Coronavirus Rant

It was friendly advice. You're obviously free to take it or not.

Another note: They address marginal issues hoping the elephant would just simply leave the room.
Why do you insist on being so obnoxious? I would certainly not employ you.

Leave aside the book co authored by you and/or Boris
It's a good book, I have read it. MikeSh wrote it though, Johnson had little input. Oven Ready Meals are not his forte.

Why do you insist on being so obnoxious? I would certainly not employ you.
Then just as well I am not asking you for a job.

Seriously, are facts now obnoxious? As far as I can see I was stating a series of factual observations.

Perhaps you can show us the answers ON THE SUBJECT being discussed and prove me obnoxious.

It's a good book, I have read it. MikeSh wrote it though, Johnson had little input. Oven Ready Meals are not his forte.
Excellent.

Now all you and your relatives want is to avoid hospitals or other medical locations for the foreseeable. I can guarantee it's not gonna be pretty.

Then just as well I am not asking you for a job.

Seriously, are facts now obnoxious? As far as I can see I was stating a series of factual observations.

Perhaps you can show us the answers ON THE SUBJECT being discussed and prove me obnoxious.
Well, for a starter, your implication that this disease only affects old or fat relatives. Why not include black and male in your insults? Or people with medical conditions?

The next insult was to link MikeSh with that creep Johnson.

The facts are that everyone is at risk, risk varies considerably, anyone could be a carrier, we don't have any way of knowing which people should be isolated and which are safe, yet, so the only way to control the spread is by asking people to isolate.

I actually agree with you about the irresponsible universities, in requiring students to return to campus. I am sure that decision was based on financial arguments and not academic.

I also see widespread failure to obey the rules amongst the general population. My personal feeling is that schools are perhaps a big spreader.

However, please distinguish between the real cause of your woes, the disease, and your perceived cause, an encroachment on your civil liberties. What we were trying to explain to you was that such encroachments have been made in the past. I accused you of nit picking because you seemed fixated on one particular case of such encroachment. And I am now saying that assuming the people being isolated are healthy is wrong, we just do not know.

Well, for a starter, your implication that this disease only affects old or fat relatives. Why not include black and male in your insults? Or people with medical conditions?

The facts are that everyone is at risk, risk varies considerably, anyone could be a carrier, we don't have any way of knowing which people should be isolated and which are safe, yet, so the only way to control the spread is by asking people to isolate.

I actually agree with you about the irresponsible universities, in requiring students to return to campus. I am sure that decision was based on financial arguments and not academic.

I also see widespread failure to obey the rules amongst the general population. My personal feeling is that schools are perhaps a big spreader.

However, please distinguish between the real cause of your woes, the disease, and your perceived cause, an encroachment on your civil liberties. What we were trying to explain to you was that such encroachments have been made in the past. I accused you of nit picking because you seemed fixated on one particular case of such encroachment. And I am now saying that assuming the people being isolated are healthy is wrong, we just do not know.
Great that we can have a discussion.

That implication has factual foundations. More that 90% if not even higher fall into that category. As I was not aboooot to have a technically detailed discussion I thought that sufficed.

We are both Mike's "insultors" or come to thing of it, neither of us are.

We DO KNOW who the ill are though. How about start with those as we have done for millennia.

As I've said before, and none of you contested, this disease is thousands of times less deadly than the spanish flu or any other serious pandemic - black death etc - in the past and NOT ONCE healthy people have been locked down.

What we were trying to explain to you was that such encroachments have been made in the past.
Not very well. You used an example which was nowhere near (1AU at least comes to mind) to what Boris has done to this country.

this disease is thousands of times less deadly than the spanish flu or any other serious pandemic - black death etc -
The death toll was 228,000 in Britain for Spanish Flu. So the UK death toll from Covid19 come the end of the pandemic will be ... 228 or less by your reckoning.
I'm pretty sure we've already passed that and are still going.

And that's not an insult to Boris then? He's trying his best to get us out of the dead hand of the EU that the majority of voters voted for, AND just a matter of interest the 'other' party leader has said his MPs will vote for any deal that he comes up with.
Boris, of course will claim it's an Australia type deal, which is a pretty bad euphemism for no deal.

The death toll was 228,000 in Britain for Spanish Flu. So the UK death toll from Covid19 come the end of the pandemic will be ... 228 or less by your reckoning.
I'm pretty sure we've already passed that and are still going.
Fine let's go with your numbers. You have it from here, right?

"During the pandemic of 1918/19, over 50 million people died worldwide and a quarter of the British population were affected. The death toll was 228,000 in Britain alone. Global mortality rate is not known, but is estimated to have been between 10% to 20% of those who were infected."

The mortality rate of covid is between 0.1 to 0.16 .

Let's use 0.16%

At the higher rate SP flu was 125 times worse at the lower 62 TIMES WORSE.

And they didn't close the country down.

Comparison of Spanish flu (not actually Spanish) and Covid-19 are not comparing like with like. There were no antibiotics then, so deaths from secondary infections were high. They would not be so high now. Plus, hospitals were overburdened with war wounded, unlike now.

Be more careful with your comparisons, sine24!

And that's not an insult to Boris then? He's trying his best to get us out of the dead hand of the EU that the majority of voters voted for, AND just a matter of interest the 'other' party leader has said his MPs will vote for any deal that he comes up with.
Boris, of course will claim it's an Australia type deal, which is a pretty bad euphemism for no deal.
More to do with two people called Jeremy and Dominic than anything else, oh, and lies told by Johnson, let's not ever forget those. All those oven ready deals. All those savings we would make by leaving. Painting Europeans as villains, not condemning Farage's brand of racism. Resurrecting a withdrawal agreement already rejected by May, claiming it as his, then now condemning it as unworkable.

What a ....er!

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparison of Spanish flu (not actually Spanish) and Covid-19 are not comparing like with like. There were no antibiotics then,
You are some doctor aren't you?

If you're gonna take antibiotics for viruses you're not gonna make comments here for long.

If you're gonna take antibiotics for viruses you're not gonna make comments here for long
If you don't read posts carefully you end up looking stupid.
Or were you deliberately misquoting him to try and seem clever?

@MikeSh sine24 looks stupid by quoting an irrelevant (to his argument) sentence and then truncating the relevant sentence at the comma to sound like a smart ass.
He's a bloody troll and needs ignoring, so put him on your "ignore" list and with any luck he will go away when no one rises to the bait.

I'm far more interested in how to balance the long-term imperative to reduce the human population against the desire not to have piles of corpses in the streets than the individual whinings of those who feel hard done by, but I regard that as an "interesting" rather than "amusing" subject, and debating with a close-minded conspiracy theorist doesn't come under either category.

There is no doubt in my mind that once a species becomes able to resist the normal pressures on population density (availability of food, predation, disease), it is inevitable that species is on the road to self-destruction. Life might be common in the universe, but intelligent life could be very thinly spread if the survival of species once they become dominant is only a few hundred generations.

Last edited:
Back