Customised Firmware 2.00

Hi, having problem with this firmware which no one else seems to :(, wondering if anyone can help.. (before I get slated although I am a noob I have done lots of reading and this is my last resort!)

Picked up a new HD T2 couple weeks ago (with 1.02.20 firmware) and am trying to load the custom firmware, I've followed the instructions about 10 times but it doesn't seem to be working right. I've downloaded the correct file (mod 2.00 HD version, Feb 23), carefully renamed it and copied to root of FAT32 USB stick.

When I boot the HD T2 the lcd appears to be doing some sort of updating, until it reads END, but throughout nothing appears on the screen. So regardless, I turn off, replacing it with my EXT3 formatted hard drive .

When the screen comes on it just goes to the channel it was previously on, giving me no indication that an update has happened. I've checked system info and it remains the same version as before.

Not sure if this is a clue but a directory structure named 'mod' is created on the USB stick afterwards that I have removed, although however there doesn't appear to be any files insided.

Confused! Any help would be much appreciated!

Chris

I would work through the instructions on the WiKi HERE , A few pointers the 'mod' file is supposed to be written to a USB Hard drive not the USB flash, When the custom firmware is correctly installed the version displayed in the Humax info. screen will not change e.g. it will still say 1.02.20

Confused! Any help would be much appreciated!

I take it that 1.02.20 was pre-installed so you have not done a firmware update before? If an update was going on there would definitely be a progress bar on the TV screen, but the "END" business on the front panel display does sound odd.

Are you sure you followed update instructions for the HD-FOX and not the HDR-FOX (the HD-FOX instructions are off the bottom of the screen on the wiki page - scroll down)? The HD-FOX updates by holding the standby button (front panel, left hand side) in (from power down) until the update starts, you need to make sure you downloaded the HD-FOX version of the custom firmware, and the file needs to be the appropriate name for the HD-FOX (if the file you downloaded is a .zip you do not need to rename it - you need to unzip it).

If you are sure you are doing all of that, try a different USB stick.

Once you have the custom firmware successfully installed, you need to refit your USB hard drive (Humax formatted) before you then access the limited web interface from your web browser and load the full custom software suite.

Thanks Black Hole / Ezra Pound for the quick response.
  • Yes I have installed using instructions from the WIKI link
  • The custom firmware hasn't installed as I can't access the web interface (in fact the tv portal seems to not load at all now unless I give it a static IP -strange)
  • Yes 1.02.20 was pre-installed, this is the first update
  • Definitely followed instructions for HD-FOX (inc. holding power button then plugging it back in)
  • Definitely installed the correct mod and renamed to HD_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf
  • No zip, just the .hdf on its own in the root of a FAT32 USB stick
After inserting the USB disk, when I hold power button and plug in the box to begin the update, the lcd goes a bit crazy - it starts with 'r000' and goes up to 'r100', then goes to 'p000' before going up to 'p100'. It does this loop a few times then writes 'END' - see pic. The whole way through, nothing appears on my screen.

Then as I said, on restarting the box, with my EXT3 formatted hard drive, it just goes back to the channel I was on, with no message or anything.

Is there a chance this could be something to do with the box itself? I got it Graded from HumaxDirect with 1 year warantee.

Attachments

• 20120309_080217.jpg
    20120309_080217.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 18
Well it sounds like its flashing, but I cant understand why the TV is not showing anything? Maybe another HDMI issue?

I would delete all the files from the USB drive and re-download the custom firmware just to make sure that thats the one that the box is picking up when flashing it.

Then as I said, on restarting the box, with my EXT3 formatted hard drive, it just goes back to the channel I was on, with no message or anything.

That doesn't sound too wrong - the Rxxx/Pxxx/END on the display is perfectly normal and indicates successful flashing, although you would normally see a progress bar on your TV if you have selected the Humax input. If you reboot with the USB flash stick still connected then it will get a /mod directory - it doesn't matter because the first time you reboot with the hard drive attached that will get one too.

If you aren't getting the initial web interface then the only other way to tell that the custom firmware has installed properly is to try and telnet to the box and see if you can get in that way.

That, at least, is what you would expect after a restart following reflash. I don't understand why you do not see anything on the TV while the update is supposedly underway, try connecting by SCART. Test your process using the official 1.02.20 update file, and if that won't take you have a legitimate reason to bounce it as faulty.

The reason I mentioned zip is because there is an intention to package the custom firmware updates as properly named files within a zip, so there is no renaming required.

The r000 to r100 means the flash update is being read. The p000 to p100 means the update is being programmed /written to the unit. The numbers in between 000 and 100 represents the percentage in that process (reading or programming). I expect the modified software is installed, if it wasn't you wouldn't get a mod directory written.
It sounds like the network connection is down. Check to see if you can get iPlayer running in the portal. If not check the wireless configuration. Once you have a network connection check its IP address in the Humax menus then browse to it with a PC or laptop connected to the same network.

You may be correct that it has installed, but like I said the TV portal is working (and I also have a wireless connection to my NAS), but when I try the web interface via FF / IE on a laptop on my network, it does not connect. I will try af123's suggestion to telnet to the box when I return home this evening as I haven't tried doing this yet (will need to read up first). I doubt its the device I'm using as I have also tried to install it using an external hard drive and that also failed.

Thanks for all your help though

You may be correct that it has installed, but like I said the TV portal is working (and I also have a wireless connection to my NAS), but when I try the web interface via FF / IE on a laptop on my network, it does not connect. I will try af123's suggestion to telnet to the box when I return home this evening as I haven't tried doing this yet (will need to read up first). I doubt its the device I'm using as I have also tried to install it using an external hard drive and that also failed.

Thanks for all your help though
Sorry I thought you were having problems with the wifi too, setting a static IP you said fixed it. I find the wifi connection works fine as long as you tell the router to lock the IP address given out to the Humax. I have had the wifi start using the cable IP address sometimes but that is often after I have used the cable connection to transfer off recordings. Not sure if Ping works with the Humax, if it does you could check that the IP address is correct, but telnet would definitely confirm the modified software is loaded.

So the custom firmware did install because I was able to telnet into the box and access the web interface after restarting my router.

Now this will probably sound like a stupid question but is there is any way of installing the custom firmware on the box itself (i.e. not onto the hard drive). Reason I ask is that with only one USB port, I cannot use the custom firmware and use my WIFI dongle at the same time!! Have tried a USB hub to provide additional ports but the hard drive doesn't work through it for some reason (even when on its own in the hub).

So loving the custom firmware and especially the sky player, however now wish I had paid a bit more for a HDR with 2 USB ports!

I have a Trust 4 port extender plugged into mine and my HDD works OK through that. Couldn't say if a dongle would work as I don't use one.

So the custom firmware did install because I was able to telnet into the box and access the web interface after restarting my router.

Now this will probably sound like a stupid question but is there is any way of installing the custom firmware on the box itself (i.e. not onto the hard drive). Reason I ask is that with only one USB port, I cannot use the custom firmware and use my WIFI dongle at the same time!! Have tried a USB hub to provide additional ports but the hard drive doesn't work through it for some reason (even when on its own in the hub).

So loving the custom firmware and especially the sky player, however now wish I had paid a bit more for a HDR with 2 USB ports!
You could use homeplugs instead of your WiFi dongle, then your USB port would be available.

I'm going to be the pedant now and point out that the custom firmware is installed on the box itself... but the storage capacity is very limited so it is kept to the minimum necessary to get you going, and then the custom software has to be loaded to auxillary storage.

If you are trying to run diskless (like me) you can use a UPD formatted to Ext2, there is a discussion elsewhere [insert link later], but that doesn't get you over the lack of USB ports. I know some people have used port expanders with success, WiFi included, and one should be more successful with a UPD instead of having to cope with the power drawn by a disk drive.

Personally I have an Ext2 UPD in the USB port and a cabled Ethernet; you could also use HomePlug or a WiFi Ethernet extender to provide the network connection at the Cat5 port instead of tying up the USB.

Back