Customised Firmware 2.12 (for 1.0.20/29)

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Customised firmware 2.12 is now available via the links on the Wiki at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

There are versions for both Humax firmware 1.02.20 and 1.02.29 as I'm aware that some people have opted to stay on 1.02.20 for various reasons.

Other than the support for 1.02.29, the changes are mainly around improving support for disk management, analysis and repair from within the firmware itself.

2.12 (01/9/2012)
  • Downloads available for Humax firmware 1.02.20 and 1.02.29 (but not 1.02.27 nor 1.02.28);
  • Include additional filesystem and disk utilities (gfdisk, tune2fs, debugfs, badblocks);
  • Include swap management utilities (mkswap, swapon, swapoff - provided by xyz321);
  • Include native fix-disk utility (HDR only - written by xyz321);
  • Add resume argument to settop startup script.
The installation/upgrade process depends on the version you are currently running - please refer to http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Upgrade_Path for details.

Thanks for this af, all working again, but I did have to run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic, to get redring to work again, just in case anyone else has the same issue, I was running CF 2.11/1.02.28, so didn't run the prepare_for_upgrade before hand.

Now if only something could be done to the DTR-T1000.........!

I was running CF 2.11/1.02.28, so didn't run the prepare_for_upgrade before hand.
Did you install the official 1.02.29 before the custom? If so, that makes sense as it would have reset the writeable flash area, if not, er...

It makes sense to install the Humax firmware first, surely? Otherwise you would have to install CF2.12 twice.

It makes sense to install the Humax firmware first, surely? Otherwise you would have to install CF2.12 twice.

I think you may have missed af123's note e.g. "However, there is one supported short cut - if you're currently running CF 2.11/1.02.28, then you can safely just install CF 2.12/1.02.29 over the top of it."

Did you install the official 1.02.29 before the custom? If so, that makes sense as it would have reset the writeable flash area, if not, er...

Yes I did, but as your post said, no need to run prepare for upgrade if already running CF 2.11/1.02.28 there was no need to run the prepare for upgrade, then I presumed that all I need to do was to install the 1.02.29, then 2.12 CF and all would work OK.

I only mentioned it, in case anyone else interpreted your post the same way I did.

Upgrading from 1.02.28 (mod) straight to 1.02.29_mod didn't work on my end, the Humax didn't recognise the hdr_upgrade file.

Installing official 1.02.29 f/w then 1.02.29_mod after worked just fine.

I used the supported shortcut last night without issues. I also ran prepare_for_upgrade beforehand just to be safe.

Read the 'BOLD' text in #1 and then read your comment in #4.

That's what Scuttlebroom did and then said he ran into problems. Using the stated instructions one could presume the upgrade from 1.02.28+2.11 to 1.02.29+2.12 does not require the prepare_for_upgrade step, and obviously one will install 1.02.29 and then 2.12. Post 3 then queries which way round the updates were applied, and implies that doing it the right way round would be expected to lead to a problem.

I don't need bits pointed out in bold to read them carefully, but reading them carefully does not resolve the issue. Does the short-cut imply prepare_for_upgrade is not necessary, or does it imply that "2.12 for 1.02.29" can actually be applied to 1.02.28 without problems (resulting in 1.02.28+2.12)? We have reported counter-examples for both, so as far as I can see from what has been written to date there is no actual short-cut.

Clarification required. I suspect some readers are reading more in than is actually there.

I don't need bits pointed out in bold to read them carefully, ... as far as I can see from what has been written to date there is no actual short-cut.

It's unlike you to doubt af123 (and ChrisDaniels), he must have written it bold for a reason

AIUI If the box has 1.02.28 and CF 2.11 installed you do not need to run the prepare_for_upgrade diagnostic providing that the vanilla Humax version 1.02.29 firmware has not been installed.

The short cut is to download and install the 1.02.29_2.12 hdf file from the Wiki and install it. This will update both the official firmware to 1.02.29 and the CF to 2.12 without having to run the prepare_for_upgrade diagnostic.

Aha! That is what was not clear, that installing 2.12 for 1.02.29 over 1.02.28 also upgraded the base firmware to 1.02.29 as a byproduct. Thank you. However, digitalspace had a problem with that.

The short cut is to download and install the 1.02.29_2.12 hdf file from the Wiki and install it. This will update both the official firmware to 1.02.29 and the CF to 2.12 without having to run the prepare_for_upgrade diagnostic.

Spot on. There are other upgrade path shortcuts that should work too, but this is the only one I have tested.

Hey I'm glad that has been sorted out, so there is an actual shortcut (BOLD in #1) and it has been tested as working by both af123 and ChrisDaniels

Thanks for the new CW.

I was on Official 1.02.27 and CW 2.10

So I followed upgrade path page.

Prepage Upgrade Diagnostic
> 1.02.29 official
> CW 2.12/1.02.29
Fix Flash Diag to get xtral portal working

Went fine.

It might, but if I'm reading it right then the first info here: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads is now lies. Also I notice varkanoid appears to have loaded 1.02.29 as a separate entity (unnecessarily).

I still don't think post 1 makes it clear enough that 1.02.29 (or 1.02.20) is contained within the custom version, so that loading 1.12/1.02.29 gets you 1.02.29 plus the CF in one hit.
However, there is one supported short cut - if you're currently running CF 2.11/1.02.28, then you can safely just install CF 2.12/1.02.29 over the top of it without having to install the official 1.02.29 on the way.

I would change this to (no need to mention short cuts):
However, if you currently have CF 2.11/1.02.28 installed, then you can just install CF 2.12/1.02.29 over the top of it without having to install the official 1.02.29 first.

Is it the case that you could actually take a HD/HDR-FOX in any state, install CF 2.12/1.02.29 and end up with a fully updated and CFed box?

Back