[CFW 2.15] Customised Firmware version 2.15

opkg list-upgradable shows nothing at all, which is a bit concerning. If it has run I'd rather it said "Nothing is upgradable" or similar than looking as if it hasn't actually run.

Clearing the browser history fixed the web-if problem, I can now see the advanced packages list both for installed and available and NTP client is installed and doesn't need an upgrade. I then went back to the standard list of packages and again I had to clear the brower history before that actually worked and showed the shorter list. Something is definitely broken somewhere, is web-if correctly quoting all its pages as not cacheable?

I would check that your Internet Explorer Options settings (General Tab, Browsing History, Settings) are set to check for new versions of stored pages every time you visit the webpage. On the Foxsat firmware they used to issue that advice for IE users but they eventually solved it by making nothing served by the web server cacheable at all (not something I'm massively keen on doing). I haven't seen many comments posted about the T2 custom firmware a caching problems, but this is a setting you might want to check.

I would check that your Internet Explorer Options settings (General Tab, Browsing History, Settings) are set to check for new versions of stored pages every time you visit the webpage. On the Foxsat firmware they used to issue that advice for IE users but they eventually solved it by making nothing served by the web server cacheable at all (not something I'm massively keen on doing). I haven't seen many comments posted about the T2 custom firmware a caching problems, but this is a setting you might want to check.

It was set to Automatically, I've changed it to every time I visit the webpage. I've been invloved with this sort of thing before, and I would have thought it is the correct thing for webif to mark all pages as not cacheable. I don't see how else it can ever work, the pages change dynamically and very frequently.

You're right, it's something to look at although I don't want to go as far as they have on the Foxsat and made even the images and scripts non-cacheable.

We haven't had many reports of caching problems to date though.

I'll do something to help with on the next release.

Yes there's no need for images and scripts to be marked not cacheable, I assume they only change when the version of webif running is changed.

I had a look at this and dynamic pages like the package list displayed on the packages page are already non-cacheable. I don't know why IE gets this wrong.

Code:
air(10) telnet humax 80
Trying 172.29.0.252...
Connected to humax
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /pkg/pkg.jim HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html
Pragma: no-cache
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

OK fair enough. This explains why you've not had many complaints, most browsers probably respond to that correctly.

Maybe IE8 gets confused by the combination of cacheable (images, scripts) and non-cacheable stuff on the same page. Just a theory, and not one to make wholesale changes for.

Here's a link which may or may not help.

Reading that it looks like the MS recommendation is to have three fields to cause no caching:

<% Response.CacheControl = "no-cache" %>
<% Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "no-cache" %>
<% Response.Expires = -1 %>

as represented at the IIS server. Looks like webif is missing the CacheControl line (which the article claims is the newer form than the pragma) and webif has the wrong Expires value. I note particularly that this describes the Pragma as obsolete/legacy option and that Expires and CacheControl are the preferred forms.

Thanks xyz321, that's a useful link.

Generally I recommend to friend they use an alternative IE. I've spent a day and a half elapsed time, and 5 hours effort on a friends hijacked IE. Anything else not wedded to the Operating System would have been fixed by a deinstall. I keep IE pristine for the few work apps that mandate it.

IE is currently insecure.
I'm not allowed to post links
www_theregister_co_uk/2013/02/08/ms_feb_patch_tuesday_pre_alert/

If you want to be picky, everything is insecure. I try to take a balanced view ie. automatic updates, virus scanner, firewall on both laptop and DSL modem. But the paranoia doesn't stop me from using the Internet. If you want to be completely secure, don't ever use a computer again. I don't do online banking however, I really do not trust any security enough for that.

Generally I recommend to friend they use an alternative IE. I've spent a day and a half elapsed time, and 5 hours effort on a friends hijacked IE. Anything else not wedded to the Operating System would have been fixed by a deinstall.

IE is currently insecure.
I'm not allowed to post links
www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/08/ms_feb_patch_tuesday_pre_alert/
Agreed, IE must be the No. 1 vehicle for Viruses, Install Firefox, you won't regret it and if you do (unlike IE) you can uninstall it ! !

You see, I just don't have time to spend installing and uninstalling various things to see whether I like them, when I already have a browser that works (most of the time). And some people insisting Chrome is the best thing, and others pushing Firefox, it all starts to sound like Holy Wars. I recall having Holy Wars about text editors 20 years ago.

Here's a link which may or may not help.

Thanks - I am going to clean-up all of the header generation in the web interface code and then I can try adding a cache-control header - most likely:

Cache-Control: private,must-revalidate

for initial testing, or

Cache-Control: no-cache,no-store

I recall having Holy Wars about text editors 20 years ago.
Oh yes. Luckily they stopped when vi won... *duck*

Oh yes. Luckily they stopped when vi won... *duck*

I don't like vi, but I learned to use it for the following reasons: it is the most advanced editor that you can gaurantee will be present on any Unix installation you ever come across, and it can be driven over a 300 baud modem dialin. When I was supporting our X.400 email servers on remote Unix installations 20 years ago on customer sites running all sorts of random unix systems, this mattered.

Webif 0.12.0 adds the Cache-Control: no-cache header to all dynamically generated pages and also finally fixes incremental page loads.

Centralising the header logic has meant that I have had to edit almost every page (using vi, of course :D) so, although I've been through and tested, there might be some new minor bugs. I'll post a new webif thread to let people know.

The latest version of busybox seems to have a problem with ctrl-Z. The terminal locks up and there is no way to retrieve it without creating a new terminal and killing off processes (or a reboot).

Over telnet or SSH? I use it regularly over SSH and haven't noticed any problems, but I'll have a closer look.

I am using telnet in expert mode but it also happens with SSH. I have now established that the problem is with the 'less' command.

Back