Driving and Roads

Don't get me started on cyclists using footpaths. What do they not understand about that word?
What really annoys me is that one or other of the local councils (Borough or County), likes to have joint pavement and cycle tracks in some places and not others. The sinage signage is confusing. There are shared pavement/cycle and bus/cycle lanes covering the same road. Where do the cyclists go? Get off the f'ing pavement and go play with the buses so I can have my walk in relative peace. Some a... hole on a cycle, on the pavement (not a shared pavement), nearly knocked over a passenger alighting from a bus. Another junction has short cycle tracks on the pavement (on a blind corner as well) and yet also has a red advanced cycle only zone at the traffic lights on the road. Again. where do the cyclists go?:mad:

Last edited:
Don't get me started on local authorities deciding to close roads and disrupt an entire area for some running or cycling race or whatever - do they ever ask our permission????

They should need it though, unless it was in their manifesto at the time of election. It's a PUBLIC highway, they shouldn't be making it inconvenient for the PUBLIC without consulting and getting approval from the PUBLIC.

Same goes for street furniture outside shops and cafes - when I were a lad, any shopkeeper putting stuff on the pavement outside their shop would get a right royal earwigging.

Same goes for street furniture outside shops and cafes - when I were a lad, any shopkeeper putting stuff on the pavement outside their shop would get a right royal earwigging.
Not always just outside their shop. Some blithering idiot local butcher has his A board attached to a lamp post on the main road. Problem is, his shop is a good 200 yards away down three (short) roads (or slightly nearer on foot by the local dog dirt alley).

n the back wheel to bring their attention to the fact that they shouldn't be doing that, but just behind the front forks for maximum dramatic effect.

And if your dog runs in front of them and they are going too fast, have to brake hard and injure themselves, the b*stards can sue you. I am not sure whether the same applies to a youngster running out. We are constantly approached by cyclists at 20mph+. What happened to adjusting your speed so you can stop safely? Maybe they don't do that as motorists either. Passing a child or dog at more than 5mph is dangerous. Even adults may not notice them as they can't be bothered to ring a bell, and how do they know we aren't deaf anyway? Yet they zip past with inches to spare.

Our local authority has designated some paths alongside main roads as foot/cycle, but there is no line or indication as to which side is for which, ie. there isn't a 'side'. Which is good as it introduces enough uncertainty to make the cyclists take care. Of course this is a relative backwater, so we aren't inundated with Jihad cyclists like, say, London.

Our local authority has designated some paths alongside main roads as foot/cycle, but there is no line or indication as to which side is for which, ie. there isn't a 'side'.
Even where they are designated, I've become a militant walker and stray out of my lane. After all, I could be blind and not see the markings. As a walker, I keep being sent towards trees so that the cyclists can ride on the "former" pavement. Then the s*&s swap the cycle lane with the footpath again. If I kept to the designated lane I'd look like a drunk, wandering from one side of the pavement to the other!
When I were a lad it were a requirement that cycles were fitted with bells. Now...
Strangely enough, I've been startled by bells a couple of times recently.

I like what they've done with this bit of cycle track in Camberley.
6af4bcbef650bb31a4988e48779b4fc3.jpg

A daughter drove up from London yesterday and encountered roadworks near the city boundary. She drove cautiously past them and arrived at a roundabout. Some idiot behind then overtook her and drove the wrong way round the roundabout. Now that is dumb! You can't tell on that roundabout if someone is approaching from straight ahead.:confused:

A daughter drove up from London yesterday and encountered roadworks near the city boundary. She drove cautiously past them and arrived at a roundabout. Some idiot behind then overtook her and drove the wrong way round the roundabout. Now that is dumb! You can't tell on that roundabout if someone is approaching from straight ahead.:confused:
The cops are never around to catch someone else, but if you try it...

The cops are never around to catch someone else, but if you try it...
There is now a logic for this. If the person they try to catch does a runner then it is considered too risky to chase them, so they get away. Thus the only people they catch are the (more) law abiding ones like us (probably ... I don't actually know that none of you are criminals) who are taxed, insured, have legit plates and stop when requested. A dying breed I sometimes think.

Back