Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

None of those figures have much meaning as globally the problem is growing, they now think any acquired immunity is only temporary and any lull could just be seasonal with it returning in force in the winter by which time Boris will more than likely have opened the flood gates again.

The Americas aren't dallying about with any lulls. It's all go over there :eek:
Indeed, Trumps desperate attempts for re-election will not let logic stand in his way, on the plus side though it may cull some of his virus denial mask refusing supporters and give the US gene pool a much needed improvement :)

It's like the BLM protests: I'm not at all bothered they all want to congregate in one place.

Incidentally, there's a big fuss that "all lives matter" is missing the point. Well boo hoo! "Black lives matter" is just as discriminatory as would be "white lives matter".

It's like the BLM protests: I'm not at all bothered they all want to congregate in one place.

Incidentally, there's a big fuss that "all lives matter" is missing the point. Well boo hoo! "Black lives matter" is just as discriminatory as would be "white lives matter".
I cannot help but wonder what Asians are thinking about all of this, they have faced the same discrimination but are rarely heard from. The problem with "All lives matter" is that its been adopted by racists as a socially acceptable front to hide the fact that they actually think the opposite.

So you think the noise that makes it through on a Monday is a representative sample. I thought you were a radar engineer or something.
Yes it is. FOR A MONDAY. Providing Mondays are compared with Mondays. Just look at the graph. In the scheme of things, since about April 10, the Monday trend almost exactly follows the 7 day rolling average (but lower in magnitude). So it seems to me that comparing Mondays is a valid exercise to estimate the trend. But 'Plunge' is still the wrong word.

So it seems to me that comparing Mondays is a valid exercise to estimate the trend.
Only based on apparent results. We have no way to assess whether the "attenuation" is consistent, and with only 15 photons/electrons the quantum noise is significant.

"Amateur statisticians" plot the dots and draw a line through them, scientists plot error bars.

But Mr average John (Anglicized Joe) wouldn't have a clue what they are. I have seen several graphs published on CV that had them.

I'm not sure what % of average TV viewers would know what that meant :rolleyes:
I'm not sure much of this forum doesn't go over the heads of some "readers" (using the term in its loosest sense) - I suspect they don't even know what a dictionary is, let alone have the gumption to open one.
During the lockdown, I have taken to doing the quick crossword in the Mail (I wouldn't normally have the time on a regular basis). It's not uncommon I get stumped on a couple of answers, and I then compare results with a friend who also does it (and only occasional has to ask me!). We regard looking anything up as cheating, although I am prepared to admit checking a spelling or two provided I know what the answer should be.

I go blind on some answers, because the setters take liberties with the meanings of some words in their clues. For example: "Poisonous compound" turned out to be Arsenic (I got that one, but we know arsenic is not a compound). My friend is more flexible. However, sometimes I don't even know what a clue means, eg: Pellucid (answer was Limpid). It has taken me by surprise, having what I regard as a vocabulary in the upper bracket, just how many more words there are that I don't know!

We've been doing books of newspaper crosswords for a few years now and the thing that often catches me out is the way English can use a word in several ways. So I'll read a clue as (eg) a verb of meaning A and it turns out to be a noun for B. :mad:

We've been doing books of newspaper crosswords for a few years now and the thing that often catches me out is the way English can use a word in several ways. So I'll read a clue as (eg) a verb of meaning A and it turns out to be a noun for B. :mad:
As typified by "flower" to mean a river rather than a plant. All grist to the setter's mill.

I take three passes at a crossword. First pass is by own brain-power alone. Then when I finally admit defeat I resort to a couple of web sites: One an anagram solver and another to list all words which fit letters I already have. Finally resort to The Answerbank when the next week's crossword is out to me start work on.

My girl friend found I was cheating when she saw the letters I was hiding.

After that she refuses to play scrabble with me ever again.

Back