Customised HDF file released

My question is why is the customised HDF smaller than the one from the humax website (15mb instead of 16mb) and should I have really upgraded the official way first?

The customised HDF only includes part of the software; the part that I've modified. You should install the official one first before the modified one to make sure everything matches.

Can you retrieve the /etc/mtab file over FTP while the USB device is plugged in and post it? Then change directory to /media and see if the USB disk is there (called drive1 or something similar) and cd into that and see if you can list the files there - could you post the output of that too?

/ect/mtab

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / squashfs ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /media tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/mtdblock1 /var/lib/humaxtv jffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/mtdblock2 /var/lib/humaxtv_backup jffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/hd1 ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda2 /mnt/hd2 ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda3 /mnt/hd3 ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/drive1 vfat rw,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed 0 0

FTP directory /media/drive1/
To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Up to higher level directory
01/01/2011 12:00AM Directory .
05/13/2011 04:41PM Directory ..
05/13/2011 06:17PM Directory Official HDF
05/13/2011 06:18PM Directory Custom HDF
05/12/2011 10:40PM 6,590 utelnetd_0.1.9_mipsel.opk.auto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The customised HDF only includes part of the software; the part that I've modified. You should install the official one first before the modified one to make sure everything matches.

I saved the official one over the custom then put the custom back over it. Still no USB installs.

I had the problem of the telnet not installing from the usb stick.
I had tried loading with the third version that af123 had produced from post 77 but that did not work, so i loaded the second version from post 59 and then tried again and it worked. I then re-applied the version from post 77 and eveything has been working fine.

The original version of unprotecting the HD files worked for me from the start, but I have had inconsistent audio levels from early recordings when replayed back using VLC and a Samsung TV. (Files transfered to a Disk station DS410.

Hope it helps.

I had the problem of the telnet not installing from the usb stick.
I had tried loading with the third version that af123 had produced from post 77 but that did not work, so i loaded the second version from post 59 and then tried again and it worked. I then re-applied the version from post 77 and eveything has been working fine.

Hope it helps.

Looks like I could do with a copy of an earlier version maybe...

I've just uploaded 1.04 - see the first post for details. There are versions with and without embedded telnet.

Even though you don't need to install from USB now, I'd be interested if you could try to install any package that way - then if it doesn't work could you send me the contents of /tmp/rag.log ?

The main changes from the previous version are:

• Fixes and tidy up to initialisation process;
  • Additional logging to files in /tmp (for troubleshooting);
  • Updates to support HD model;
  • Properly create /mod on external hard disk for HD model (hopefully);
  • If you create /mod/etc/hosts then that will be appended to the system /etc/hosts file after boot;
  • Remove additional tab in generated hosts file (spotted by Raydon!);
  • Remove custom tinyftp wrapper.

If you're happy with 1.03 then there's no compelling reason to upgrade.

On line 20 in the default smb.conf for samba has hosts allow for 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0, should that have been 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0? This would anly affect users using a 192.168 address that do not start with 1.
Also users may need to chage the workgroup name if they do not use the default. Not sure what effect the workgroup name has other than browsing, but as i could not connect that was then first parameter I changed before spotting the ip address issue.

Note careful what editor you use as the dafault only has Line feed whereas windows notepad etc use carriage return and line feed. I use scintilla editor (Freeware part of autoit, google for it)

All samba users should view the smb.conf located in /mnt/hd2/mod/etc so they are aware of the dafult parameters which might need changing depending on use.

Hope that is of some help!

When I copy a file to the virtual disk, when I stream it via mediatomb on a pc there seem to be two files identical. Am I doing something wrong?

To be able to mount samba shares, the T2 would have to be able to support cifs or smbfs. The busybox mount command seems to understand cifs but the kernel would need to be recompiled to enable it. I think it should be possible since Humax provide the kernel source and config files.
There is now a new package available 'cifs' which enables the Hummy to mount Samba (or Windows shares). To install:

Code:
opkg update && opkg install cifs

This enables you to mount shared directories:

Code:
mkdir /media/NAS
mkdir /media/My\ Video/NAS

mount -t cifs //server/share /media/NAS -o user=abc,password=def

mount -t cifs //server/share /media/My\ Video/NAS -o user=abc,password=def

The reason for mounting it twice is to allow a recording to be copied to the 'USB' device 'NAS' - which can be used instead of the virtual disk. You can then play it back from the NAS directory seen in the listing under "My Video".

Thanks to af123 for packaging it.

New package: transmission (2.22) [1.46 MiB] Lightweight BitTorrent client and daemon, with web interface bundled.

Install and point your web browser at the Humax on port 9091 - seems to work extremely well. It will chug away in the background whenever the Humax is on. Can be managed from the command line with the transmission-remote (or tmadmin) utility (not, as you would suspect, the transmission-cli one which is a CLI version of the system)

There is now a new package available 'cifs' which enables the Hummy to mount Samba (or Windows shares). To install:

Code:
opkg update && opkg install cifs

This enables you to mount shared directories:

Code:
mkdir /media/NAS
mkdir /media/My\ Video/NAS

mount -t cifs //server/share /media/NAS -o user=abc,password=def

mount -t cifs //server/share /media/My\ Video/NAS -o user=abc,password=def

The reason for mounting it twice is to allow a recording to be copied to the 'USB' device 'NAS' - which can be used instead of the virtual disk. You can then play it back from the NAS directory seen in the listing under "My Video".

Thanks to af123 for packaging it.

Thanks xyz and af!

Just had a chance to try out cifs/samba, can mount both my Windows share and my other Humax T2 which is great :), however both show up as having no capacity i.e. on the drive listing screen when Media is pressed on remote where the available capacity under the pie chart is shown for the samba shares and the virtual drive an empty circle/pie is show and is says "Free Storage (newline) Not Available":(. This is on the HD model, I am assuming on the HDR that the capacity of the drive is shown? Anyone with a HD had any luck copying to either a virtual drive or network share from the T2?

Firstly, thanks for all the great work on this - I've been disappointed at Humax not providing DNLA server functionality - but now we have so much more!

I installed the HDR-T2 Telnet package yesterday, but as soon as I ran:
Code:
opkg update

I got this bunch of errors:
Code:
make_directory: Cannot create directory `/mod/': File exists.
* make_directory: Cannot create directory `/mod': File exists.

Through some hit-and-hope trial and error, I ran this:
Code:
n -s /media/drive1/mod /mnt/hd2/mod

Followed by this:
Code:
/sbin/modinit

Which then seemed to sort out the issue with running opkg update. So far so good.

Quick question: the mod folder now lives on my external drive. Is this right, or should it ideally be on the internal drive? To keep any of the packages running, I need to have the external drive plugged it - correct?

I also got as far as managing to mount a folder from my QNAP NAS device (using cifs), which was happily appearing as a USB folder, and allowing me to copy to it from the T2 interface. However, after turning my T2 to standby last night, the drive is no longer mounted this morning and I can't seem to re-mount it. Trying:

Code:
humax# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.4/Qmultimedia /media/knas -o user=****,password=****
mount: mounting \\192.168.1.4\Qmultimedia on /media/knas failed: No such device

I've also noticed that MediaTomb needs manually restarting following the device entering standby mode. Is there a way to get this to run automatically?

Apologies if these are basic Linux questions - and feel free to point to a reference if it's just the basics I'm lacking.

I'm from a web dev background, so would like to look into how we could get youtube on the TV Portal (maybe change the page referred to by the TV portal button, to a customised version), but probably need to get some linux skills up to scratch first.

Many thanks and keep up the good work,

Mark

I installed the HDR-T2 Telnet package yesterday, but as soon as I ran:
Code:
opkg update

I got this bunch of errors:
Code:
make_directory: Cannot create directory `/mod/': File exists.

Through some hit-and-hope trial and error, I ran this:
Code:
n -s /media/drive1/mod /mnt/hd2/mod
It is probably best for af123 to comment on this but as I understand it is only necessary to make the link on the HD model not the HDR. If you have an HDR with an internal disk, you should not make a link to an external disk. I suggest removing this link then re-running modinit. Then reinstall utelnetd, restart, and reinstall the rest.
I also got as far as managing to mount a folder from my QNAP NAS device (using cifs), which was happily appearing as a USB folder, and allowing me to copy to it from the T2 interface. However, after turning my T2 to standby last night, the drive is no longer mounted this morning and I can't seem to re-mount it. Trying:

Code:
humax# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.4/Qmultimedia /media/knas -o user=****,password=****
mount: mounting \\192.168.1.4\Qmultimedia on /media/knas failed: No such device
This is because /media is on a temporary filesystem (i.e. it exists in RAM and is lost when the device goes into standby). If you just type mount it will show which filesystems are mounted. The directories immediately under /media are recreated by the startup scripts when the device is started up or by the USB hotplug system. This happens before the other filesystems are mounted on these directories.

In short you need to do:
Code:
mkdir /media/knas
before the cifs mount command. The best thing might be to create a new startup script

I've also noticed that MediaTomb needs manually restarting following the device entering standby mode. Is there a way to get this to run automatically?

I'm from a web dev background, so would like to look into how we could get youtube on the TV Portal (maybe change the page referred to by the TV portal button, to a customised version), but probably need to get some linux skills up to scratch first.

There's some interesting stuff in /usr/browser and if you do
Code:
touch /var/lib/humaxtv/debugtv
then restart, the file /tmp/humaxtv.log will be created. This seems to show where the config files are located

Sorry for being away for a few days.

A few points for those having problems with the HD version.

1) You obviously need an external hard drive connected. I have tried using a USB hub to connect both a hard drive and a USB stick - neither worked, but the hub powered up via the USB power. - This may just be my hub so if others have had more sucess please let me know. This is obviously a major problem with installing the telnet server - hence it is running on port 26 as standard and therefore you do not need to install it.

2) Please renember that the offical humax firmware is one 'generation' beheind for this box that the HDR, so functionality that was enabled in the latest firmware (the one with the portal on) WILL NOT WORK. This as far as I am aware includes the copy protection removal etc.

3) The file system is slightly different so please do expect a few problems as af123 does not have a box to test it on, and hence its going to be a bit of trial and error.

As far as I'm aware all packages install and work at present (as of last weekend) - excluding point 2!

As for web interface development - one thing I was going to work on, but have not had a chance to do anything about is a package control/install/removal page so that telnet is not required - I suspect that in the furutre we could well have the hppt server running as standard, and use this to install packages - If anybody else wants to take this up feel free!

It is probably best for af123 to comment on this but as I understand it is only necessary to make the link on the HD model not the HDR. If you have an HDR with an internal disk, you should not make a link to an external disk. I suggest removing this link then re-running modinit. Then reinstall utelnetd, restart, and reinstall the rest.

Thanks for that - I've removed that link, and re-installed, and everything seems to work okay - except for the mount attempt!

This is because /media is on a temporary filesystem (i.e. it exists in RAM and is lost when the device goes into standby). If you just type mount it will show which filesystems are mounted. The directories immediately under /media are recreated by the startup scripts when the device is started up or by the USB hotplug system. This happens before the other filesystems are mounted on these directories.

In short you need to do:
Code:
mkdir /media/knas
before the cifs mount command. The best thing might be to create a new startup script

I have been creating the directory, before mounting but I still get the 'failed: No such device' error. Would this be related to a problem with using -t cifs? is there anything I need to load before using that (the cifs package is definitely installed - if i try and install it again I get: Package cifs (2.6.18) installed in root is up to date.)

Just to sneak another question in there as well, looking over the previous posts, the restricted FTP should have been replaced during the update right? So when connecting, I should be able to move outside of /media? If so - this doesn't seem to be the case..

I have been creating the directory, before mounting but I still get the 'failed: No such device' error. Would this be related to a problem with using -t cifs? is there anything I need to load before using that (the cifs package is definitely installed - if i try and install it again I get: Package cifs (2.6.18) installed in root is up to date.)

Try 'lsmod' - is cifs listed? It should be loaded at startup by the cifs package. If it is listed, then maybe the share doesn't exist.

Just to sneak another question in there as well, looking over the previous posts, the restricted FTP should have been replaced during the update right? So when connecting, I should be able to move outside of /media? If so - this doesn't seem to be the case..
Yes you should be able to move outside of the tree. AFAIK af123 has replaced the original tinyftp binary in the hdf flash file.

Yes you should be able to move outside of the tree. AFAIK af123 has replaced the original tinyftp binary in the hdf flash file.

Unfortunately the 1.04 mod has the stock FTP server in it, that's a problem with my build script. 1.05 fixes that and I'm uploading that now - the FTP server is the only difference between 1.04 and 1.05.

If you want to stick with 1.04, you can just install the tinyftp package from the repository and disable the built-in one using the Humax menus. The packaged one always uses 0000 (four zeros) as the password but that can be changed in the startup script.

As for web interface development - one thing I was going to work on, but have not had a chance to do anything about is a package control/install/removal page so that telnet is not required - I suspect that in the furutre we could well have the hppt server running as standard, and use this to install packages - If anybody else wants to take this up feel free!

I'm planning to add a rudimentary service management page - if you have lots of services installed like mediatomb, samba & transmission, you may not want them all running all of the time. I'm going to add a web screen which lets you choose whether they are automatically started when coming out of standby and allows you to start and stop them. Like everyone else, it's a matter of making the time. Any contributions welcome!

Back