[CFW 2.15] Customised Firmware version 2.15

Webif 0.12.0 adds the Cache-Control: no-cache header to all dynamically generated pages and also finally fixes incremental page loads.

Centralising the header logic has meant that I have had to edit almost every page (using vi, of course :D) so, although I've been through and tested, there might be some new minor bugs. I'll post a new webif thread to let people know.

Thanks for the fast response to my IE8 issue. I can't find the new webif thread, I assume it hasn't been created yet? Please post here when it has.

I am using telnet in expert mode but it also happens with SSH. I have now established that the problem is with the 'less' command.
Ah - I tend to use more as I'm not used to UNIX systems with less on them. I'm surprised that one isn't an alias of the other in busybox though. Suspend/resume works for more but the terminal (onlcr specifically) isn't properly configured while it's suspended.

I prefer 'less' because it is bidirectional.

Both the parent shell and 'less' seem to be broken. The parent ignores all input and only seems to die on SIGKILL. The child 'less' does not respond to SIGCONT.

Webif 0.12.0 adds the Cache-Control: no-cache header to all dynamically generated pages and also finally fixes incremental page loads.

Centralising the header logic has meant that I have had to edit almost every page (using vi, of course :D) so, although I've been through and tested, there might be some new minor bugs. I'll post a new webif thread to let people know.

This may be a minor bug? :- Currently (with IE8) the 'Multi-mode Recording Setup' page is displaying somewhat wonky and across the header it says "Content-Type: text/html; no-cache Expires: -1 Pragma: no-cache Cache-Control: no-cache".

Yes - the multimode package needs a minor update to work with the new centralised header logic. So does the ir package.
I've just published new versions of them so if you update now it should be ok.

Yes - the multimode package needs a minor update to work with the new centralised header logic. So does the ir package.
I've just published new versions of them so if you update now it should be ok.

Have updated and it is now OK. Thank you! (Plate of {virtual cakes} winging its way to you through the ether :)

This thread has been very helpful - its been a revelation to me to have the 'what is the box doing now' panel displaying continually current info ... I had got quite used to it being accurate only once a day :D.

Regarding fresh installation of the CF on HD-FOX, something I have been doing the last day or two (2.15 for 1.02.29):

The first hiccup was that the bunch of 8GB PNY UPDs I bought for CF hosts don't work for firmware loading (damn)! So I fell back on my trusty one.

Once I got the CF installed I intended to use Telnet and maintenance mode to convert the host UPD from FAT to Ext2. However, I did first test the line by trying to access the installer web page... and got no response. So then I had to check out the network connection by connection to the portal and had a short period of head scratching before I realised the new CF refuses to serve the installer page unless there is somewhere for the downloads to go. The last time I installed the CF on a HD-FOX it tried to install on whatever was plugged in, suitable or not.

The point I am making is that it seems rather unhelpful to just not serve the web page, and leave somebody who is possibly doing this for the first time to wonder what's wrong. Would it take too much flash space to put up an alternative page which says "cannot find Ext2/Ext3 host drive, installer disabled"?

The first hiccup was that the bunch of 8GB PNY UPDs I bought for CF hosts don't work for firmware loading (damn)! So I fell back on my trusty one.

Unlucky! I have tried lots of different sticks without problems..

Sticks.jpg

The point I am making is that it seems rather unhelpful to just not serve the web page, and leave somebody who is possibly doing this for the first time to wonder what's wrong. Would it take too much flash space to put up an alternative page which says "cannot find Ext2/Ext3 host drive, installer disabled"?

No, it wouldn't take up much space. I'll implement that suggestion in the next version, thanks.

8GiB PNY (quite small physically), Staples £10 BOGOF. Not bad for off-the-shelf, I thought. Bought 4.

I can't bear it any longer, the suspense is killing me. What do PNY and UPD stand for? Clearly it's a USB stick but I can't see how.

It's not a Pen Drive, there is nothing about it that makes it function as a pen under any circumstances. Does it write in ink on paper or a whiteboard? No? Then it's not a pen!

I don't see what's wrong with the term USB Stick, that's what everyone I know calls them.

I don't see what's wrong with the term USB Stick, that's what everyone I know calls them.
Me neither. I tend to call them USB sticks too or sometimes USB Flash Drives (just looked back at my picture post and I called them sticks there). For some reason, some of my customers call them key fobs!

Pen Drive, Flash Stick, Thumb Drive... there are many terms in use around the world, as discussed previously. Somebody (not me) suggested UPD to cover it, so that's what I use on this forum and it is in the Glossary for anybody who cares to look. What you want to call them is up to you, but communication requires some kind of agreement on understanding.

If you want to be picky, there's also nothing about it which constitutes a "drive", and the technology inside may or may not be based on Flash* storage. Neither is it made of wood. The only commonality is that they all connect by USB. Do you throw it for the dog? No? Then it's not a stick!

* by which I mean "Flash" as I understood it engineering in the '90s, although it has become attached to any floating-gate electrically alterable read-only memory technology now. Softies only know it as a media presentation method created by Shockwave.

Does the custom firmware stop the Humax going in to full standby?

I have noticed that over the last few weeks, coinciding roughly with installing CF, the Humax doesn't go into full standby, but stays half-awake. This is easier to determine with redring. Logically, I can understand that the scanning process might prevent the standby.

Following Ezra's advice on the main HDR forum, power cycling the switch on the back while half-awake, brings the Humax back up in standby with the internal and (powered) external drives still (and quiet). I have tried leaving the external drives unplugged, but it has made no difference. I have also run fixdisk, as Ezra also suggested that HDD problems could prevent the Humax going into standby.

It must be beneficial give the drives etc. bit of a rest.

There is probably an increased risk of the unit being left in standby with the Custom Firmware installed BUT it is still a rare occurrence and is definitely not the normal state of affairs. in the early days, redring was known to prevent the Humax going into standby when recording, but that problem has been fixed. I have found very occasionally that Humax is half awake when examined in the morning after correctly going into standby the night before, this is due to the 4:30am wakeup for OTA search, but I am not sure why the OTA search doesn't shut down properly

Strange. I was going to post something about this myself. Almost every day this week I have noticed that my Hummy is in the 'half awake' state when I check it in the morning.

I also have a wake up timer set everyday at 14:00 - 14:30. That seems to behave correctly and the Hummy goes fully to sleep after that, even when the 04:30 wakeup results in the half awake state.

I do have RedRing installed.

One theory is that the Humax wakes at 4:30am and shuts down at a pre-set time having not completed it's tasks, this is a pure guess. I will check redring logs and see if there is a correlation between on/off times and not going amber

Back