Changing Channel Numbers After Retune

I have a couple of Humax HDR Fox T2 recorders with custom firmware, both are 1Tb hard drive models

Having tried my hand for a second time with 'sweeper' (updated version), I seem to be having more success, however

On occasion, there are series linked recordings that according to remote scheduler, get scheduled as a single episode (not of concern for this thread) rather than part of the series, so end up cluttering the root level, rather than being placed in the correct series linked folder

I thought I would up my game by putting together a rule to put these oddments in their correct series linked folder, I was intending to use the logical programme number to increase my chance of accuracy, but going back through previous recordings I notice that channel numbers have changed over time, for example, QUEST is now on channel number 12, yet was on CH37 at the start of 2019, QUEST+1 was on CH83 in April 2018, yet was CH76 in April 2019 which is where it still is now, other channels and +1 channels have equally had a shift about

How does sweeper cope with such chaotic channel changing as we seem to be in a regular 're-tune required' period, is this going to result in sweeper being able to accommodate channel re-tunes and renumbering, or do we end up sweeping programmes that match the old channel numbers being swept away as well

How does sweeper cope with such chaotic channel changing as we seem to be in a regular 're-tune required' period, is this going to result in sweeper being able to accommodate channel re-tunes and renumbering, or do we end up sweeping programmes that match the old channel numbers being swept away as well
I don't think it does, so it would be safer to use Logical Channel Name, though they are not immune from changes as broadcasters rebrand themselves

Look at tunefix and tunefix-update packages which can do away with the need to retune the Humax and, optionally, force channels onto specific numbers to avoid the hassles of renumbering.

Logical Channel Name
Just has a quick look while creating another simple in-series linked folder rule, I see a Logical Channel Number (first option visible in popup list) but scrolling down the list, there appears to be no Logical Channel Name option, am I missing something, or is Logical Channel Name option located somewhere else

Just has a quick look while creating another simple in-series linked folder rule, I see a Logical Channel Number (first option visible in popup list) but scrolling down the list, there appears to be no Logical Channel Name option, am I missing something, or is Logical Channel Name option located somewhere else
Strange, I had always assumed that Channel name was one of the available conditions, it certainly is when coding rules for Remote scheduling.
I wonder why it was omitted (@af123 ?), however from the wiki %channel is an available token so you could use it in a textmatch condition

Thanks MymsMan, but I've just one hand on the first rung of the coding lark

I've managed to sort my recordings in to some form of order, splitting series linked folders in to single series folders S1, S2 etc in the main series linked folder, so it's a start

I've also managed to sweep (oh a pun) stray files from the root in to their correct series linked folder, and added a condition that if the recording is still flagged as new, then leave it be. but once watched, it gets swept away and before any sweeping occurs all recordings need to be shrunk, and as shrinking can only occur after a decrypt, then all is save to sweep, if a decrypt is currently being performed, some files get moved leaving others behind, and the three or four programme set gets broken, oops

I may get to using variables after I've acquired some more experience

For now I've just used Logical Channel Number

I have tunefix and tunefix-update installed, but if a retune is a big enough event all goes pear shaped
I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. What constitutes a "big enough event"?
As far as I remember, there have been no events that tunefix-update has been unable to cope with. Perhaps you could be more specific (in an appropriately placed thread).

tunefix-update has been unable to cope with
Loads of new channels, deletion of deprecated channels, change of channels names and change of channel numbers, the one that as yet, has not been seen

So does tunefix-update totally remove the need to ever do another manual retune

That would be very hard to guarantee. However, tunefix-update has to start from a fully up-to-date tuning, and requires regular reboots in order to act. Therefore, machines like mine (which run 24/7 and only get rebooted after a crash) cannot benefit from tunefix-update.

You pays your money and makes your choice (in other words: decide which horse to bet on). You can decide to do it all yourself, or you can try tunefix-update in the expectation it will save at least some of the effort.

The workflow is: auto-retune (Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Automatic Search); use tunefix to patch the tuning to your preference (remove unwanted muxes, remove unwanted services, reallocate LCNs as desired); install tunefix-update. Do not patch the tuning using channel editing directly from the on-screen menus, because then tunefix-update will have no record of your preferences.

Loads of new channels, deletion of deprecated channels, change of channels names and change of channel numbers, the one that as yet, has not been seen

Understandably (firstly because the author has a Real Life and secondly because Freeview is hopeless at publicising changes to the channel line-up), tunefix-update sometimes lags the broadcasters by a day or two. The events that you list have all been handled at various times. Otherwise you can always use the "backup schedule, auto-retune, recover" procedure and adjust your resulting channels and favourites afterwards.

As with much of the CF ecosystem, the main risk to tunefix-update as a maintained package is an errant bus, actual or metaphorical, that does for the author. Your guarantee covers the cost of the package in full.

which run 24/7 and only get rebooted after a crash
I had issues a few years ago, my Humax HDR Fox was left on 24/7, and there were more than acceptable freezes and/or lock ups, so started by setting an auto shutdown early in the morning, this allowed any remaining recordings to be processed, having a daily shutdown seemed to remedy freezing/lock-ups

I found the tunefix and tunefix-update and I also have my recording schedules auto saved

It appears the Humax HDR Fox scenario is becoming more of a computer system, rather than a device for recording television programmes

So thank you Black Hole for the explanation

Put it this way, on my main box, which is up to date, I still don't have the "Com78 National" network that was introduced over two years ago and is a consequence of a retune.
Do not patch the tuning using channel editing directly from the on-screen menus, because then tunefix-update will have no record of your preferences.
tunefix not tunefix-update in this context.
tunefix-update sometimes lags the broadcasters by a day or two
Oh 🙁 . I thought I was a bit better than that. Usually it's the same day, certainly for anything with a major service effect.
prpr was to have an unfortunate encounter with a bus
I try to stay away from them.
which must take a fair amount of time at the moment
Not at the moment. All the 700 MHz clearance stuff is written. There hasn't been a big re-jig like "Freeview Retune day" for a while, nor any pointless multi-way channel rotates and nothing much in the way of additions or deletions.

seems complicated, like writing a user manual when you are not sure what all the knobs and buttons do and then they add a few more buttons part way through

It appears the Humax HDR Fox scenario is becoming more of a computer system, rather than a device for recording television programmes

It seems that way, but only for those that have the time and interest to invest. Mere mortals like me cherry pick the basics from the CF, as delving further would take up too much time, and for what is on the television (in my opinion) these days, it's not worth it.

Much as I admire the those who have the brains to do what they do, I've been perfectly happy with the product with minimal CF for almost 10 years, but it is getting increasingly difficult to follow the CF thread.

As BH wrote, 'You pays your money and makes your choice'

Mere mortals like me cherry pick the basics from the CF
I've invested a little more time than some and a lot less time than others, what I have invested is starting to save time, my attempt at sweeping is enough for now, saving a lot of time and is more accurate, one down fall, is it sweeps away recordings that have only been partially watched

I'd like to thank all those coders who have devoted so much time and effort in providing and up-keeping of, some truly awesome add-ons, also, all those that are willing to pass on the knowledge to others

Who would have thought it, a command line interface prompt on a television recorder

Back