Can the GUI be changed?

I must admit that I am not too fond of the FOX-T2's GUI, and I am wondering is there any other choice, is there a different 'skin' that can be used, or is there a way to improve on the EPG as it appears?.
I feel it looks dated and uninspiring.

Nothing much can be done with display on the TV other than changing the Transparency setting.

For the webif in theory it should be possible to change the colour theme used but I am not sure where in the code it is specified and how easy it would be to make it a user option.

For individual elements on any web page you can specify options in [URL='http://humax/edit/edit.jim#']/mod/webif/html/css/EXTRA.css[/URL], You would need to read up on Cascading Style Sheets to understand how to specify options and read the generated web pages to find the class names used on the page

While individual items have been tweaked I don't know of anyone who has tried larger scale changes

Thank you for your reply, I was hoping for a more modern look, ah well we make do with what is available.
Thanks again.

For the on-screen UI, there are some alternative screensavers in the CF package repo. I believe other graphical elements are built into the settop program itself.

Thanks for all your suggestions but I don't have the knowledge to enable me to explore complicated setups but will take a closer look at the screensavers.
Thanks again.

If you point your browser at http://<IP address of pvr>/images/ It will show links to elements of the gui (plus quite a few that are unused). These could be replaced but I think they are only loaded on first use (i.e cached) by the Humax app.

The screensaver package replaces some of the elements in the images directory to implement a different screensaver.

Last edited:
And still nobody knows whether he's talking about the Web Interface or the display on the TV screen...
Along with vague terms like dated, uninspiring & modern, whatever is actually meant by them.
And who cares anyway? It's actually usable, unlike many of the more 'modern' things that get criticised for their user hostility.
Sheesh.

And still nobody knows whether he's talking about the Web Interface or the display on the TV screen...
Along with vague terms like dated, uninspiring & modern, whatever is actually meant by them.
And who cares anyway? It's actually usable, unlike many of the more 'modern' things that get criticised for their user hostility.
Sheesh.
He is talking about the TV screen, you know the picture you see when you turn the receiver on and access the information from it on the TV screen, I hope it is clear now. So now for an explanation to terms used, well there many dictionaries available so take a look, therein you will find the meaning explained.
Finally, I wasn't being critical I was simply asking the question, if you don't know the answer, that's okay, I am not asking you.
So, I hope that is much more clear for you now.

He is talking about the TV screen
Right. At least that's established now, but put yourself in the place of the reader. You could have made it clear, especially as posting in the CF section of the forum, with the CF having a web GUI.
you know the picture you see when you turn the receiver on and access the information from it on the TV screen
Well yes, I think most people know what one of those is. I can't tell if you're really trying to be sarcastic and/or patronising.
So now for an explanation to terms used, well there many dictionaries available so take a look, therein you will find the meaning explained.
But not in context, and anyway it's all subjective.
if you don't know the answer, that's okay, I am not asking you.
I do know the answer. The answer is 'no'. Not surprising for a box which has a design going back probably 12 years.
The problem was the question.
And who were you asking? It's a non-specific target when it's the first post in a thread, so effectively you're asking anyone, and that set includes me, as a reader.

so enough said about this subject
That's not your decision to make.

I've gone to a lot of effort to avoid misunderstandings, as per Glossary and Newbies' Guide.

So far as modifications to the SUI go, from Quick Guide to Custom Firmware:

Frequently Asked Questions (or anything else that needs to be said)

I would like some Custom Firmware modifications that alter the way the HDR-FOX displays things on the TV

Not possible, no can do. The HDR-FOX (and HD-FOX) hardware (ie the electronics) is a "black box" - ie a mystery to us, hidden inside some very large scale integrated circuits with documentation Humax keep to themselves. We can guess the general architecture of what's inside, but not the detail. To compound the problem, the Humax software (which we can inspect) that operates the mystery hardware is also an undocumented "blob" of binary code and (essentially) also a mystery.​
The consequence is that we have no access to the video and audio streams sent out on the HDMI, SCART, and RCA socket, or the graphics overlays, and cannot affect them except in very limited indirect ways (one rare example being substituting our own set of digit graphics for the screensaver clock). So, do not ask for anything that needs to present output on-screen (eg a better photo album or MP3 player, or the ability to play a currently incompatible media file type).​
What has been achieved with Custom Firmware is to provide a way in to the HDR-FOX's open source operating system so that our own applications can be run alongside the Humax application. These applications have access to everything the operating system has access to - ie networking, file system, and process status. With a very few rare exceptions, everything the CF does is by manipulating the files and file system, with command and control via a web browser or command line interface over the network.​
If you feel you really would like some tweak to the hardware output, please feel free to analyse how the hardware actually works and let us know (in detail) which parts of the Humax code need changing (and to what).​

Thank you for pointing out the information in the Newbies' Guide, it must have escaped my attention.
With regards to saying any more on this subject, it is my choice for certain if I want to say any more or not!, others for sure are at liberty to talk and discuss the subject until the cows come home as the saying goes. I have not a thing more say on the subject.
Thank you again, your contribution is very much appreciated.

Back