Connecting wirelessly

"Issues" which I would be grateful for guidance on.

Big panic when I couldn't load Hummy's IP address to install some packages - it turned out that it had changed yet again. Is there a way to make it "static"?

BH, I don't have Daily reminder from your bomb-proof list in my packages :confused: I've downloaded the full package list, still not there.

CLOCK - it doesn't show up in standby, can't see a setting to change that - is it possible to have the clock on show all the time?

Have just experienced that DISABLE OTA works like a charm - YAY!

Thanks again, all :)
Go back into Settings and Configure IP to Manual and Apply.

Reminder set from Guide >> Yellow >> New Reservation.

Disable Power Saving in Standby.

"Issues" which I would be grateful for guidance on.
That's what we do!

Big panic when I couldn't load Hummy's IP address to install some packages - it turned out that it had changed yet again. Is there a way to make it "static"?
Changing Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP from "DHCP" to "Manual" will fix the IP address, but can cause problems if you use other networked devices on DHCP. I prefer to fix the address at the router, but "Manual" is a quick and dirty solution.

BH, I don't have Daily reminder from your bomb-proof list in my packages :confused: I've downloaded the full package list, still not there.
You've not done your homework (reading my textbook stuff) have you! See HERE (click), section 4.

CLOCK - it doesn't show up in standby, can't see a setting to change that - is it possible to have the clock on show all the time?
Change the "power saving on standby" setting from "on" to "off" - see HERE (click) section 7.

You've not done your homework (reading my textbook stuff) have you! See HERE (click), section 4.

Oh I read that ages ago, remember it perfectly now! (Just wait till you're one-hundred-and-two :( ). As I can be watching a recording at any time of the day or night I don't think I'll risk the pitfalls you mention. I record very little from non-BBC channels and what little I do has lots of padding via the ads on each end - so I'll stick with Hummy's AR, which is Vestel standard, and that's high praise.

The clock is fixed. The rest will be done after a nap. THANK YOU, 4291 and BH :)

If you set a fixed IP address on the Hummy, it's important that it is not one used by any other device on your network. The simplest way to do this is to set whatever is shown as the current dynamic IP address to be the fixed address. For added peace of mind, do this while all other networked devices (PCs, printers, tablets etc.) are switched off.

This is still not completely bomb-proof as the situation could arise where some other device grabs the address allocated to the Hummy while the latter is switched off. If you can manage it, it is definitely better to reserve the Hummy's allocated address on the router.

"Big panic when I couldn't load Hummy's IP address to install some packages - it turned out that it had changed yet again. Is there a way to make it "static"?

Yes, go into the Humax Menu >> Setting >> System >> Internet Settings >> Configure LAN and note down ALL the info. on the screen, then change Configure IP = Manual and re-enter all the perameters you noted down exactly as they were before and select Apply. The IP address you have entered will now always be used

Oh the joys of multi-page topics!

Yes, when I sent my reply the last entry shown was #100 at the bottom of page 5, there was no page 6 at all, however as soon as I clicked on 'Post Reply' guess what turned up, page 6 ! ! ! containing #101 to #106 and of course my duplicate of a duplicate in the form of #107 :oops:

Is there a way to make it "static"
Yes - depends on your router. Some routers (not many?) have a way to reserve an IP. Mine doesn't, but if it has a DHCP list, then see if there is any option to reserve/preserve that allocation.

So, if your router doesn't have a feature like that, you need to pick an ip address and remember it yourself, and configure it in the Humax. You need to pick one outside the range the DHCP server is allocating. e.g. it might start allocating at 192.168.0.100 so everything between .2 and .99 would be OK to pick from. You need to find where that is configured. Otherwise you will pick a value that DHCP could then allocate that value to one of your other devices.
Once you have chosen an ip address - go to the Humax and change from automatic to manual - you need to keep the netmask, gateway and DNS settings that were given when it was done automatically, i.e. it is just the ip address you want to change.. I think it preserves them, but take a note just in case.

I hope that makes sense, otherwise I will try again when I have the HDR or manual in front of me.

I took so long writing my reply a whole new page of replies has appeared.
The key part is picking a ip address that won't be used by anything else. The only way to do that is to stay out of the range that DHCP on your router is using (but still within the netmask - so same first 3 numbers - 192.168.0.xxx)

It is much simpler than that - the router has a lease time, after which the allocated IP address for any particular device expires and has to be renegotiated. Just go into the router setup and mark the particular connection as "expires=never" (or words to that effect).

cloud9 - if you look at the time stamps on the intervening posts you will see they haven't just appeared while you've been typing. When a post you reply to happens to be at the end of a page, the conversation continues on the next page (although your browser cache may stop you seeing it).

It is much simpler than that - the router has a lease time, after which the allocated IP address for any particular device expires and has to be renegotiated. Just go into the router setup and mark the particular connection as "expires=never" (or words to that effect).
If the router has such a capability; mine does not although it does have a mechanism to associate a MAC address with a static IP address.

@BH, Same as MartinLiddle, my router does not have such a feature, but that was what I was trying to describe with the "reserving" option I outlined. So, if not you have to allocate outside the DHCP range and keep track yourself.

Hi fellas, just logged on to Hummy's IP (it hadn't changed this time) to go thru the available firmwares again, and loads of the installed ones are a complete mystery to me, I'm sure I didn't install them. Could you have a look and tell me if they could have been installed as part of something else, or might it have happened when I downloaded the full list? Is it OK to remove all these?

anacron
busybox
cron-daemon
file
hmt
id3v2
inotify-tools
jim
jim-cgi
jim-oo
jim-sqlite3
libevent
multienv
nicesplice
openssl-command
rsvsync
service-control
smartmontools
sqlite3
ssmtp
trm

EDIT - A couple of you will know that my memory is not the best - for the rest of you, my memory is not the best!

Don't!!!

Packages get loaded to support other packages and the WebIF. If you don't want to see the nitty gritty, turn off advanced package list in the WebIF settings.

If you click the info link next to the name of an installed package, it will tell you what else requires it, if anything:

For instance:
Code:
>>> opkg whatdepends trm
Root set:
  trm
What depends on root set
    webif 0.10.0-1    depends on trm

Your output may differ but this tells me that trm is required by webif

Thank you both! Yes, I shall turn off the advanced package list, please be assured I wouldn't do anything without asking you first :) Not that it'd be any skin off your nose if I did mess up - except I'd be here wailing and taking up more of your time ;)

Don't forget, although it might seem like a lot of programs running, that most of them are not constantly running, they only come to life when they are called upon for very brief moments, so they are not 'loading' your Humax

Back