Driving and Roads

Perfectly OK as long as you have the right indicator on and keep a wary eye out. There is a roundabout here where those in the know (and the lazy bastards that sit in the outside lane for miles anyway) start queueing for the go-right lane for some considerable distance from the roundabout. If you are not in the know you find yourself trapped in the left lane from any reasonable distance, and have little choice but hope for a gap or just turn right from the left lane.

Those of us really in the know choose the shorter left lane queue in the first place, and make the buggers on the right keep to the inside track and exit in the right hand lane of two (which then, annoyingly, merge on the slip road before reaching the main M4 carriageway).

You just have to watch for right-hand-laners wanting to take the second exit instead of the third.

One trick I sometimes use is when I am going left or straight ahead and my approach is congested, but the right hand lane is clear. Do a 270° or 360° clockwise turn round the roundabout.
I have been known to do that :)
And if I'm in a good mood I'll take my time and hold up the 'crossing' traffic a bit so more of the queue I just jumped have a chance to get out.

20 years ago when I was doing 18,000 miles a year I developed quite a few strategies for 'enhanced progress' without cutting everyone up. Just observing how the traffic worked in different places and situations. I don't often get into that these days as a 'leisure' driver, but it does seem that at least a few others have now noticed the same and act on it (which reduces my advantage of course). Still plenty of wallies to clog up the rest of it though :p

I occasionally take the right lane at a certain roundabout, aiming to move left to go straight ahead, but my way is blocked by people heading for The Crucible, railway station and also the M1. If the opportunity arises, I indicate right but cut across the roundabout to go straight on. There is always a chance of annoying someone, though, so I never do it if there is another car to my near left, only if the cars there were slow off the mark. If traffic on the roundabout cuts the flow behind me, it is easy enough to slow a bit, let anyone to the left go past, then turn in behind them.

Peanuts. I'm currently doing just shy of 30,000 mpa.
You are forgetting relativity. You are always stationary in your frame of reference.

Even in classical physics, you cover almost that every day just from the Earth rotation. Peanuts! :D

You are forgetting relativity. You are always stationary in your frame of reference.
That only works in a non-accelerating frame.

Even in classical physics, you cover almost that every day just from the Earth rotation. Peanuts! :D
If you want to get picky about it, don't forget the motion of the Sun within the Milky Way, and the motion of the Milky Way within the universe as a whole.

That only works in a non-accelerating frame.

I would hate to find myself moving in a frame fixed to my body.:laugh:

Relativity applies to all frames, but I think you were hinting that a frame fixed in a rigid body does not work because in general relativity there are no rigid bodies? For the sake of an argument, assume you are a point mass.

If a new universe buds out of a spinning black hole, will it not have spin, then?

This junction is quite beautiful, Nanpu Bridge Interchange. Why keep to 2D?1491762379726.jpg

Maps cannot do justice to roads that are on top of one another.

Here is an aerial view of a section of the M1 near Meadowhall. The section between the two roundabouts overlays another road.
1491806370329.jpg
ee4469_bd0febbbe2a4b82365e8a7a339ab05ca.jpg_srz_365_285_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Last edited by a moderator:
Back