Driving and Roads

"Supposed to know" may be the intention, but many don't (or have forgotten, or think they might get away with it... which they probably will with the current state of policing).
In theory you are supposed to know, otherwise you'd probably fail the driving test. I know there is a problem with too many signs in some places, but your original point is valid. :thumbsup:
Well, around Weston Village (Bath) they've been painting cycle logos on the road and dedicating half of it for those buggers where there's hardly room for cars to pass anyway. Since when did cyclists pay towards the provision and upkeep of roads (general taxation notwithstanding)?
A main road near me* had cycle tracks painted on both sides of the road - obviously narrowing the road. The opportunity was taken to reduce the speed limit as well (60mph/40mph down to 30mph). The interesting part is that there are some detector wires embedded in the cycle track and the pavement. And, yes, there are cyclists still cycling on the pavement.
Re prpr's rant on 20 mph speed limit signs, I've just spent a few days in Birkdale/Southport and the lampposts there are festooned with them. No one takes any notice, even the local buses travel at 30.
See my comment at #475. Same road as above (*) at end of cycle track. A non-enforceable advisory 20mph with speed trap flashing at legal 28mph drivers. :rolleyes:

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Please will a Bristol native explain why the road signs at the roundabout where the Westerleigh road crosses the A4174 ring road direct traffic for Bristol and the M4, M5, and M32 towards Westerleigh? As far as I know that's just a winding country road that eventually comes out on the A46 close to M4 J18 having passed through Codrington (hardly a good route for HGVs, or even if you want the M4 eastbound - never mind anything westwards!). The obvious route is to continue along the A4174 to M32 J1, and connect with the M4 from there.

I can understand that might have been a diversion while the Bromley Heath viaduct was being rebuilt (between this roundabout and the next in the anticlockwise direction, ie heading for the M32), but that was finished months ago.

(Courtesy Google Street View)

1541627117964.png

1541627634401.png

prpr

Please will a Bristol native explain why the road signs at the roundabout where the Westerleigh road crosses the A4174 ring road direct traffic for Bristol and the M4, M5, and M32 towards Westerleigh?
If the city council have had anything to do with it, I'm not surprised. Everything they do seems to make things worse. Been going downhill ever since the millennium, when they turned the Centre from gyratory to figure of 8, and made a lot worse by the previous mayor.
The green sign on the bottom picture has had something covered over - perhaps they forgot to remove it.

(I'm not a native, thank God - I just drive around in that area sometimes; thankfully a lot less than I used to.)

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The green sign on the bottom picture has had something covered over - perhaps they forgot to remove it.
It does, I think the M4 (etc) markings have been painted over - but if you look to the right of that picture you can see where the traffic is signposted up the Westerleigh road off the roundabout.

(Gone midnight and some bugger is still letting off fireworks)