BT

Have you contacted your ISP to get BT to reset the line card yet? I'm not going to bang on about this again, as you have either done it and not mentioned it, or you can't be arsed to do it.

I have been up to my eyes the last few days and don't want to commit the AGES it takes on the phone jumping through all the bloody hoops. I might give it time tomorrow - but if the line has remained up in the mean time I will give it a chance to see if the speed comes up of its own accord. Clearly there's no point me complaining about the speed if the problem is these drop-outs - I do like to go into these negotiations from a position of certainty.

There's no need to bang on about it, the suggestion has been noted and will be implemented when and if appropriate according to circumstances. Consider everything that appears to be to the contrary as a log of events. It is not "urgent-urgent" for me - even 0.3 is adequate for my typical Internet usage (until I want something off iPlayer), and now I need to attend elsewhere...

Last edited:
Changing the subject somewhat, I have been plagued for years by a loss of internet connectivity, for no apparent reason, at least once a day. I have been using a HomeHub and set its IP renewal to maximum with no effect. As I have a second router connected via Homeplug to the Homehub, but getting its DHCP from the latter, I decided to let the second router do the DHCP instead, switching it off on the Homehub, but leaving that as the default gateway. Result? No drop-outs for several weeks!

As, in that time, I have been through several Homehubs, the latest being HH5, it would seem to be a long standing problem with BT.

Isn't everything about BT long-standing and wrong?
I get generally excellent performance from their infinity package. I shopped around for other suppliers but the saving was marginal, and cancelled by BT when I phoned them to discuss my next year's contract.

I hate the land line thing, though. Why do I need to pay for a fixed phone when all I want in internet access? It's just another hidden cost of internet access.

I hate the land line thing, though. Why do I need to pay for a fixed phone when all I want in internet access? It's just another hidden cost of internet access.

I think that is simply the cost for the physical line, which you need whatever you use it for. We are with TalkTalk and have to pay it and other packages do the same, so I suspect it's largely what TT, Sky, etc, have to pay BT/Openreach for the use of the line from the exchange to the home.
Since even voice is basically data these days the cost of providing voice is minimal, so the internet access (ie. a big lump of data) is the next thing you get charged for.

Fine, scrap your physical line and rely on mobile phones and 3G/4G. See if they still work when the chips are down.

I'm with TT also and last year I paid up front for a year and beat the then imminent price increase. I paid £114.
With further increases this year, the renewal with discount is £172, a 50% jump for me. To be fair TT reduced the broadband to a £1.75 per month but it does appear that the landline charge is an easy target for the providers.

My landline with Orange is a basic £26.75 for line rental, anytime calls including to mobiles and overseas and unlimited broadband (6Mbs actual). But, I get a £15.70/month discount because I paid £132 up front for line rental (£11/month) and got a goodwill discount of £7.00 a month making the calls and broadband £4.05 + £11 line rental total. Not only that, they gave me two months free on renewal so they actually paid me £36.75 for using their system last month.
I generally spend a while on the phone to them every year to get the best deal I can and so far have been pretty successful. I have been with Orange since God was a lad though and they always seem up for a deal if you phone the 'I want to leave Orange' line.

I do the same. I didn't add that we also get 24/7 calls,unlimited b/band (16Mbs actual), call barring, simple last number barring, for those cold numbers that slip through.

Now at 2.6/0.8!
For my own record (gathering evidence):

The router up-time count reset at

Friday 2014/11/07 (early hours - exact time not noted)
Saturday 2014/11/08 0212
Sunday 2014/11/09 0205
Tuesday 2014/11/11 0328
Wednesday 2014/11/12 0226
Thursday 2014/11/13 0213

Still running at 0.3Mbps (down) / 0.6 (up) - I doubt it will improve until the resets stop (they haven't - list updated).

Update 2014/11/12: speed now up to 1.8/0.8.
Update 2014/11/13: speed now 2.6/0.8 - that's as fast as it has ever been.

I am curious about the uptime counter. It has been restarted every day in the early hours in the last week, only missing on one day. Could it be a normal thing?

It's not on mine when all is well. Whilst I had a connection problem due to a noisy line, the disconnects/reconnects were multiple times per day and at random times.
My current WAN uptime is 570h 43 min, nearly 24 days. My LAN has an up time of 1511h 53m about 63 days.
Current line info Down/Up is:
Link Rate 6496 Kbps 1139 Kbps
Line Attenuation 41.5 dB 24.8 dB
Noise Margin 4.0 dB 5.5 dB

My broadband has slowed to a crawl this morning, to the point where web sites won't load and I can't fetch email. I am currently using emergency backup (ie my 3G MiFi). Phone circuit seems to be OK.

Rounding up a few of the preceding posts, I never had a fiddle with the wiring because, once working, I had better things to be doing. 2½ Mbps seems to be the best I can expect too, as I have quite a long run to the exchange. There's no fibre in my road yet either (not that I would necessarily upgrade to fibre).

BH Have you thought of having not so "infinity". It gives moi 36gb/7.6gbs. Im really happy with it. Hate the hub though! Really annoying peace of kit!

Virgin have their cables to my street (as they remind me about twice a week). BT Infinity is still pending (not that I want to pay extra for it - it is very rare that I find 2.5 Mbps an inconvenience, so Infinity or Virgin would have to add no more than £12 to my line rental long term).

Back