Car tax

I have got myself a White Rose of Yorkshire sticker to put in my tax disc holder.
Bravo! God's own county! (Even though I am originally from Worcestershire.)

The tax disk proves very little. I would happily abolish car tax and make people display evidence that they are insured instead. As for democratic rights, I presume BH said that tongue in cheek, but we have very few of those. We have the right to elect a dictatorship in central government for the next five years, but no right to dismiss it if it lies, cheats or governs badly. We have a shorter term of dictatorship in local government, but its finance is largely decided by the central dictatorship. We don't even have a democratic right to dismiss a police commissioner!:disagree:

I personally welcome the changes to the tax disc. At long last we'll be able to pay monthly. Displaying a disc in the window meant nothing. At best it proved they had a coloured piece of paper in the window.
Additionally, I don't have to worry about where to display it on my bike. The advice was on the front forks, but common sense was off a rear seat peg. I had a holder with numerous tiny hex bolts so that no one could easily nick it.

I agree about the dictatorship, but I put that down to not enough people taking an interest in their democratic rights.

You have a strange idea of what living in a democracy means. We may well employ a police force as our agents of enforcement, but that does not mean we ourselves have given up our rights to observe adherence to our democratic laws
I'm sorry, I don't really disagree with your sentiments, but the arbitrary quoting of "rights" is annoying. They generally don't exist to anything like the extent that people think they do. Unlike the USA we have few declared rights and most people just assume that because they are 'allowed' to do something it is a right. It usually isn't. Eg, use of a public footpath is 'to pass and repass' (or something like) - you have no right to stop on it, have a picnic, or worse still ride your sodding bike up and down it thus churning it to a muddy swamp for pedestrians.
It may have been handy to check other people's tax discs but technology has moved the goal posts (being able to check the veracity of an ebay seller's 'buy' page is probably far more important to most of us just now, but there are no 'rights' to be invoked I fear :eek: )

Bravo! God's own county!
I've just been in Yorkshire for a couple of days. Found petrol on the A64 at £1.55/litre .... Only bought enough to get me somewhere cheap, like the M62 services :)

Okay, I'll settle for "privileges" if you want to be picky. I'm talking about the theory and philosophy of democracy rather than what we have in practice, but what we have (in practice) is largely a consequence of public ignorance and apathy.

Many crimes conducted behind closed doors would not be committed in public view, although that is less so if the public is ignorant and/or apathetic. There is a lot to be said for privacy when the dissemination of personal information results in abetting crime or miscarriage of justice, but there would be far less crime in the first place if everyone involved themselves in the reporting of crime - like it used to be, when there was far less privacy. Now the public just don't care or are afraid of getting involved, or are themselves involved in crime in some way or another, so we have the "democracy" that the public deserve.

Removing the tax disc creates more privacy, and another closed door to hide behind.

I quite agree. The basic tension between privacy and security is probably stronger and more publicised today than ever.
Like most people I think I should have total privacy and criminals should have none :doublethumbsup:

There was a guy on the radio a few days ago, on a programme about education, and they were discussing content filtering to protect children from the darker side of the Internet. His take was that mostly children don't go looking for it, and if come across usually causes embarrassment rather than anything else, and actually what you need is a process of open discussion and education rather than outright blocking. What was most interesting was his assertion that if all browser screens were able to be eavesdropped from any other screens in the immediate area (without option to disable), everybody would be a lot more careful what they did on the Internet.

What was most interesting was his assertion that if all browser screens were able to be eavesdropped from any other screens in the immediate area (without option to disable), everybody would be a lot more careful what they did on the Internet.
Given the number of people who get sacked for inappropriate 'viewing' at work I'm pretty sure "everybody" is a tad optimistic. :rolleyes:
But the principle is sound - didn't George Orwell touch on it a few years ago?

What's the problem, or is the smilie there because there isn't a problem? All you need to do is set Acrobat for 1:1 scale - it looks like the artwork is formatted for 6x4 photo paper, so having Acrobat set to scale to page will produce an enlargement on A4 (scale to page is useful for originals that are larger than A4, but pretty useless otherwise).

The disc itself should be 75mm diameter.

@4291: the "dl" manipulation of the Dropbox link needs to be in the actual link and not just the display version of it.

I have to do this ;=) because, as I have said several times before, I've got no bloody toolbar on my IE 64 bit machine.
Your @4291 comment was my problem. I just displayed it, then printed without actually d/l ing it to acrobat. Now done and just fine.

What's the problem, or is the smilie there because there isn't a problem? All you need to do is set Acrobat for 1:1 scale - it looks like the artwork is formatted for 6x4 photo paper, so having Acrobat set to scale to page will produce an enlargement on A4 (scale to page is useful for originals that are larger than A4, but pretty useless otherwise).

The disc itself should be 75mm diameter.

@4291: the "dl" manipulation of the Dropbox link needs to be in the actual link and not just the display version of it.
Quid pro quo. :cheers:

I have to do this ;=) because, as I have said several times before, I've got no bloody toolbar on my IE 64 bit machine.
Use the standard text smilies and they will auto-convert:

:-) :)

...but you don't need the nose:

:) :)
;) ;)
:( :(
:P :p

Others require a :..: construction:

:oops: :oops:
:duel: :duel:

I've been doing this for years, because before the Xenforo update there was never a toolbar in iOS! For a full list click help (at the bottom of the page).

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me that dropbox is the Cinderella service now!

Back