Driving and Roads

How anyone thought that by restricting parking would lead to less car use is beyond me. What planet are these people on?:roflmao:
Planet Nottingham Shity Council. The City Council has a workplace parking levy http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/tr...s/parking-and-permits/workplace-parking-levy/ , meaning most business (11 or more workers), have to pay a fat subsidy (£387 per parking space per year) to the City Council. Initially it was supposed to deter car use, but it is another money grabbing scheme - probably ring fenced for public transport. As the cost is usually passed on from the employer to the employee (ie. you have to pay to park at your place of work), and the majority of people live outside the City Council area, there is a problem. The people paying the "tax" can't vote the council out. As far as I can tell, it hasn't reduced car use, just made the council a bit richer. On top of this, car parks are more expensive and on-street parking for free in the city area almost impossible. Now we are getting "Red Routes" and dedicated lanes for electric vehicles. The polluting traffic will be sitting idle in jams more often. Is that really going to reduce inner city pollution?

I taxed my car on line a couple of days ago and received the confirmation email that contained the following
DVLA said:
The law has changed, you do not need to display a tax disc, therefore we will not issue one to you.
You may wish to save or print this email confirmation for your records.
Print out the email? Doh. If you sent me a tax disc, I wouldn't have to and I would have a permanent reminder affixed to my windscreen.:mad:

I taxed my car on line a couple of days ago and received the confirmation email that contained the following
I thought that was disingenuous when I received the same - the law did not change and thus render it unnecessary to provide a tax disc (as they have tried to imply), they decided to save money by not sending out tax discs, and the law was changed to accommodate it.

I now display this:

IMG_2444.JPG

(Full res PDF attached - easy to change the background colour with an image editor)

Attachments

• TaxDisc.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 7
If that is displayed on the public highway, it is illegal under UK law (which only permits a restricted form of display and a selection of numerical limits ending in zeros).

I suppose the Irish firm thought they were doing us a favour by not putting up a sign displaying 15kph.

If that is displayed on the public highway, it is illegal under UK law (which only permits a restricted form of display and a selection of numerical limits ending in zeros).
"MPH" is never specified either, and the typeface is wrong.

And I always thought there were circles squares and the odd triangular signs. I too am not going to wade, but thanks for the offer.

The problem is that if traffic signs or road markings don't match the exact letter of the law some lawyer will be able to get you off that speeding/parking fine. (Although I would have thought paying the lawyer costs more than the fine).

Someone of my acquaintance was adamant (and still is) that the speed limit at the tolls for the Second Severn Crossing (M4) is 30mph. The only correctly signed speed limit is 50mph - the 30 only appears as a marking on the road in a circle (which is a reminder, not the beginning of a limit zone unless it coincides with the standard lollipop sign). It would actually be very stupid to try passing the toll gates at more than 2mph, even with a transponder tag.

Even the 50 limit is widely ignored, and I happily watch them approaching the queues too fast to be able to pick the shortest one... while I trundle through the tag lane and leave them all behind.

There used to be plenty of dodgy signs and 20 painted in the road on an estate near me. They were not legal. Now they have the correct (legal valid) signs, and still nobody observes the limit. Another estate has the correct 20mph signage and speed bumps - and traffic speeds that I would estimate at 30-40mph!

Severn Crossing tolls will be scrapped in 2018

I'm sure someone here will be happy about this.

It'll save me plenty - I spent £1500 on it in the last year (which is very slightly more than a season tag would have cost, but on the other hand I can't predict that I will always use it that much).

On the other hand, having paid for the maintenance practically single handed, who's going to stop them falling down after that?

On the other hand, having paid for the maintenance practically single handed, who's going to stop them falling down after that?
Well, in the article I was reading the Welsh politician was demanding that they should own them. I daresay he hasn't thought it through properly yet :)

Back