Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

What's offensive in that name? Ah, no doubt someone could find something.
What name? OFCOM? abbreviation of Of Communism, only our buddy Mihaid would offer that reasoning :). Riverside House? The first result on a search of it gave me a chuckle "Riverside House exists to guide men and women convicted of crime into becoming productive citizens through a nondenominational, faith-based approach." wrong place but still plausible.

Well, as I was replying to the post immediately above mine as indicated by the lack of a referencing quote, it should have been pretty obvious it was Riverside House to which I referred.
Having said that, I did appreciate your 'teach in' about the two alternatives. :roflmao:

Daily Mail 13/06/20 said:
John Cleese has branded BBC bosses 'cowardly and gutless' over the removal of an episode of Fawlty Towers...
According to the TV today, it's back (with added "guidance" [disclaimers]).

The boarding up of statues is also being branded "a shameful surrender".

They're asking for comments on Any Answers - I have a mind to say it's downright lawlessness, regardless of what a statue represents.

According to news reports, anti-anti-racism protesters are attacking the police in central London. Apparently they are surrounding the boarded-up Cenotaph and Churchill statues, chanting 'En-ger-land' and throwing Nazi salutes. I suppose it is the flipside of Trumpian 'both-sidesism': there are utter dickheads on both sides.

According to news reports, anti-anti-racism protesters are attacking the police in central London. Apparently they are surrounding the boarded-up Cenotaph and Churchill statues, chanting 'En-ger-land' and throwing Nazi salutes. I suppose it is the flipside of Trumpian 'both-sidesism': there are utter dickheads on both sides.
Tommy Robinson put a call out earlier in the week for his football hooligan fans to turn out and defend those places, only a fool would not see through his agenda. Racism hiding behind patriotism but still fighting against law and order, mindless muppets led by a Hitler wannabe.

The way things are going, a certain song by the Kaiser Chiefs* could be apt - and more than once!
I Predict a Riot

Other than the sensationalist use of the word "plunge", I give in.
But I saw a graph yesterday with 19 and the text said 15.

What's the opposite of plunge? Soar?
So they'll probably be soaring tomorrow after the weekend reporting lag.

As the deaths are probably 60k+, and is always going to increase, perhaps it should be "daily deaths plunge/reduce/drop to 15". :unsure:
Given the weekend lag, I'd imagine the figure today will be c200.
Oh now what it Boris on about "one metre plus". WTF.

Other than the sensationalist use of the word "plunge", I give in.
The accompanying graph shows a dip in the figures every seven days - the "deaths" figure is actually "reports of deaths over several previous days received on this day", and deaths over the weekend don't get reported until Tuesday or so. A paragraph in the middle of the article admits that.

So the "plunge" is a weekly event caused by the medical paper-pushers taking the weekend off, not the result of actual fewer deaths. It would be far more informative to smooth the graph by a 7-day rolling average.

The accompanying graph shows a dip in the figures every seven days - the "deaths" figure is actually "reports of deaths over several previous days received on this day", and deaths over the weekend don't get reported until Tuesday or so. A paragraph in the middle of the article admits that.

So the "plunge" is a weekly event caused by the medical paper-pushers taking the weekend off, not the result of actual fewer deaths. It would be far more informative to smooth the graph by a 7-day rolling average.
Bottom graph/bar-chart at https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Probably, but there were only 15 reported on Monday (or whenever) DOH! But reports have historically always been low on a Monday. So what. If you want to find whether the deaths have gone up or down, compare this Monday with last Monday. If you do, you will find that the deaths have plunged.
It also shows that historically, there have been a lot more more deaths on a Tuesday. But again if you compare last Tues with the Tuesay before, the deaths have again pl=unged.

If you want to find whether the deaths have gone up or down, compare this Monday with last Monday. If you do, you will find that the deaths have plunged.
So you think the noise that makes it through on a Monday is a representative sample. I thought you were a radar engineer or something.

Back