Driving and Roads

Grass verges are apparently part of the road. That's why you can't put rocks on them to stop inconsiderate parking.

So why the ornamental trees then? Are those also allowed in the middle of a road?:o_O:

Did you all know that it is not illegal to park across someone's drive? I mean, literally, straight across and totally blocking the drive?

Did you all know that it is not illegal to park across someone's drive? I mean, literally, straight across and totally blocking the drive?
Try it and you'll probably find all your lights smashed and your tyres with punctures.

Yes, I did. Providing you are not blocking them in and thus causing an obstruction. Blocking them out doesn't count.

Do you have a link for that information? A former neighbour of mine said the same, but I would have thought both were an obstruction.

Speaking with no authority: having a dropped kerb implies a right of vehicular access.

There are dropped kerbs for driveways and dropped kerbs for disabled access, though, and only the latter count.

Roundabout: A special road junction where very slow drivers can pass the task of spoiling your day to another very slow driver.

Why don't new developments have enough off-street parking? I can understand why pre-war housing areas don't, but there's no excuse now.
If, by off-street parking, you mean a drive/garage within your property - I am as puzzled by the lack as you are.
If you meant lock-up garages as provided in some post-war housing developments (where there were no individual drive/garages on council estates) - the parking problem has been made worse with the lock-ups being pulled down and replaced by housing in every little crook and nanny near to me. 56 off-street lock ups became 6 houses with no front gardens but 2 on-street parking bays per house. However, the lock-ups were not being used for the proper purpose and people were parking on-street anyway. With the housing shortage, I suppose this made sense.

The trouble with garages is that unless it is a double there's not enough room for a modern car anyway.

I have a friend in a council flat where there was once adequate parking and even garages they could rent. The garages have been pulled down, and more housing built there and over half of the car park. Now there are about 14 parking bays for 60 elderly people's flats, and cars stuck anywhere they can squeeze one in. She's given up using her car unless I go over and put mine in the space!

Roundabout: A special road junction where very slow drivers can pass the task of spoiling your day to another very slow driver.
Not round here. Usually, the drivers at the entrance to your right are so damned quick out of the trap you really don't have time to pull out - unless you want to hear horns, see flashing headlights and some objectionable gestures.

Lock up garages? I don't remember ever seeing many of those, apart from on tv crime dramas.

As for single garages, we have one built in. Over time it has held, one at a time, a Vauxhall Cavalier 4x4, two Rav4s, and now a Toyota Yaris, which has bags of room. I have not dared to try the Toyota Auris TS, and anyway, I would need to move a lot of things to get it in. A normal Auris would be no problem.

A salesman once drove a Honda Accord into it, to demonstrate it would fit. He only convinced us that it wouldn't.

If, by off-street parking, you mean a drive/garage within your property - I am as puzzled by the lack as you are.
Suggest you look at http://www.parliament.uk/business/p...written-statement/Commons/2015-03-25/HCWS488/ and the section Parking: helping local shops and preventing congestion. It refers to The imposition of maximum parking standards under the last Administration lead to blocked and congested streets and pavement parking.
Therein lies the reason for a lot of more recent properties having less than adequate parking provision...

Round here, they keep closing junctions. You take a route you know well, and suddenly it's gone. You may have to drive another mile to get to where you are going, if you can work out the route without crashing, but what the hell? May as well cause even more inner city pollution, why not?

Round here, they keep closing junctions. You take a route you know well, and suddenly it's gone.
Many years ago on a radio programme "Stop the World" there was a sketch that they swore was true. A woman was stopped by police from driving up the road because it was one way (and not the way she was going). Later the same day, she came down the road the correct way only to be stopped by the police again for going the wrong way. During the day the council had messed with the roads. :rolleyes:

Back