Connecting wirelessly

In the case of WiFi network security, the "password" is an encryption key - it does not so much provide credentials to log you on, but actually secures the transmission. Consequently, any electronic eavesdroppers would find it easier to crack your encryption and read your traffic with a simple key than with a complex one.

Don't bother with a USB/wireless keyboard, we've never managed to get one to work.

Clemenzina

Re-reading your posts it appears your hdr/dongle cannot detect your Router's transmissions. So either your SSID is hidden or its power output is too low for your hdr to detect it.

However your Router's network settings page indicates that the SSID is not hidden and transmitted power is at maximum.

When you say "unaltered" do you mean that the current data it is as in the picture or that the picture is what is given in the manual as the default setting? I assume you blanked out the SSID Name and the WPA Pre-Shared Key (PSK).
As to the WPS function this can changed the SSID and extend the length of the Pre-Shared Key if activated - in some cases from an external button.

Given your success at wifi before with your hdr, and unless you have been unlucky, the new Router seems to be the focus for resolving this problem.

Can you move the hdr nearer the Router or the Router nearer the hdr to eliminate the transmitted power solution?

Martin

Should I be able to "quote" in this forum?

Thank you for your thoughts, Martin, I'm going to scroll up and down (am only on 11.6" lappy) and address what I can.

I really don't think my router's range is at fault (and I cannot move it nearer). (1) My neighbours in the next-door flat have no trouble using my wifi, and the router is less than 20 feet from the Humax through an always-open door; (2) the Technika Smartbox sits on top of the Humax (with airy clearance cobbled together from you-don't-want-to-know-what) and has no problem; and (3) the router and the Humax are both in the same places as when they did connect successfully, albeit it's a different router. If you think my reasoning is not valid, I will accept that.

The settings in the screenshot are the current settings from when I re-setup, renamed and repassworded the network under guidance from TalkTalk quite a few months ago. (The Smartbox has been reset-up more than once since.) I have not altered the settings since trying to connect the Humax this past week. Yes, I blanked out the name and password.

On one attempt the Humax told me immediately that I'd entered a wrong password - I had entered a digit once instead of twice. So it knows something :-/

This may not be right but I've been told that WPS only applies if the device I'm trying to connect supports it. Eg, my brother's Samsung TV supports it, and when WPS is selected on the TV it waits to receive a signal from the router, which is sent out when the WPS button is pressed. The signal will emit for 2 minutes. No other device here uses WPS and I have never used it myself to set up anything.

Are you able to analyse where that leaves me? Cos I can't ;)

BTW, the guy I ordered the Cat5 cable from has phoned me twice about the colour I ordered (out of stock... "can you accept grey?" "Yes", then they found one "will blue be OK?", "Yes"), this is what the eBay ratings system is doing to sellers! :disagree:

There have been some changes recently reguarding what 'New Users' can do e.g. posting links, this is due to a lot of unwanted spammers invading the site. I'm guessing it may-be part of that, things should change after your 10th. post

Forget WPS - it's for people who can't figure out settings in a control panel. The Humax doesn't support it.

Can't see Quote anywhere, Ezra, but I could Like or even Report you :mad: (but I could always do that I think).

Just popped in to say that I'm now cabled up, iPlayer etc are available (I understand that YouTube is down).

However, I can't try to connect up wifi because it's greyed out in Settings now. I think the next thing for me to do is try to install the custom firmware again, yes? I'll have a go while I'm not recording anything.

You can quote the whole message by clicking on "Reply", this is next to "Like". There is also a quote button at the right hand side of the tools on the reply box toolbar which looks like "66". Can you see this?

clemenzina said:
This was created using copy/paste and enclosing with the BB code for quote. (Help section at head of page)

You can quote the whole message by clicking on "Reply", this is next to "Like". There is also a quote button at the right hand side of the tools on the reply box toolbar which looks like "66". Can you see this?

Yes, thanks for the pointer, Brian :)

Thanks for the more labour-intensive method, 4291, I like knowing all the ins and outs - sometimes ;)

BlackHole, I can't find anything in those instructions that is not in the Wiki step-by-step. Tried again in the front USB as before, downloading 100%, programming 100%, "Success downloading!", "Press Standby button to restart..." (box displays END). Remove USB stick, press button on front of box, Hummy boots up announcing Ver a7.31.

I copied the firmware file onto an old ex-mp3 player USB stick, newly formatted Fat32, and tried it in the front USB, Hummy stuck on the usual bootup screen and I had to turn it off by the switch on the back. After it had recovered, I tried the original USB (Kingston DataTraveler) in the rear socket, perfect installation process once again but no sign of custom firmware on bootup.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there can be any point in trying different USB sticks if the Humax is reporting successful installation - if the USB stick was incompatible, then the firmware wouldn't register, like with the ex-mp3 drive, let alone report that installation was successful :disagree:

System Information
Software Version = FHTCP 1.02.29
Loader Version = a7.31
System ID = 80BC.7E00
Update Date = 05 July 2012
MICOM Version = 9.3

I presume you don't need the Mac Address.

Whilst I was watching a movie and 2 birds' nests at the same time, the "Do you want to scan for updates?" message popped up and I was reminded of one reason why I so much want the custom firmware ;)

clemenzina said:
Thanks for the more labour-intensive method, 4291, I like knowing all the ins and outs - sometimes ;)
I do most of my posting using an iPad. It does not have the formatting bells and whistles that you have on a PC or laptop. If I choose Reply I get all the message and then have to cut out the sections I don't want to include using the backspace key, so it is sometimes quicker to copy and paste etc.

Edit: Changed cut to copy. :oops:

I can't find anything in those instructions that is not in the Wiki step-by-step. Tried again in the front USB as before, downloading 100%, programming 100%, "Success downloading!", "Press Standby button to restart..." (box displays END). Remove USB stick, press button on front of box, Hummy boots up announcing Ver a7.31.

Yes, my guide is a re-statement of the information elsewhere for a rash of newbies lately who seem to need it spelt out in enormous detail, it does not contain anything new. I am perplexed by your case however.

a7.31 is not a custom firmware version, it is a loader for the standard firmware and is displayed on the TV splash screen during Humax boot. Check the HDR-FOX front panel display: during boot, you should see "Cust FW 2.12". If you do not see this I propose you have not in fact loaded the custom firmware but the Humax standard firmware. See the guide already referenced, Installation section 1 explains about identifying the correct download.

However, according to what you have said, even if the display is correct, you make no mention of the second stage of custom firmware installation. Installation section 3 (and remarks in the previous paragraph). This is predicated on a working network connection, as per the list of requirements at the top of the guide, and without a network connection you need to go for USB package installation and zero configuration.

a7.31 is not a custom firmware version, it is a loader for the standard firmware and as far as I remember is only ever displayed on the Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information panel, or during programming.
The loader version is shown towards the bottom left of the Humax "Splash" image shown during the boot-up process.

Aha! Thanks, now you mention it I remember (I so rarely watch the TV while booting). I will edit the previous post. Now I need to work out whether the guide needs rewording.

Clemenzina: check the Humax front panel display! Installation section 2 paragraph 2 covers it.

Ezra - Mac address OK allowing for colons interspersed :)

However, according to what you have said, even if the display is correct, you make no mention of the second stage of custom firmware installation. Installation section 3 (and remarks in the previous paragraph). This is predicated on a working network connection, as per the list of requirements at the top of the guide, and without a network connection you need to go for USB package installation and zero configuration.

BH!!! Do you mean to say that I should see no sign of custom firmware when the box is rebooted after END? :eek:

Cos I thought I should see something different from, or in addition to, a7.31 on reboot after the custom firmware has been installed, I have not continued to do anything else.

I am connected via Cat5 and have access to Humax Portal.

I'll wait for your answer before I do anything else.

Back