Coronavirus Rant

The fact I was quoting REMAINS this: at least 62 TIMES (can you really fathom what that means) more people died then and they did not close the country down.
So not the 1,000s you originally told us.

I wonder, and of course there's not really any way to test this, but it seems to me just possible that if they had closed the country down back then, they might have 1/62nd as many deaths.

I'm sure you have a good answer to that ... I wait with baited (bated?) breath.

So not the 1,000s you originally told us.

I wonder, and of course there's not really any way to test this, but it seems to me just possible that if they had closed the country down back then, they might have 1/62nd as many deaths.

I'm sure you have a good answer to that ... I wait with baited (bated?) breath.

You are suggesting the wrong thing. Why would they close the country? Millennia told them to isolate the ill.

Here's a question of my own. Have you any idea of the numbers of dead because the NHS was taken away in one way or another? Currently, I am not even counting the tainted lives which will inevitably be snuffed out.

If you do know then compare it to the covid deaths. And tell us the result.

You are suggesting the wrong thing. Why would they close the country? Millennia told them to isolate the ill.
Who is ill?
Here's a question of my own. Have you any idea of the numbers of dead because the NHS was taken away in one way or another? Currently, I am not even counting the tainted lives which will inevitably be snuffed out.
About another 2/3 of the total dying from covid.
If you do know then compare it to the covid deaths. And tell us the result.
2/3

But how many more would have died from covid without the lockdown? About half a million? Lockdown wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is ill?
The people who are fighting for their breath, easy.
About another 2/3 of the total dying from covid.
Great. Now add the untreated cancer deaths. This is MAY aloneNHS figures show that 106,535 urgent cancer referrals were made by GPs in England in May 2020, down from 200,599 in May 2019 - a fall of 47%.

At the same time, 55,500 more people are now waiting to have key cancer tests in England's hospitals compared with the same point last year.

Then add the suicides

Then the battered wives

Then the further suicides when millions find their jobs have disappeared plus the ancillaries

Then to cap it all in the most wonderful way reduced NHS budgets following impoverished tax payers.

The waiting list for surgery has increased 100 TIMES. Do you understand what that means especially for the old codgers manning this forum?
But how many more would have died from covid without the lockdown? About half a million? Lockdown wins.
Do not insult our intelligence. In the WHOLE WORLD there have been 1.5 mil

Quoting corrected by Moderator.

The people who are fighting for their breath, ea?
Do not insult our intelligence. In the WHOLE WORLD there have been 1.5 mil
And it would have been far more if not for lockdowns. 62m more.

And it would have been far more if not for lockdowns. 62m more.
If you really think that Africa or South Asia or South East Asia or South America had "proper" lockdowns it proves that you have no idea what you're talking about.

And to read the utter devastation of our society which I tried to state in #349 and to dismiss it right out of hand further solidifies it.

The waiting list for surgery has increased 100 TIMES. Do you understand what that means especially for the old codgers manning this forum?
It means that if you just let Covid19 rip through the population the waiting lists would all but vanish. Because Covid19 would have killed most of the "old codgers" who make up much of those lists.

To wait or to die? To die while waiting? To have the surgery post-mortem because if I've waited this long I'm damned if I'll give up my place in the queue? These are the burning questions in my ancient brain.

Why are you bothering? "sine24" (or whoever he/she is) clearly cannot be reasoned with (which is reminiscent), and represents the section of the community causing the uplift in R and will cause a massive uplift in R over the Christmas period, maybe on the assumption that Covid-19 is a minor disease and those who die as a result or suffer long-term health issues are the minority who were living on borrowed time anyway. Getting "information" from social media (for "information" read "unsubstantiated Trumpesque opinion") rather than properly moderated traditional channels doesn't help. (300,000 deaths in Trump's America ought to give you a clue, and now he's claiming credit for the vaccine!)

"Oh look, restrictions have brought R down, so now we can go back to normal" - utter nonsense, completely self-defeating, and representative of the poor quality of science education and communication we are subjected to these days. Restrictions that bring R down have to be maintained to keep R down, until such time as the source of infection is controlled (which, thank God, is just around the corner). Restrictions are a political decision, a difficult balance between controlling R and keeping essential services going. Those who volunteered and were elected for political power have a tough job to do, and the rest of us have an absolute duty to go along with it (including Cummings).

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. What is not excusable is repeating an opinion over and over again (unsubstantiated or not), and that is behaviour which ultimately gets people (rightly) banned around here.

Now, for the last time, let's get back to "Amusing Items" (the title of this thread) such as Scrat and Minions. Please would a mod do the difficult task of separating coronavirus rant into a dungeon thread.

Or did Mum and Dad lock him in his room?

There is no doubt in my mind that once a species becomes able to resist the normal pressures on population density (availability of food, predation, disease), it is inevitable that species is on the road to self-destruction. Life might be common in the universe, but intelligent life could be very thinly spread if the survival of species once they become dominant is only a few hundred generations.
A view now endorsed by Brian Cox no less (Daily Mail 31/5/2022 p14):

1653983791249.jpeg

Back