Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Whatever anybody else decides to do, I'm staying in my cocoon.
Well that depends on whether you live in England or Wales. Boris's Alert only applies in England. The other three nations of the UK are Stay[ing] Home.

Further to your comment:
I am still not aware of any regulation restricting the number of times a day [I can exercise], and I recall it having been specifically announced that this was so.
I can find a reference to some "guidance" given by the UK government (link found in the myriad of emails from gov.uk on covid-19):
1. Staying at home
You should only leave or be away from your home for very limited purposes:
● one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with
members of your household
I can't determine whether this is just guidance or statutory guidance. If it's guidance it isn't law. If it's statutory guidance then it is arguable. But anything at the whim of a minister without scrutiny leads to confusion as we have seen.

If it's guidance it isn't law.
That's my point. The statute passed on 26th March is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf

Restrictions on movement
6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living
without reasonable excuse.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—
(b) to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

Nowhere in those regulations does it say they defer to other guidance, although they do say

8.—
(3) Where a relevant person considers that a person is outside the place where they are living in contravention of regulation 6(1), the relevant person may—
(a) direct that person to return to the place where they are living, or
(b) remove that person to the place where they are living.
Enforcement by penalty then only ensues by resisting, but hinges on the opinion of the "relevant person" in the first place... which is likely to be based on the guidance and not the letter of the regulation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against regulation, but I abhor the unlevel playing field created when people put their own interpretation on regulation, or try to impose rules which go beyond the limits of the regulations. If they wanted the "guidance" to have the proper effect, it should be passed into law not just left as guidance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against regulation, but I abhor the unlevel playing field created when people put their own interpretation on regulation, or try to impose rules which go beyond the limits of the regulations. If they wanted the "guidance" to have the proper effect, it should be passed into law not just left as guidance.
The problem is that is exactly what has happened. Even the police are confused: London police body criticises government's 'wishy-washy' coronavirus response. Oh no it isn't! Oh yes it is!
Now the advice on face masks coverings is also wishy-washy. You are advised to wear them on public transport and some shops. Which shops? (Goes against current WHO guidance). But it's not compulsory. What happens if a shop doesn't let you in? Why now when the death rate is coming down (if you believe the current stats)? Why not earlier when the death rate was rising. Re-arrange the following into a well-known expression: the deckchairs Titanic rearranging the on. Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. A pointless passtime - but makes it look as though you're doing something.

Click on the fuzzy bit and it resolves to text.
How strange.
I'm on the PC (Win10/Chrome) now and it's fuzzy / clears when clicked, but when I read that post earlier on my tablet (Android/Chrome) it behaved normally - no fuzziness.

Oh yes, of course. I've only ever tried out the normal spoiler. (Works fine on iPad/Safari)

The problem with the inline spoiler is that there is no spoiler alert!

Fuzzy too on Ubuntu/Firefox, but clears on clicking. Haven't come across this before, what is the idea?

Haven't come across this before, what is the idea?
The non-inline form puts what you don't want people to see by accident in a reveal box. "Spoiler" is when somebody spoils the suspense of telling you to plot of a story before you've read or listened to it, so it became the protocol to prefix anything like that with "spoiler alert" so people could stop reading if they wished.

What do you call a safari park comprising just one small dog?
A Shih Tzu

I have taken to using spoiler boxes for additional information not everybody wants to read, but I can't say I see a purpose for fuzzifying in-line text - how would somebody know not to defuzz it unless they click it to find out?

but I can't say I see a purpose for fuzzifying in-line text - how would somebody know not to defuzz it unless they click it to find out?

Yep, Trev, I understand the spoiler, but not having seen 'fuzzifying' before, hence the query. Can't see the point of it though.

Fuzzy on Mint/Chromium and Mint/Vivaldi, but doesn't clear on clicking. It just opens in its own full-screen pop-up - and the fuzzy bit's still fuzzy. Seems like a unpredictable bit of bling best avoided, for the sake of those who don't rely on W10/Chrome/Firefox.

Still here, BH. Just less active on the Hummy front, with other devices and sources doing most of my heavy lifting.

Back