Detect ads not working with ethernet loopback cable.

"Experiencing problems" doesn't happen unless there's something which needs fixing. Using software decryption as a work-around is not addressing the problem. In this case, I suggest the problem is some kind of corruption, and I wouldn't trust that HDD regardless of what fixdisk says.

So I received the WiFi dongle today, have re-installed webIF and packages I previously had. Detectads seems to be working now.

Couple more questions?

1) What packages do you suggest or find invaluable to your experience?
In the past, the only packages I found made my experience better were detectads, tunefix, auto schedule restore, boot settings, resting, newk and undelete.

2) detectads will work now even when not connected to the hotspot or do I still need to have the loopback cable in?

3) I can't seem to configure manual LAN (WiFi) only DHCP.

Currently on DHCP settings are

IP address. 192.168.161.138
Netmask. 255.255.255.0
Gateway address. 192.168.161.171
DNS. 192.168.161.171

When I set Humax ip address to my chosen address. Settings fail to apply and gateway address goes to 0.0.0 0.

After gateway changes to 0.0.0.0,I manually choose the same gateway address as when in DHCP but it still fails. The gateway address is the router right, so in my case, my phone's ip address or ip address of my phone's hotspot?

One more question, 6 months ago I saw the exact same Humax box in a charity shop for a tenner so I grabbed it as a backup should this one die. Is there an easy way to transfer the contents of this HDD to the new one? Or is it a case of reinstalling the custom firmware and packages.

Also every time I go into the webIF, there is the red warning about bad sectors1000003414.png1000003415.png

1) What packages do you suggest or find invaluable to your experience?
See Quick Start Guide, Post 3.

2) detectads will work now even when not connected to the hotspot or do I still need to have the loopback cable in?
You'll need the loopback (I see no reason not to have it there), or opt for software decrytion.

I can't seem to configure manual LAN (WiFi) only DHCP...

When I set Humax ip address to my chosen address. Settings fail to apply and gateway address goes to 0.0.0 0.
Your phone is now providing router functions, not your router. You have to stick with the assignments provided by DHCP except for the last 8 bits of the IP address (unless you alter the netmask etc on the phone). Setting manual LAN should always be to perform a DHCP and then tweak that only when setting to manual.

Use the WebIF advanced settings to enforce the LAN (WiFi) at boot – the WiFi settings have a habit of forgetting what they should be.

One more question
One?

I saw the exact same Humax box in a charity shop for a tenner so I grabbed it as a backup
Nice

Is there an easy way to transfer the contents of this HDD to the new one? Or is it a case of reinstalling the custom firmware and packages.
If you're just talking about the CF configuration, you have to install CF to Flash as usual but then you can transfer the /mod folder and run fix-flash-packages. But it is rather a fiddle because if you use a UPD as the transfer medium it will need to be formatted Ext2 or Ext3 so as not to lose the file permissions. IMO it's not that hard just to reinstall WebIF and packages the normal way.

If you're talking about recordings as well... see Rescuing Recordings from a Dead HDR-FOX

Also every time I go into the webIF, there is the red warning about bad sectors
Is this on the spare? So %$^£# run fixdisk! If this is on the one you just ran fixdisk on, worry!

Last edited:
In the past, the only packages I found made my experience better were detectads, tunefix, auto schedule restore, boot settings, resting, newk and undelete.
What is 'resting'

Fan is very useful for keeping disk temperature down to a reasonable level and sysmon to monitor the temperature
auto-unprotect if you want to access HD recordings

At least: auto-unprotect, auto-update, dlna-filter, fan, transportx, tunefix-auto.
No idea what resting is.
You don't need it if it's connected to Wireless.
After gateway changes to 0.0.0.0,I manually choose the same gateway address as when in DHCP but it still fails.
You need to state all the attempted numbers if you want an answer. How is anyone supposed to know what you are trying?

You'll need the loopback (I see no reason not to have it there), or opt for software decrytion.

Ok cool, I just wasn't sure if it was necessary if a wireless dongle was now in use even if not connected to a wireless network. I will put it back in.

If you're just talking about the CF configuration, you have to install CF to Flash as usual but then you can transfer the /mod folder and run fix-flash-packages. But it is rather a fiddle because if you use a UPD as the transfer medium it will need to be formatted Ext2 or Ext3 so as not to lose the file permissions. IMO it's not that hard just to reinstall WebIF and packages the normal way.

Ok I will just install the same way I did with this one.

Is this on the spare? So %$^£# run fixdisk! If this is on the one you just ran fixdisk on, worry!

No, the spare is in storage. This is indeed the one that fixdisk was recently run on! So the writing is on the wall for this HDD? I best get the spare configured ready for a swap then!

What is 'resting'

Fan is very useful for keeping disk temperature down to a reasonable level and sysmon to monitor the temperature
auto-unprotect if you want to access HD recordings

Redring!

Sweet, I will check those others out

You don't need it if it's connected to Wireless.

It won't be connected to wireless, that's what I was asking.

You need to state all the attempted numbers if you want an answer. How is anyone supposed to know what you are trying?

I thought I did?

I listed all the DHCP numbers and said that when attempt to choose my own ip address it fails and replaces the gateway address to 0.0.0.0

So the writing is on the wall for this HDD? I best get the spare configured ready for a swap then!
The reallocated sector count only highlights if there is a significant change since last time it was logged. It's not unusual to get a warning flag when CF is first installed, because any count at all is an increase on zero, but the log should have synced by now.

Run another fixdisk and see what the situation is after that, and keep an eye on the reallocated sector count yourself. If it is steadily increasing, the HDD will eventually run out of spare sectors to swap in for the failed ones (reallocation) and then risks losing data.

This is the self-repair built into modern HDDs. A number of reallocated sectors is expected at the start, like the bathtub failure curve, and the mechanism protects the manufacturers from warranty claims by having this spare capacity. It is also not unexpected to have the occasional reallocation during the service life, but a significant uplift is an indication of the far end of the bathtub curve and imminent inability to self-repair any further.

HAL said:
I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours.

But if you're still in the bottom of the bathtub, I wouldn't worry unduly. I've had hiccups with HDDs that are still running years later. Nonetheless it is as well to have a recovery plan.

Either give the information or shut up.
Seems harsh; perhaps I'm being unusually patient or happen to be on the right wavelength but I understood. No idea why anyone would want to change just the gateway address though, least of all if they don't understand what it does!

You still didn't say to what. But I don't care. Sort it out yourself. Either give the information or shut up.

Bloody hell, calm down. The issue is already sorted, someone else understood what I was asking and responded before you had replied.

If it is steadily increasing, the HDD will eventually run out of spare sectors to swap in for the failed ones (reallocation) and then risks losing data.
Of course, every time you lose a sector you have already lost the data it contained, whether it can be re-mapped subsequently or not.

The reallocated sector count only highlights if there is a significant change since last time it was logged. It's not unusual to get a warning flag when CF is first installed, because any count at all is an increase on zero, but the log should have synced by now.

Run another fixdisk and see what the situation is after that, and keep an eye on the reallocated sector count yourself. If it is steadily increasing, the HDD will eventually run out of spare sectors to swap in for the failed ones (reallocation) and then risks losing data.

Ok, I'll keep an eye. I'll get the spare ready just in case. Thanks for the help. Thanks everyone else!

Of course, every time you lose a sector you have already lost the data it contained, whether it can be re-mapped subsequently or not.
Not necessarily true. Sectors are re-read in an attempt to recover the data, and reallocated. The whole idea is to intervene before data loss. What you're talking about is the unrecoverable sector count.

Back