Driving and Roads

It does make me laugh when they 'discover' that when the roads are busy roundabouts are a bit rubbish, so they have to add traffic lights and extra food parts so the traffic doesn't grind to a stop.

It does make me laugh when they 'discover' that when the roads are busy roundabouts are a bit rubbish, so they have to add traffic lights and extra food parts so the traffic doesn't grind to a stop.
Auto-correct? What is it supposed to say??

Roundabouts sans traffic lights aren't rubbish per se, it's the stupid users that make them bad. Persuade people to use the lanes and their indicators correctly, and stop them going around like Ben Hur, and they would work just fine.

For example, more than once I have had a horn blared at me for simply being on the roundabout when somebody approaching at 60mph expects to just carry on at 60mph. Those "give way" lines mean something!

Get rid of cameras that penalise for an appropriate use of speed in safe conditions, and replace them with universal red light cameras and "more than 20mpg at a give way line" cameras.

Try this one in LA. That's what happens if you are afraid to build roundabouts!

Judge-Harry-Pregerson-Interchange.jpg

The M49/M5 junction near Bristol gets close:
That's my favourite motorway junction now!
I probably shouldn't go into why, but some sm@rt-@rse tw@t tried to get the better of me there and failed in a big way.
I'd had a cr@p day until then.

1491846362088.jpg Or this in Moscow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Built by robots, driven by idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you not better 20mpg at give way lines then BH?
I'm open to other suggestions for a trigger speed, but I'm sure enforced observance of slowing for a give-way line (and stop for a stop line) would be a major contribution to safety and flow. How I, currently, approach a give way is entirely according to circumstances.

I'm open to other suggestions for a trigger speed, but I'm sure enforced observance of slowing for a give-way line (and stop for a stop line) would be a major contribution to safety and flow. How I, currently, approach a give way is entirely according to circumstances.
You seem to have missed the point. I usually drive at MPH not MPG. This is the Arms.

Auto-correct? What is it supposed to say??
I assume you refer to 'food parts' ... hamburgers?

Roundabouts sans traffic lights aren't rubbish per se, it's the stupid users that make them bad.
The problem with roundabouts is that priority is always from the right, which is fine if traffic flow is fairly intermittent. If traffic is heavy/continuous from two directions, typically at right angles, then the traffic from the clockwise entry gets blocked big-time. Where I used to live this happened during rush-hour at a junction where there was a steady trickle of traffic coming in from a fairly minor road, but it was enough to reduce the flow on a far more significant dual-carriageway bypass to an even smaller trickle. (It was usually quicker to drive through the town instead!)

I'm having a bad day (yes, really - yesterday was heavy going). Shouldn't be in charge of a keyboard.

How come efin Lycra louts get all the perks? Make this road narrower- put in a cyclist controlled lights and do away with the subway. About time the authorities band bloody bikes and made a bit more room for us criminals in low C02 but high NOx particulate emitting diesels that the Government persuaded lots of people. And while I'm at it, stop bringing North American trees to Drax and cut the size of the C02 footprint there.

Don't get me started on cyclists using footpaths. What do they not understand about that word?

Your dirty diesel needs banning. I don't see why a scrappage scheme should be implemented, since

a) That involves buying an overpriced new car, and

b) Diesel drivers have had all the advantages of high mpg already, without the responsibilities, so why reward them twice?

Far better to quadruple the price of diesel, plus £14,000 a year car tax, not £140. That Labour government did plenty of stupid things, diesel was one, and signing off the EU treaty instead of putting it to a vote was another.

On imported wood and carbon neutrality, did nobody even think about how long a tree takes to grow back?

Back