Driving and Roads

(It's only recently I became aware that parking on pavements was barred only in London - I was appalled.)
I've only just become aware of this. :mad:

I was under the impression that it was an offence to drive on the pavement, except for the purposes of access to premises. Therefore parking on the pavement should also be barred. Trouble is, the police seemed to think that cars magically park on the pavement and wouldn't prosecute because they didn't have the evidence that the vehicle drove on the pavement. It's got two wheels on the pavement - how do you think it got there. Flew?

It appears it is no longer an offence that the police deal with, it is up to the local authority.:rolleyes:
Next thing they'll do is hive off some other road policing functions to the Highways Agency. :thumbsdown:

Stealing a chocolate bar in a shop might leave no evidence, because the shop keeper has no cctv and does not know how many bars were in the pile, and never does a stocktake. It is still theft, even though you never get caught.
I agree that is clearly theft, but there is a physical transfer of property or damage meaning that someone is worse off, even if they aren't aware of it.

To be precise the moggie in the box is either definitely dead or definitely alive. What is uncertain is the information about which of those two states it is actually in.
A moggie left in a sealed box indefinitely is definitely deceased.

More often, being found not guilty doesn't mean you didn't commit the offence, just that there was not enough good evidence to prove it, or that the jury was corrupt, or you had a very good lawyer.
That's not the point I was making. My point was that one can be found guilty of something one didn't do - but the prosecution were able to convince the jury otherwise.

This general discussion of crimes against person or property is outside what I was talking about (not that we can't talk about it).

What I was specifically talking about is the completely victimless breaking of a few rules in the Highway Code. No cats need die in the process (unless one runs into the road without due care and attention).

I agree that is clearly theft, but there is a physical transfer of property or damage meaning that someone is worse off, even if they aren't aware of it.
Ah but if you repent and next day sneak in and replace the bar, you are still guilty of theft the first time.

That's not the point I was making. My point was that one can be found guilty of something one didn't do - but the prosecution were able to convince the jury otherwise.
I know that wasn't the point you were making. But, I was pointing out that being found not guilty of something you did do is more common.

I suspect that the reason there is little done about pavement parking (PP) is that it can vastly improve traffic flow. There is a busy road by me on which there is a lot of pavement parking one side which allows for two way traffic. The council/police had a blitz on PP on the road which reduced the traffic flow to single lane and caused havoc. The thing is, that it's a wide pavement, and a car parked half on the pavement leaves plenty of room for pedestrians and other pavement users. After a couple of weeks, PP resumed and so did normal two way traffic flow. Result!

Pavement parking, please sign!
I've never quite had the courage to go along the pavement with a can of spray paint and paint a line on the cars where the kerb line is. Even less courage to go along with an industrial strength angle grinder and cut the cars off at the kerb. I usually protest by giving the door mirror an accidental belt with my arm as I pass - and some of the buggers have rigid mirrors and it hurts! (Yes, I know, serves me right. Plus, if nobody sees me doing criminal damage - am I committing an offence? :D - Shorry, ocifer I've been to the pub, and wash a bit wobbly. I didn't do it on purposh. Honesht! ;))

I suspect that the reason there is little done about pavement parking (PP) is that it can vastly improve traffic flow.
There are many minor roads near me with similar problems. If people don't park on the pavements, fire engines and ambulances (and bin lorries, buses) can't get up the road. Shirley some adjustment to the pavement width, or putting in parking bays, or completely restricting parking on one side of the road would be better.

On the road that I am talking about, the cars only park one side anyway, although there are no parking restrictions on the other side. People using their heads for a change. It's the same up my road, peeps only park on one side.

On the road that I am talking about, the cars only park one side anyway, although there are no parking restrictions on the other side. People using their heads for a change. It's the same up my road, peeps only park on one side.
My god, which planet do you live on? I need to relocate.

What about new developments where the roads are so narrow there is not even room to park one side without blocking the road? It is the developers and councils who need to carry the can for those.

Why don't new developments have enough off-street parking? I can understand why pre-war housing areas don't, but there's no excuse now.

Once upon a time, it was not permitted to park commercial vehicles in housing areas. Either that does not apply now, or it is widely ignored (like many inconvenient regulations).

We have a road like that. The residents think they own the road, and park in such a way as to make it dangerous to drive along. It is a steep hill, with bends, so they park on the bends. Not one of their drives has a car on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about new developments where the roads are so narrow there is not even room to park one side without blocking the road?
I say double yellow line both sides, and reduce their property values.:p

Back