.

It would have been an interesting conversation - the incoming CLI was my own number! This is confirmed by the call logging on my blocker. This was at 0222, so can't have caused the uptime reset.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what are your attenuation and SNR figures?
I'm ok with the 'out of interest' suggestion, but as there's nothing that BH can do about it, it seems to me to be a bit pointless to spend money on something to find out that the down stuff is pants. We already know that.
I'm certain that contacting $ky would be quicker than poncing about with a different router, especially if you don't know all your broadband username/password/settings etc.

But as BH seems to call himself at 0220, I'm not sure.

I'm ok with the 'out of interest' suggestion, but as there's nothing that BH can do about it, it seems to me to be a bit pointless to spend money on something to find out that the down stuff is pants. We already know that.
I'm certain that contacting $ky would be quicker than poncing about with a different router
The router I mentioned is both monitor-able and controllable as far as the connection is concerned. You may consider it 'poncing about' but I don't. I was offering the benefit of my experience, having been through this twice with two different lines. I had to learn all this stuff because both BT Openreach and the ISPs were sadly lacking. It is just another tool in the armoury, to be used as appropriate. I don't see why you should see fit to criticise from your position of apparent ignorance and the cost of the alternative is hardly going to break the bank.
I am surprised at BH's lack of knowledge in this area, given how much he seems to know about everything else, so it is an ideal opportunity to learn.

It worked, so I never needed to delve into it.

Any guesses about the phantom phone call? Spoofed CLI??

Yes, it was most probably a spoofed CLI. Clever ploy isn't it?

We have received one or two. The numbers that show cannot possibly be a genuine phone number. I remember one was 123456789. If they can do that they can certainly simply send forward the number that their auto dialler is actually calling.

IIRC I think they are talking about trying to stop spoofing numbers, although quite how it would stop off-shore calls is a mystery.

These companies will find some way around it anyway.

@prpr.
By poncing around, I meant buying a router (no matter how cheap), digging out broadband credentials etc, setting up the new router to get it to work, checking the line atten. etc, all to no avail because you can't do anything about it (unless you know how).

@BH
What worked so you did not have to delve into it?

I suppose I might have the username and password somewhere - it's been a long time!

Maybe you've already looked, as you said the password is obscured, but usually if you connect to your modem/router (e.g. via 192.168.1.1 or equivalent) then the username and password for your ISP connection will appear somewhere in the configuration pages.

It would have been an interesting conversation - the incoming CLI was my own number! This is confirmed by the call logging on my blocker.

It is possible for your own number to ring itself, at least it always used to be.
Back in the day before mobile phones, if you wanted to check your home phone was working OK, you could pick up the receiver, dial a code, replace receiver and the phone would then ring, and if you picked up you would be talking to yourself or if someone else picked up an extension then you could talk to them. (We used to use that method as a kind of 'intercom' between various places in the house :)
Annoyingly I can't remember what the code was, I think it was something that BT engineers used for line checking.

Last edited:
On Virgin Media, 175 will cause 'ring back'. The CLI will be a corporate number but your home number would be spoken to you via an automated announcement.

Get off you high horse for once. We were just passing a comment. Even you aren't that dumb to call yourself at that time.

Jeez.

I seem to recall the cold was keypad letters FRB (372). Easily remembered a Fone Ring Back ( before anyone says it I know there is "no F in phone"!!.

For my own record (gathering evidence):

The router up-time count reset at

Friday 2014/11/07 (early hours - exact time not noted)
Saturday 2014/11/08 0212
Sunday 2014/11/09 0205
Tuesday 2014/11/11 0328
Wednesday 2014/11/12 0226
Thursday 2014/11/13 0213
Friday 2014/11/14 0223
Saturday?
Sunday 2014/11/16 0212

Still running at 0.3Mbps (down) / 0.6 (up) - I doubt it will improve until the resets stop (they haven't - list updated).

Update 2014/11/12: speed now up to 1.8/0.8.
Update 2014/11/13: speed now 2.6/0.8 - that's as fast as it has ever been.

Last edited:
Back