[CFW 2.15] Customised Firmware version 2.15

New version of network-shares-automount available that works with CFW 2.15 (and still works with previous versions!)

Can you provide more detail? Although the CFW does include a find command in /bin, the find command in the usual path is part of the busybox package and not the CFW. The busybox package was updated fairly recently which may account for the difference in behaviour.
Sorry, I was mistaken.

That is nothing to do with CFW 2.15. The web interface has never shown image files in the media browser.
Yes, it doesn't work back on 2.14 either. It seems an odd design choice. Is this deliberate or an oversight?

That's the way it evolved. The media browser has only ever presented a selected set of file types, and nobody so far has asked for it to list jpgs.

Code:
humax# grep \ include /mod/webif/cgi-bin/browse.jim
set include {.ts .avi .mpg .mpeg .wmv .mkv .mp3 .mp4 .mov .hmt}

Easy enough to extend the list. It started off just showing .ts files and the other types were added over time on request. Maybe it's time to reverse the way it works.

Remember, the first versions of the web interface could only handle native recordings. There wasn't any provision for doing anything with other files.

Maybe it's time to reverse the way it works.

:disagree:

An exclusion list would be huge. There could be mileage in making the list accessible to modification as a setting in the WebIF, or a config file editable in the diagnostics editor.

I admit I have tried to use the media browser as a general file browser when trying to look at the works, but realised what was happening when all the folders came up empty.

Code:
humax# grep \ include /mod/webif/cgi-bin/browse.jim
set include {.ts .avi .mpg .mpeg .wmv .mkv .mp3 .mp4 .mov .hmt}

Easy enough to extend the list.
I tried that before posting but it didn't work. Having tried it again it still didn't work. Then I realised it was case sensitive, which is a bit of a nuisance. Fixing that is beyond my current knowledge level.

It started off just showing .ts files and the other types were added over time on request. Maybe it's time to reverse the way it works.
Not sure about that, but I think the list should include anything the Humax itself supports, and .jpg is one of those.

It would be nice if the Webif could 'play' all these file types as well. At the moment, only .ts seems to work and the others just display info (useful as that can be sometimes).

I tried that before posting but it didn't work. Having tried it again it still didn't work. Then I realised it was case sensitive, which is a bit of a nuisance. Fixing that is beyond my current knowledge level.

Change line 87 to:

Code:
        set ext [string tolower [file extension $file]]

Help!!
I've previously used the Customised firmware with no problems.

Checking for updates this morning I was confronted with a screen suggesting that nothing was installed, but it was.

Decided that it would be sensible to return to no CF installed and to re-install from USB, this I did but when I access the device I keep getting this error message

Downloading (removed 'coz not enough posts)
Collected errors:
* make_directory: Cannot create directory `/mod/var/opkg/info': Read-only file system.
* opkg_download: Failed to download ........, wget returned 1.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.

Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again.

Humax portal works OK

Where do I go from here?

Bob Smith

Your Humax has developed a disk fault. I would imagine you can't record anything either.
You need to upgrade to the latest customised firmware version and then run the fix-disk process via telnet to check and repair your disk.

The release notes say: Add option for automatic repair of suspect/corrupt disk sectors. How is this option specified? I seem to remember from the last time I ran fix-disk that it asks if I want to add any options, but I can't find any documentation on what options are available.

The main improvement to fix-disk in 2.15 is to add an additional test to look for and repair pending sector errors. Previously this had to be done manually by running smartctl, debugfs, dd and calculating offsets from the start of the partition etc. The new test will only run if it finds existing pending sector errors in the SMART output and will then give the option of whether or not to fix the problem. There is a new option '-P' to disable this new test.

Other options (which were also present in the previous version) are to limit the tests to one or two partitions ('-1', '-2' & '-3') and to pass additional options to e2fsck ('-x' ...).

Other options (which were also present in the previous version) are to limit the tests to one or two partitions ('-1', '-2' & '-3') and to pass additional options to e2fsck ('-x' ...).

Generally intended to be used under direction : )

Thanks. I ran fix-disk post 2.15 release and noticed it was bypassing a sector test. Since the disk is still glitching I thought I might be able to force the test - something like chkdsk /R in Windows.

The disk has to flag up a fault before it can be fixed ;)

Try running the disk test from the Humax UI or from maintenance mode 'smartctl -t long /dev/sda'. This may take several hours so may be best run overnight. If at the end of the tests you see attributes 197 or 198 highlighted in red under the web interface hard disk diagnostic, then the additional fix-disk test/repair should run.

Warning! complete Linux ignoramus...
I think I need some help here! The Humax HDD test stalled - it said it would take a few minutes, but you're saying several hours - perhaps I was not sufficiently patient. I tried a reformat and, as has happened before, the Humax refused because the disk is too large (it's 1TB). I then tried the manual format steps in your 2TB disk preparation blog, i.e.
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda1
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super -T largefile /dev/sda2
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda3
The first command worked, the second failed because the partition was mounted. I could experiment with umount and fdisk, but I don't really know what I'm doing, so some help would be appreciated. I assume I have to delete the existing partitions before I can recreate them. At the moment I can still see the exiting recordings on the disk (all of which are backed up), but I cannot record or pause viewing, presumably due to my having borked sda1.

Given the present confused state of the disk, could you please talk me through all the steps needed to perform a full manual reformat? If I just use fdisk to delete the 3 existing partitions, will the Humax format the disk automatically after a reboot, or do I also need to create the partitions as above?

Back