Changing Channel Numbers After Retune

Thanks all, for your help and advice earlier ... but I'm coming back to report that, although I must confess that I still tried to manually tune just in case, and even tried tuning in the digital tuner of the TV I usually use (only) to watch the HDR-FOX T2 through (to no successful end) ... @prpr was right when he said ...
it's pointless trying. Get a new aerial.
... I guess that's the way it goes :o_O: ... and I'm now coming to terms with the advice @Black Hole gives at the end of the post directly above this one.

Cheers Phil

... meanwhile, 'cause I've got till 22nd April till BBC1 disappears actually from channel 50, LCN 751, of course :thumbsup: ... returning to this tunefix approach to re-assigning BBC1 from LCN751 to LCN1 ...
You didn't find the tunefix thread then, and the post which details the configuration file: https://hummy.tv/forum/posts/97069
... found the first link, but like @cdmackay posted a few posts after the second on you linked to ... I didn't find the second ... I guess, I thought the Wiki would provide the "definitive" info, and the forum would be the discussion around that (and the feedback and development of it) ... turns out, that's not how things work round here :o_O:

what GUI?
The one found via the WebIf's Settings pages, like with most other packages you install
... interesting, as a concept, but looking at the packages I've got installed (other than tunefix, which I first installed last night), those that have a "presence" on the Settings page of the Webif are auto-update, if and newk i.e. the sorts of packages that you install and never need to interact with ... I think I can honestly say that, until today, I'd never had need to visit the Settings page of the Webif ... just saying :whistling:

Install tunefix, review its configuration on the Settings page and reboot. Make sure you've removed that old, edited configuration file first.
... OK, tried that ... just to get BBC1 and BBC2 more accessible, while I sort the aerial issues ... No change :dunno:... checked the tunefix.conf file updated via Settings > Settings for tunefix package which now contains (only) ...

FORCE|1|BBC ONE N West
FORCE|2|BBC TWO

... but still BBC1 is showing up at 751 and BBC2 at 752 :devilish:

Any ideas, how to get this to do what it says on the tin?
Cheers, Phil

Any ideas, how to get this to do what it says on the tin?
Can you look in /tmp/xinit.log and see if there are lines which say:
[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/tunefix]
Tunefix V1.8.8 (c) 2015-2020 prpr

and then post the output of whatever follows up until the next line which starts with [/var/lib...

Can you zip and PM (conversation) me the file /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db ?

and then post the output of whatever follows up until the next line which starts with [/var/lib...
... there are no "[/var/lib..." entries in that file, the entire contents of the file read ...

Micom Timestamp: 1582363690 - Sat Feb 22 09:28:10 2020
TZ: GMT
Boot: 2
SQLite3: 3.7.5

... going out for today, I'll look at doing that later/tomorrow ... thanks for all the help so far :thumbsup:

Cheers, Phil

Oh. This (again) begs the question: what firmware version are you on and why?
... well, until late last night I had HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.00 installed ... as to why, I guess because I got to a point back in late 2014-5 when everything was working just fine and life then proceeded to "change my priorities" as to what I would spend my time doing (leaving less time for "fiddling about with the PVR"), and in the intervening time I've managed to convince myself that the auto-update package automatically updates the firmware as well as the packages installed in the firmware :barefoot:

Anyway ... I took the hint in your last post and last night; uninstalled the tunefix package, deleted the tunefix.config file, updated to the latest HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13 firmware ... then I re-installed the tunefix package, used it (via the webif interface) to force BBC1 to LCN1, BBC2 to LCN2 (and since this was easy via the Webif interface, I also tried to move BBC News and BBC Four to LCNs 7&8 {later edit ...} 8&9 respectively) … I then rebooted the machine and it made no difference whatsoever … I did a retune, and rebooted the machine still no change ...

The tunefix settings now look like …
tunefix.jpg

… and the /mod/boot/tunefix.conf file looks like ...

REGION|North West
FORCE|3|ITV
FORCE|4|Channel 4
FORCE|33|ITV +1
FORCE|101|BBC ONE HD
FORCE|102|BBC TWO HD
FORCE|103|ITV HD
FORCE|1|BBC ONE N West
FORCE|2|BBC TWO
FORCE|9|BBC FOUR
FORCE|8|BBC NEWS
LCN|260-299

… interestingly the removal of LCNs 260-299 that was automatically added into the file when I reinstalled tunefix (it had removal of lots of LCNs which I removed all except these ones to see what would happen, the LCNs for removal included 750-799 which would have removed these channels that I'm trying to get to see more easily) … removal of LCNs 260-299 has been effective … but the LCN moves, not so :o_O:

… that now reads ...

[/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/xnewk]

… I'll do that next.

Thanks for you help … this is getting very frustrating … just trying to work out why installing tunefix would have set itself up to remove these channels (LCNs 750-799) … I'm beginning to wonder whether (as channels on a mux that is "ready to be deleted") that these are somehow different to all the other LCNs and so not available for being moved to LCN1. Is that possible?

Cheers, Phil

Last edited:
Hi @Ezra Pound
I wouldn't go that far, but it did need updating, now done :-
... thanks for updating, but from the conversation in the thread that @prpr linked to above (I'm still not allowed to post links yet), and above in this thread, I think it is now agreed that the "preferred" use of tunefix is via Webif >> Settings >> Settings for tunefix package … and that editing of the tunefix.config file should probably be "de-emphasised" as an "advanced users" option :whistling:

Cheers, Phil

I also tried to move BBC News and BBC Four to LCNs 7&8 respectively
I think you mean 8&9:
FORCE|9|BBC FOUR
FORCE|8|BBC NEWS

I then rebooted the machine and it made no difference whatsoever
Are you saying BBC2 remains resolutely on LCN752, and there is no BBC2 on LCN2? That's curious, AFAICS you've done everything correctly. I take it you have no conflicting packages such as renumber installed? The only thing I can think of is that tunefix is not picking up the string match, but as the GUI field is populated from the strings in the database I don't see how that could be.

It is essential to keep in mind the sequence in which tunefix applies the commands in the config file; regardless of the order they are in the file, the order of priority is:
REGION, FORCE, FORCESVC, LCN, NAME, MUX.
This info does not appear to be in the 101, but I don't think this has any bearing on your problem.

However: this is a short-term problem. IIRC the LCNs can be reallocated through the SUI channel editor, but in any case your immediate effort should be directed towards getting your aerial installation to pick up BBC1 on LCN1 without artificial aids!

just trying to work out why installing tunefix would have set itself up to remove these channels (LCNs 750-799)
They were considered dross at one time, and if a service is a place-holder for content provided via the Internet (which HDR-FOX is not compatible with) there is a tendency for the HDR-FOX to crash if the user selects it - therefore it is very much recommended Internet services are deleted from the tuning set.

BTW: we have [CODE]...[/CODE] tags for listings and dumps. See Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click).

Last edited:
I think you mean 8&9:
... of course, edited above, that's a problem from reporting the next morning what I did the night before :unsure:

Are you saying BBC2 remains resolutely on LCN752, and there is no BBC2 on LCN2? That's curious, AFAICS you've done everything correctly. I take it you have no conflicting packages such as renumber installed? The only thing I can think of is that tunefix is not picking up the string match, but as the GUI field is populated from the strings in the database I don't see how that could be.
... yes that's exactly what's happened, no channels appearing in LCNs 1,2,8 or 9 :dunno: ... no other channel renumbering packages are installed and the names are picked up by the GUI, as you say.

Your "BTW" point is duly noted :thumbsup:
Cheers, Phil

Thanks for you help … this is getting very frustrating … just trying to work out why installing tunefix would have set itself up to remove these channels (LCNs 750-799) … I'm beginning to wonder whether (as channels on a mux that is "ready to be deleted") that these are somehow different to all the other LCNs and so not available for being moved to LCN1. Is that possible?
Thanks for all the detail, and the tuning database. No it's nothing like that.
It's designed to remove 751-799. This is to cater for the situation where both old and new muxes can be received - you don't want your FORCE statements operating on say two versions of "BBC ONE N West" as there is no way of specifying which one you'll get.
However, I had failed to consider people who can't receive the new mux.
As we have found out, there is no way to force those 751-777 LCNs back to where you want them.
I can't think of a good way out of this at the moment, so I've implemented something where you have to tell it.
Add a line (manually) to the tunefix.conf file which says:
SIMMUX|1
Then update to tunefix 1.8.9 (just published) and reboot.
If you use the GUI editor after this, it will delete the SIMMUX line and you'll need to re-add it manually. If you don't, it will delete anything remaining between 751 and 777 the next time you reboot. You may or may not care about this. I will try and fix this, but it means getting my hands dirty with the Javascript and Jim code, and I didn't write that bit...

Hi @prpr

Wow, it looks like you're going "above and beyond" for me here ... Thank You! :);):)

I'm away from home again, atm, but will follow your instructions as above when I get back later ... bearing in mind the order of application rules @Black Hole mentions above, is there any particular point that the new SIMMUX instruction needs to go into the tunefix.config file?

Cheers, Phil

The order of lines in the file is irrelevant. It all gets sucked into an internal data structure and processed in the correct order from there (this is different to how it used to be, which became a nightmare as more facilities were added - the joys of evolving software).
SIMMUX is processed first, because several other things depend on it. All it does is change the exclusion processing range from 751-799 back to 778-799.

The order of lines in the file is irrelevant.
... OK, I'll put it at the bottom ... hopefully, that'll minimise the chances of me bu**ering anything else up :o_O: ... and once I've got these channels in accessible locations, I promise not to go editing the tunefix settings whether via GUI, text editor or anything! ;)

Cheers, Phil

I can't think of a good way out of this at the moment, so I've implemented something where you have to tell it.
How about if the only version of a channel is in the 750s allow it to be moved but if there are multiple definitions ignore the ones in the 750 range

Oh @prpr … you've only gone and DONE IT :doublethumbsup::doublethumbsup::cheers::dance:
... check out how my EPG is looking now ...
epg.jpg

Few will understand how wonderful it feels, for that to look so normal … Thank You! Thank You! THANK YOU!!

Now, while the thinking cap is still on, can I just check … once I've had a new aerial fitted, my plan would be … to uninstall the tunefix package, delete the /mod/boot/tunefix.conf file and then do a full retune … and then only once it's looking like the tuning processes have identified all the available channels correctly, will I then re-install tunefix (if I want/need to perform any further channel re-arranging/sorting) … does that sound like an OK plan?

Thank you, once again,
Cheers, PhilB

Back