Customised HDF file released

Just installed the customised HDF on my HD, however seems all the packages have disappeared from hummypkg.org??

Doing ls -l shows that /mod is a symlink to mnt/hd2/mod
Trying to cd to /mod or mnt/hd2/mod results in:

If you have an external disk plugged in, then is should be mounted as /media/drive1. The symlinks should all resolve to there eventually. Do you have an external disk connected? Could you post the output of the 'df -h' command?

Just installed the customised HDF on my HD, however seems all the packages have disappeared from hummypkg.org??

I'm just rebuilding the package catalogue (fixing mongoose and gcc packages) - give it a minute, gcc is large and my Internet connection is slow.

If you have an external disk plugged in, then is should be mounted as /media/drive1. The symlinks should all resolve to there eventually. Do you have an external disk connected? Could you post the output of the 'df -h' command?
I've created a directory called mod on my external HDD and mounted this to mnt/hd2/mod:
mount mnt/hd2/mod /media/drive1/mod

This seems to work as opkg now tries to download the package.gz however all the files are currently inacessible

I've created a directory called mod on my external HDD and mounted this to mnt/hd2/mod:
mount mnt/hd2/mod /media/drive1/mod

/mnt/hd2/mod should be a symlink to /media/drive1/mod

Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 May  5 17:39 mod -> ../../media/drive1/mod

Maybe the missing bit is the creation of /mod on the external disk in the first place?

/mnt/hd2/mod should be a symlink to /media/drive1/mod

Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 May  5 17:39 mod -> ../../media/drive1/mod

Maybe the missing bit is the creation of /mod on the external disk in the first place?
Looks like it, now successfully run opkg update, glad you posted the above showing permissions!

Installed the tinyftp however it is prompting for a username/password, do you know what these will be af123?

Installed the tinyftp however it is prompting for a username/password, do you know what these will be af123?

They should be HumaxFTP and 0000 but check the process list with the ps command and they should be in there. They are passed as arguments to the server.

They should be HumaxFTP and 0000 but check the process list with the ps command and they should be in there. They are passed as arguments to the server.
Yes that works, thanks. Not really very experienced with Linux, I'll add ps to my ever growing list of useful commands :)

I was thinking about whether the best solution would be to have the remote scheduling software running on an external server anyway, then get the Humax to connect to the server and pull down a list of new things to record either when it boots up or periodically. Then one could set up a dummy recording twice a day just to cause it to update the list. It would avoid having to leave it powered on all the time.
This all assumes that it's possible to inject a new recording into the reservation database anyway - has anyone tried yet? It might not be possible without killing the humaxtv process and then, with the current HDF, the box reboots. There must also be some kind of hardware timer built into the Humax to wake it up ready to record, which needs more investigation. Inserting a record into the reservation table is probably not enough.

I'm sure it's all possible but there may be a few things to tackle on the way.

Did some crude testing...

- Adding entry to table doesn't appear on schedule as we knew. Waited over an hour to ensure the box doesn't auto-refresh.
- Adding a dummy entry on remote makes new entry show up on schedule, though not while recording.
- Putting box to sleep and waking it up makes the new entry show up on schedule, though not while recording (box stays awake while recording).
- Manually added schedules don't seem to wake box from sleep automatically.
- Adding an entry in table with different parameters (like name) work at first, but get overwritten with original values after a while, didn't notice when.
- Added an entry in the past, and after a soft reboot it kept the entry but pushed the recording forward to a late-night showing of that programme.
- Adding or deleting schedules with remote have immediate effects on table

I suspect it keeps a temporary store of it's schedule until it is flagged for an update. During an update it seems not just to load the table, but also cross-reference the programme info with the epg and update everything accordingly. While recording it only seems works from its temporary schedule.

Needs more investigation.

Did some crude testing...

- Adding entry to table doesn't appear on schedule as we knew. Waited over an hour to ensure the box doesn't auto-refresh.
- Adding a dummy entry on remote makes new entry show up on schedule, though not while recording.
- Putting box to sleep and waking it up makes the new entry show up on schedule, though not while recording (box stays awake while recording).
- Manually added schedules don't seem to wake box from sleep automatically.
- Adding an entry in table with different parameters (like name) work at first, but get overwritten with original values after a while, didn't notice when.
- Added an entry in the past, and after a soft reboot it kept the entry but pushed the recording forward to a late-night showing of that programme.
- Adding or deleting schedules with remote have immediate effects on table

I suspect it keeps a temporary store of it's schedule until it is flagged for an update. During an update it seems not just to load the table, but also cross-reference the programme info with the epg and update everything accordingly. While recording it only seems works from its temporary schedule.

Needs more investigation.
You could try sending SIGHUP to the humaxtv software, often the SIGHUP is used to reload configurations.

ie: # kill -HUP <pid> -- <pid> Process Id of running Humax software.

I'm pleased to be able to tell you that Samba v2.2.12 has been packaged up (thanks to af123) and is now available for download from the opkg repository. Enjoy ! :)

You could try sending SIGHUP to the humaxtv software, often the SIGHUP is used to reload configurations.

ie: # kill -HUP <pid> -- <pid> Process Id of running Humax software.

Unfortunately killing the humax process reboots the box. The schedule appears after reboot of course, but not ideal.

Looks like it, now successfully run opkg update, glad you posted the above showing permissions!
I'm a little stuck now (on the HD model). So I've set up a symlink to /media/drive1/mod using

ln -s /media/drive1/mod /mnt/hd2/mod

and fixed up an error with my dns entry so the box can see //hummypkg.org.uk, but when I run "opkg update" I get

Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
wget: can't open '/Packages.gz': Read-only file system
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
I can create my own text files in /mod so it doesn't appear to be read only. Any help appreciated...

Steve

Had some success now - after manually installing the tinyftp package and sucessfully doing opkg list_installed, opkg update magically started working :)

Bad news is that I've installed the hmt package and looked at the encoding flag setting on the SD recordings and it is not set. So it looks like the HD simply doesn't decode recordings when copying them like the HDR. Until someone can work out how to get the encryption key out of the machine and decode them (or Humax enable the decode on copy feature). It looks like setting up media servers etc may be a bit of a waste of time for the HD...

Steve

Back