Driving and Roads

Ah yes he has, but if the Welsh were to own them, they could re-introduce the toll charge to cover the maintenance and any surplus would go towards their miss handling of their handouts from England.:D

Something that irritates me: bus/taxi lane filter lights that ordinary traffic can't use, while the buses and taxis are still allowed to use the lane for ordinary traffic. Bastards!

Speed humps. I wonder if it is road safety that 'is their highest priority' or air pollution that 'is their highest priority'.
It makes me laugh when commercial outfits say hygiene/worker safety/customer safety/etc. (delete as required) is their highest priority. No it isn't, it's making a profit, possibly by reducing costs at the expense of the public, is.

Speed humps. I wonder if it is road safety that 'is their highest priority' or air pollution that 'is their highest priority'.
Humps don't contribute much towards road safety. Those that obey the speed limit will be driving slowly anyway. The number of times I've seen people speeding over the humps as though they weren't there. Don't forget those pesky humps interfere with fire engines and ambulances trying to get to an incident, and are a pain to the patient being taken to hospital. They don't do much for PC Plod's back when he's chasing the yobs across the local sink estate (or my back when travelling on a bus). Get rid of the humps and improve the air quality!

But that's only your opinion, (Mine too) not the opinion of the ijits who thought that they were a 'major contribution to road safety' and spent zillions of pounds of our money destroying the road surfaces.

Talk about 'moving deckchairs on the Titanic'... Every morning and evening during the rush hour our local radio station report tail backs, delays, etc on all roads including motorways. In my mind removing speed humps will make next to no impact on pollution compared to getting traffic moving smoothly all the time (though it is, of course, a cheaper option).
Having said that I would be glad to see the back of speed humps.

I wouldn't mind so much if it were possible to drive over speed humps at the posted limit, but you can't (unless in a 4x4, or have no regard for passenger comfort, or can straddle them thereby inflicting hidden damage to the inside walls of your tyres). Further, properties adjacent to humps are now subject to seismic damage that is in some cases causing cracks.

We can hear the seismic waves 200 miles away. :laugh::whistling::whistling:

PS Your method puts tracking out, the recommended way, straight over, just breaks the suspension.

I said nothing about the way I take them! Putting one wheel over and the other not imposes a twist and then the opposite twist on the chassis, especially with a torsion beam rear axle.

It depends what they are like. The recommendation is that you drive over with both wheels going fully up then down, not always possible unless you have one fully across the road or two small squares you can straddle.

There is one calmed hill here which has a car parked near or over every single hump. You have to take the middle of the road all the way. The cars seem to be deliberately parked so you can't take the easy route straddling the nearside hump, even though each hump has hatch marks over it.

In my mind removing speed humps will make next to no impact on pollution compared to getting traffic moving smoothly all the time
I guess you only drive in the rush hour. There is plenty of traffic at other times doing the quick-slow-quick dance at other times of the day.

straddle them thereby inflicting hidden damage to the inside walls of your tyres
Your method puts tracking out,
If you step back and consider the forces applied when cornering at even a moderate rate, do you really believe that traversing the fairly gentle sides of a 'pillow' is going to damage tyres or suspension?
Yes, I've heard the anecdotes, etc, but of course the people that blame the speed bumps (and therefore someone else) for their automotive woes are usually the same clowns that always park half on the pavement ... which means they routinely drive their wheels up a near vertical wall.

The problem is not the "gentle" sides of the pillow, but the trashed up sides of an eroded pillow - particularly those plastic add-on ones that seem to self-destruct quite rapidly. They are quite capable of inflicting sidewall damage where you can't see it, like the cuts you get in the outside wall by clipping the kerb (but where you can see it).

Driving up a kerb at parking speed and hitting a bump at 20mph are totally different experiences. The former is like driving over a pothole or ramp, slowly, the latter like doing it at speed. Cars aren't designed to last these days. I used to drive a Renault 12 at speed over a demolition site in my younger, more foolish, days, I would not dream of it now.

And as BH said, sidewall damage and tread damage are also totally different.

There was (and maybe still is) a village in the Vale of Belvoir (or was it in Rutland :confused:), where they used very slightly raised humps - ie. a lane wide rumble strip. Minimal damage and maximum noise. Certainly effective for me. Doesn't bounce you up and down, but the noise makes you realise there is something odd.

Sections of the M18 used to be like that, near Goole.
I'm sure I've driven that way a couple of times to go from Nottingham to Hull (saves paying to go over the bridge). I don't remember that. Are you sure it wasn't the poor state of the road? :D

I'm sure I've driven that way a couple of times to go from Nottingham to Hull (saves paying to go over the bridge). I don't remember that. Are you sure it wasn't the poor state of the road? :D
It was a new surface, between Doncaster and the M62, and it was light coloured and very noisy.

Back