Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Taking a leaf from the Trump play-book. Deny blatant reality and push your politically convenient alternate version of it.

Taking a leaf from the Trump play-book. Deny blatant reality and push your politically convenient alternate version of it.
It's this erroneous idea that every view is equal, no matter how factually incorrect it is. That is why the expert and the loonie are given equal time in broadcast discussions, so people think their views are of equal weight.

All political statements should be fact checked. Remember that red bus in the referendum? That was the loonie version, and it wasn't ridiculed enough.

All political statements should be fact checked.
It's a lovely idea, but since pretty much half of US voters still think Trump is some kind of messiah I doubt it would have a measurable effect on their behaviour.
Which makes me the fool ... I thought when he was elected "LOL, they'll be regretting that in a few years." How wrong could I be? ... Horribly :oops:

If I was 20 years younger and not totally c**p at languages I'd be looking at online Chinese courses. Trump has done more to promote China (and Russia probably) than any other world leader. The future is probably Asian (I'm including India in there, but many of them speak English).

Some context needed for future readers: Trump incited riots yesterday round the capitol and has lost the remaining support of his political chums, but not of his redneck voting base.

Sorry, redneck is not a good adjective, I have nothing against manual workers. Substitute thug.

It's a lovely idea, but since pretty much half of US voters still think Trump is some kind of messiah I doubt it would have a measurable effect on their behaviour.
Which makes me the fool ... I thought when he was elected "LOL, they'll be regretting that in a few years." How wrong could I be? ... Horribly :oops:
Religious statements should also be fact checked.
If I was 20 years younger and not totally c**p at languages I'd be looking at online Chinese courses. Trump has done more to promote China (and Russia probably) than any other world leader. The future is probably Asian (I'm including India in there, but many of them speak English).
If the future is chinese, that is still an authoritarian, closed, secretive society. I hope not. India I could live with, but they really must stop cold calling me first.

The one about having had a car accident recently freaked us out after our accident, until we realized that it was just a phishing exercise sent to anyone, on the off chance of getting a positive response.

There is a lot of suspicious activity on my BT Broadband account, too, though I am not a customer.

Sorry, redneck is not a good adjective
Speaking of colours on display I am seeing a lot of yellow bonnets on display these past few days? Are they they new fashion? If so I set that trend several years back as I wear a hi-viz yellow woolly hat while out taking a walk during these darker months. :)

seeing a lot of yellow bonnets on display
Dunno what that alludes to.

On a different tack, this, from Jan Moir's column today, seems perceptive:
On New Year's Eve, exhausted doctors at a central London hospital were left 'heartbroken' after being harassed by a huge crowd of maskless revellers chanting 'Covid is a hoax' at the entrance. I have a theory about conspiracy theorists such as them. Which is the truth frightens them so much the only way they can cope is by constructing an alternative reality, one that their tiny scraping of active brain cells can process and feel comfortable with.
...which, in summary, reads "snowflakes".

Back