Customised Firmware 2.00

Does either the hub or the hard drive have an external power supply?
No it doesn't its only powered by USB its 2.5" IDE I ripped from an old laptop and stuck in an enclosure - could this be the problem? Actually I just tested it on the laptop and the same thing happens (no power when connected to hub but fine in laptop port). Didn't think of this before. So I need either a new mains powered hard drive, or to go for the homeplugs.. was hoping there was a cheaper solution..

You don't need an externally powered drive if you get one specifically marketed as "portable".

I'll be surprised if you manage to get a drive + adapter to work at all - we usually get reports that the USB driver doesn't support them.

No it doesn't its only powered by USB its 2.5" IDE I ripped from an old laptop and stuck in an enclosure - could this be the problem? Actually I just tested it on the laptop and the same thing happens (no power when connected to hub but fine in laptop port). Didn't think of this before. So I need either a new mains powered hard drive, or to go for the homeplugs.. was hoping there was a cheaper solution..
There is a limitation in that a bus powered hub can only supply a maximum of 100mA down each of its downsteam ports. This is set by the USB specification so it is not specific to the Humax. To get around this you could use an externally powered hub.

There is a limitation in that a bus powered hub can only supply a maximum of 100mA down each of its downsteam ports. This is set by the USB specification so it is not specific to the Humax. To get around this you could use an externally powered hub.
That will explain it then.. cheers for shedding the light. My box is right next to my computer so I'm using the computer's wifi connection via ethernet bridge. Works perfectly, much quicker than wifi. Just have to keep my computer running whenever I want the iPlayer or custom portal - really impressed with the sky player as I have full package and can watch pretty much everything without paying £10 for multi-room!

Anyone know if theres likely to be a 4oD or itv player coming soon to the portal?

I've just had a problem where the main partition of the internal hard disk had become corrupt - it would not mount:(. There seems to be the following problems with maintenance mode when the partition can not be mounted.

The run-and-gun script never completes, it continually waits for the disk to be mounted.
The flag .modinit.done never gets created since the mod directories are never mounted.
As a result S89maintenance continues to wait for .modinit.done.

I did manage to start maintenace mode by killing the run-and-gun processes and creating .modinit.done. However, I could not create a swap file because mkswap and swapon are stored within the mod directories.

impressed with the sky player as I have full package and can watch pretty much everything without paying £10 for multi-room!

Are you doing something diffrent to just using the mod portals?

When I checked the sky portal out I could only see a very few of the sky channels.
And of course the on demand service doesnt work at all.
Incidently I found the sky F1 channel image quality so poor it was unwatchable.

SKy player does only have a limited selection of channels on it (hopefully when/if they ever finish it off they will put more on it) As for Sky SportsF1, - yes the image is not very good, but on my 32 inch Sony screens it is completly watchable. I sus-pect they are never going to let it run anywhere near HD quality - mainly because of the bandwidth involved, and the fact they want you to pay for multi-room!

As for the hard drive issue on the HD. I have a 2 1/2 inch drive out of my laptop in an enclose running fine witout any external power supply. - I'm using a wired connection without wifi mind you. I connected a 3 1/4 inch drive upto the same enclosure's addapted (clearly it would not fit in the box - but just had it sitting on its own with the SATA cable pluged into it from the adapter in the enclose) - it would not work - so I suspect it is indeed a power issue - which has always been an issue with USB since its birth - My Musteck scanner still only works with everything else unplugged from my computer - When I used it on an old K6-II board it started to melt the board!

I don't think this has anything to do with the CFW but I just noticed these two lines in /var/log/humaxtv.log...

Restore reminders from file failed
Persist reminders to file failed

...does this indicate a problem? I'm guessing it's okay - I don't have any reminders set at the moment so maybe this is just confirming that?

EDIT: just tried setting up a reminder and then rebooting but the two lines still appear in the log so it's not what I thought.

They're normal messages (the Humax software tries to create files on the read-only root filesystem and fails)

I understand Sky are now creating another portal they can sell access to.
Given the low technical quality of this one I doubt they have enough skilled staff to work on both.
I expect this will simple sit there as it is.

Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any quality control of any aspect of TV broadcasting in the UK at all.

There shouldn't be any bandwidth issues but there are you are right. Even playing a live film
pauses to refill the buffers here - and yet the BBC portal transmits a much higher quality image
and never so much as pauses.

If anyone is interested the 0701 error message seems to be an "authorisation failed" message
(I found it in a number of places in 2 js files and that seems to be the most likely trigger for it as far as I can tell)
Is anyone looking at whether we can get the on demand service going does anyone know?

Is anyone looking at whether we can get the on demand service going does anyone know?
Dont know, but I think you would need to be in the know as to what exactly Sky have changed.. You might end up chasing ghosts..

Am I being dim? Downloaded all of the previous firmwares, but this one keeps taking me to "4shared" which requires signup - not something I can do.

I must be missing the obvious place where it is hosted, or if this is now the only place, is there an approved (i.e.: clean) torrent?

You're right. I've not downloaded 2.0 yet myself, so I just went to do it and hit the same problem "You should sign up or log in to download this file".

Something's gone wrong lads!

Eeek, looks like 4shared have changed their T&Cs so you have to register to download - I just created an account on there and it let me download the file, it wouldn't let me download it anonymous.

EDIT: It does however let you create an account with an email address that doesn't exist!

You're right. I've not downloaded 2.0 yet myself, so I just went to do it and hit the same problem "You should sign up or log in to download this file".

Something's gone wrong lads!
Wondering if webif could have an option to download the latest firmware to a special location on the Hummy and then we FTP it to our PCs to copy it to a USB memory stick. The latest firmware could then be held on the same server as the package updates.

Wondering if webif could have an option to download the latest firmware to a special location on the Hummy and then we FTP it to our PCs to copy it to a USB memory stick. The latest firmware could then be held on the same server as the package updates.

I think that would possible to set up, However I do remember af123 saying that he wanted to use 4shared for some reason, so he may not wan't to place it on the same server as the other packages

Back