[CFW 2.15] Customised Firmware version 2.15

Can you get it booted up into maintenance mode?
If so, then start the CLI and:

Code:
humax# umount /dev/sda1
humax# umount /dev/sda2
humax# umount /dev/sda3
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda1
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super -T largefile /dev/sda2
humax# mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -O sparse_super /dev/sda3

If any of the partitions fail to unmount you can force it with the -f flag.

Code:
humax# umount -f /dev/sda1

Changing the package list to Advanced mode to show all of the packages not just the filtered list doesn't work. I have Humax release .32 with 2.15 custom firmware. I was on .28 and 2.11 and I was able to turn the package list filtering on and off. I've just upgraded (prepare_for_upgrade, standard .32, then custom) and I can no longer see the full list. I want to check if NTP is still installed and whether it needs upgrading but I can't see what I need to see.

You can see what is installed using a Telnet command line (until the Web-If problem is sorted) with :-
Code:
humax# opkg list-installed
7zip - 9.20.1
anacron - 2.3-1
auto-unprotect - 1.0.8
betaftpd - 0.0.8pre17-3
binutils - 2.21-1
busybox - 1.20.2-1
bzip2 - 1.0.4
coreutils - 8.11
cron-daemon - 1.18.3-1
epg - 1.0.9-1

I don't have the telent installed in the custom firmware, or if I do I didn't ask for it and I'm not aware of it. And even if I did, a list like above would only tell me if NTP is still installed, not if it needs an upgrade.

The Show development and advanced packages? toggle is still working properly for me, so the problem must be at your end. I am running 1.02.32 with CF 2.15 and webif 0.11.0-6, and have just tried both options.

I don't have the telent installed in the custom firmware, or if I do I didn't ask for it and I'm not aware of it.

You do, it's an integral part of the basic custom firmware. You just need a Telnet client on the PC to gain access to the command line - see the Wiki and/or Black Hole's Trail Guide (see footnote to Stage 3B) for further info.

Perhaps you should try rebooting and also clearing your browser cache/history to get your package management working.

As far as updating packages is concerned, just install auto-update and it all takes care of itself.

I don't want to install auto-update. I like to get things set up such that they work, and then leave them alone to run reliably for ages. I've been running .28 and custom firmware 2.11 for what seems like a year but may be a bit less. I'm doing an upgrade to all the latest to get .32 Humax software, but once any problems are resolved and I'm on stable software it will once again be left alone for months on end. I don't want to come home one day and find something odd has happened, scratch my head for hours, only to find a custom firmware package updated without my knowing about it and caused the problem.

I am not currently running 1.02.32 with CF 2.15, so I couldn't say if it was a known problem. BH is correct, I should have said 'your Web-If problem'. For Telnet access try PuTTY

I have rebooted my HDR Fox T2 several times, advanced packages still don't show.

How do I clear my browse cache/history in IE8? I can see "Delete Browsing History...", is that it?

If you do get Telnet working there are two commands that can list packages on your Humax that are not the latest, the first gets the current version for all files and the second compares the new list with the versions on your Humax and displays package not up to date
Code:
humax# opkg update
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /mod/var/opkg/base.

humax# opkg list-upgradable
webif - 0.11.0-4 - 0.11.0-6
epg - 1.0.9-1 - 1.0.10
hmt - 1.1.11 - 1.1.12
humax#
Well, It just goes to show I don't have auto-update installed either, I have 3 upgradable files ! !

opkg list-upgradable shows nothing at all, which is a bit concerning. If it has run I'd rather it said "Nothing is upgradable" or similar than looking as if it hasn't actually run.

Clearing the browser history fixed the web-if problem, I can now see the advanced packages list both for installed and available and NTP client is installed and doesn't need an upgrade. I then went back to the standard list of packages and again I had to clear the brower history before that actually worked and showed the shorter list. Something is definitely broken somewhere, is web-if correctly quoting all its pages as not cacheable?

It's IE8 that's broken. Use a decent browser like Firefox or Chrome, or even IE9 if you must.

I tried IE9 but its performance sucks on my Vista laptop so I went back to IE8. I don't want to install another browser, I don't like cluttering up my PC with tons of stuff which duplicates functionality I already have. However strange you may find this, that's how I am.

I use IE8 myself, on Win7, but I am aware of its limitations. With a Vista machine, it would be well worth giving Chrome a look (it's light, fast, and modern standards compliant).

I tried IE9 but its performance sucks on my Vista laptop so I went back to IE8. I don't want to install another browser, I don't like cluttering up my PC with tons of stuff which duplicates functionality I already have. However strange you may find this, that's how I am.

Not so much duplicating functionality as doing things better. Unless you are very short of disk space, I would strongly recommend installing Chrome and Firefox at least. Look at this page for some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

(Particularly the sections on Acid Tests and HTML5 compliance, etc.)

No idea why IE9 is slow on your PC. It is really fast on mine.

PS If you want to see what technical people have to suffer, take a look at the following in your favourite browser:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/texvsmml.html

IE cannot handle many of those!

I'm told that IE9 is slow on Vista because by the time IE9 was in test Win7 was out and Microsoft didn't test IE9 on Vista much.

I'm a user of Classic look desktop, which made its final outing in Vista so I don't really want to upgrade to Win7. Also upgrading Microsoft operating systems is not something I do for fun. Vista works for me so I can't see the benefit.

Back