Distributing Humax Output by UHF

I thought it was unlikely. I'll run out about 15 meters of cat5, put a couple of plugs on and see how it performs before routing it through the house. I have hears mention that they can be a bit "glitchy".

I used to use one, but gave up. It did work, but not for long. The unit just died.

As an alternative, I now have an Amazon FireTV Stick attached to the 'non-smart' TV. I use an app to access my HDRs via my network. It works like a charm and as a bonus, I now have a 'smarter' TV!

I don't understand why the OP wants to do anything other than use his already-connected mini-PC as a network client.

No it definitely won't. It's not using Ethernet to communicate, just the impedance-controlled Cat5 cable point-to-point.
OK, I see. I'd be interested to know how the signal is sent along the cable. I wonder if there are there four parallel streams? I'll have the kit sometime today so I better do some Googling. in the morning.

About 50% of the time my wife and I watch the same program in different locations and yell back and forth to each other, so We'd be out of sync with our viewing. The other 50% I watch my HDR T2 and she watches hers. Although the T2's and the other Humax stuff see the media servers and PC's on the network, I can't see them from my PC's at the moment. Something I've not tried to sort as there is always something more pressing. But I will do sometime.

Yep. That'l work 100% as that's what I have got, provided you don't want IR control of the remote box.

Yep. That'l work 100% as that's what I have got, provided you don't want IR control of the remote box.
Arriving tomorrow and the coax is in situ. I did look at the newer one, but I've already got a couple of HDMI splitters.

I'll try again, but your heads up is encouraging.

Bear in mind that if you use an RF splitter in reverse to mix 'off air' with the mod output, that they are usually directional (the wrong way) to DC (diode in circuit) and this may affect any 'bottom fed' amplifier that you have.

There are no amplifiers in the system, not even a masthead amp. When I've got it up and running, I might try a resistive passive network to inject the antenna signal into the feed, which will introduce a 3db loss of course.

Just thought tonight, how long before we do this sort of stuff over fibre. Did a bit of digging and I was surprised that a 30 meter fibre patch lead was only nine quid. Quite a few HDMI to fibre and vice versa convertors available from stupid prices to stuff which is too cheap to be true.

I might have a go at this when I have a chance. How did I managed when I worked full time!

Yes, 100% is spot on. Worked out of the box, kept all the settings at default and had no problem.

Last edited:
Bloody thing just packed in. Set to Ch21, It sees a signal, does a scan, but there is no channel on there. I've removed the HDMI lead, just in case. and plugged it in the TV and I can see what's playing on the T2. Although I've not changed anything, I'm going to do a factory reset. If that doesn't work I'll return and replace I think.

I did a factory reset and its working again. I'll stick with it and see how we go. One thing I have to do is get some crimp F connectors and a crimper. Not something I've ever had much use for.

Good news then.
Why crimp? What's wrong with screw on ones, if you have the right size? (Although crimp are arguably better.)

Good news then.
Why crimp? What's wrong with screw on ones, if you have the right size? (Although crimp are arguably better.)
Only just saw this Trev. The screw ones are a bit like SCART. They work until you move them and then they're a bit hit or miss.

I returned the modulator to Amazon as it kept of falling over. I'm still considering an alternative. Any further suggestions?

Back