[DetectAds] Announcing DetectAds version 2

Me too. Found that the auto cropping let me down a couple of times when it was HWMBO's programme. She was not best pleased when I had to go rooting around in the Media to: a. Find a copy that was still there. b. Fast forward to where we left off.
Bookmark the end and use jump to bookmark does it for me. :D

Have bitten the bullet and decided to use DetectsAds with Chaserun but just bookmarking (no cropping).
Saw the following Limitations for DetectAds (taken from the DetectAds Wiki):

Limitations
  • DetectAds works by detecting the short periods of silence that occur between ads and looks for clusters of these silence to distinguish between ad breaks and natural silences occurring during programmes.
  • Unfortunately sponsor bumper messages, viewer competitions, news bulletins and some trailers don't always have the necessary silences to allow them to be detected and removed.
  • Some ad breaks, especially in overnight programs, are too short to be reliably detected.
  • Ads in radio transmissions are not detected, DetectAds automatic processing will exclude recordings that have the Radio flag set.
Has anyone used Chaserun where you are recording (say) from ITV and CH4 at the same time?
Does Chaserun still mark the bookmarks Ok for both recordings, and are there any further limitations?
(E.g. While the 2 channels are recording is there any limitation on playback or general performance, or would it just be like the usual scenario when you are recording 2 channels at the same time?).

Has anyone used Chaserun where you are recording (say) from ITV and CH4 at the same time?
Does Chaserun still mark the bookmarks Ok for both recordings, and are there any further limitations?
(E.g. While the 2 channels are recording is there any limitation on playback or general performance, or would it just be like the usual scenario when you are recording 2 channels at the same time?).
When you have simultaneous recordings being processed they are time sliced so that each is processed alternately in 30 second chunks so there should be no additional impacts to the system

When you have simultaneous recordings being processed they are time sliced so that each is processed alternately in 30 second chunks so there should be no additional impacts to the system
The developers of Chaserun and DetectAds have done great! A couple of days ago I put the Humax through its paces by recording programmes on Channel 4 and ITV1 simultaneously, whilst watching a previously recorded programme. As sure as the quote above, within minutes of the recordings completing they were bookmarked accordingly. Ads detected. Not a even a whisper on the playback while this was all happening. For now I can definitely vouch for the bookmark only option when using Chaserun with DetectAds.

:) :) :) :) :) :) Excellent work people. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Have bitten the bullet and decided to use DetectsAds with Chaserun but just bookmarking (no cropping).
If you are not cropping then just have it bookmark the end of the ads as I do. What can happen if you bookmark start and end is that when you realise that the ads are about to run (which is likely to be before the DetectAds 'start' bookmark) and hit the 'Jump Bookmark' button, it will jump to the bookmark at the start of the ads. OK, it's just one more press, but if you just bookmark the end it is (almost) faultless.:D
I only bookmark rather than crop as I had a couple of recordings that cropped the programme and left the ads. As they were both Coronation Street, you can imagine how much wrath descended upon my head from SWMBO, and I had to go groping around to find the saved uncropped version.:frantic:

Nar then. Here's a question.
I frequently put a programme to record (Say the Ice dancing on ITV), then start watching the recording about 15 to mins after the start and jump the ads to catch up. The recording in the Media list has not been bookmarked (I do use chase run) so I have to use the skip button to jump the ads. The bookmarked chase run copy must be squirrelled away somewhere. Where, and is there any snag in playing this rather than the Media copy? One that I can envisage is that the file will be open because I am watching it so the 'end of ad detection' won't be able to tidy up with the renaming etc.
Please enlighten me exactly how DetectAds in chaserun mode does it's magic filing system wise (I know that it detects silence etc.) and what will cause various file system 'failure' modes.

If you are not cropping then just have it bookmark the end of the ads as I do.
Firstly thanks for the hint on the Bookmarks on the end of ads only. I'll try that out.

Nar then. Here's a question.
I frequently put a programme to record (Say the Ice dancing on ITV), then start watching the recording about 15 to mins after the start and jump the ads to catch up. The recording in the Media list has not been bookmarked (I do use chase run) so I have to use the skip button to jump the ads. The bookmarked chase run copy must be squirrelled away somewhere. Where, and is there any snag in playing this rather than the Media copy? One that I can envisage is that the file will be open because I am watching it so the 'end of ad detection' won't be able to tidy up with the renaming etc.
Please enlighten me exactly how DetectAds in chaserun mode does it's magic filing system wise (I know that it detects silence etc.) and what will cause various file system 'failure' modes.
Checking the DetectAds logs, the file is placed somewhere like /mod/tmp or something like that. So how you play it, I'm not sure how the Humax would let you, nor see it in the recorded list.
As for watching a recording whilst it's been Chaserun'd and DetectAds'd (my lexical ability failing there, plus you may know this already) the file is noted as "IN USE". If you are still watching the programme being recorded (say watching with a delay of 10 mins) then you'll see "Dancing on Ice-decrpyt" (bookmarked) and "Dancing on Ice" (non-bookmarked) in the recording list.
If you actually catch up, then logically I reckon the programme (file) will not be "IN USE", and the bookmarks will be put in place once recording completes. So you should perhaps see in this case just the one recording with bookmarks.

Last edited:
Thanks BH. I'll have a good stiff read of that in a bit.
Thanks BB. I'll do a test run in a bit and see what happens, a. When I catch up and b. When it reaches the end to see what debris is left behind. I have sometimes had 'decrypt' files left on my box.

DetectAds can not place bookmarks into a programme that is being recorded or played because the Humax frequently updates the hmt file with the current status and that overwrites the bookmarks so in chaserun mode you will only see the bookmarks at the end of recording when the Humax has finished updating the file.

If you started playing the -decrypt file in chase play you would see the bookmarks currently placed but wouldn't see the ones for for future ad breaks

Cropping is the only way to take advantage of ad-detection during recording and has a list of restrictions in the wiki (15 minutes would be too soon to start watching Dancing on Ice in Chase play mode)

Hi all.
Have recently install DetecAds and chaseget both of which seem to be running rely well, apart from what appears to be a strange anomaly.
If the recording is a one off e.g. just record the one episode of the Emerdale I end up with just one recording with all the bookmarks added.
If the recording is part of series link and put in a file of linked recordings there are two the same, both with bookmarks but one has the -Decrypt tag.
See Photo attached20180223_191943.jpg
See attached screen shot file of browser

Screenshot (1).png

I hope I have put this new post in the right place if not can a Mod move it please.
Thanks All

Open files can be renamed on Linux.
Yes, Linux allows it and if you rename a recording in progress it will continue to write the recording successfully to the new .ts and .nts file name/location

BUT the Humax software will continue to update the original .hmt file name/location which leads to an orphaned hmt.

Ditto for programmes being watched

For this reason DetectAds does not delete the original recording if it detects that it is still in use when it is doing end of recording processing and instead leaves the -decrypt or -crop files behind. If it went ahead with renaming and the programme is being watched the Humax would overwrite the newly detected bookmarks.

This is working as designed and not a bug

Last edited:
If you are not cropping then just have it bookmark the end of the ads as I do.
Followed your suggestion ever since.
So far so good. On the odd occasion it bookmarks in the wrong place, but this is no biggie. ;)
Would say it happens less than 5% of the time.
Cheers Trev.

Back